Something Is Missing But I'm Not Sure What It Is...

Decorating By katharry Updated 19 Oct 2006 , 1:10pm by subaru

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:18am
post #1 of 35

I've been asked to do a cake...... by a dear co-worker who I adore, so I just can't say no..... (you know what i mean?)

She said "If you could just do "Julie" with her dog surrounded by children and her favourite colour is Lime green. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

After I stopped laughing, I though okay I'll give this ago. Here is the dog, it's supposed to be a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. I'm not sure I have this right (but I am known to over think everything! icon_lol.gif ) please please let me know what is missing...... (the real dog is mostly black which is maybe why i am not happy with it as I can't seen to give it much detail)

Thanks
LL
LL

34 replies
Sceona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sceona Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:25am
post #2 of 35

the nose?

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:27am
post #3 of 35

Well, if you're a perfectionist... the tongue is red, not pinky purple (black dogs have odd colored tongues) and the shape on yours is long and skinny, where on the dog it's shorter and fatter.

Then the nose, you're missing it! icon_biggrin.gif

I think it's darling! Btw, when you do the lime green, since the dog is black and white, don't forget to pull some black and white accents into your cake trim... it'll pull it all together quickly. Even just some simple dots or swirls.

Good luck!

Cuppy

mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:27am
post #4 of 35

I was thinking the same thing as soon as I saw it. The nose.

caixa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caixa Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:28am
post #5 of 35

I can't tell you is missing anything, looks good to me icon_biggrin.gif too cute !!!

tgwyn55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tgwyn55 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:29am
post #6 of 35

very cute! if anything, I would add a little white above the nose and maybe a little pink to the inside of the ears.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:30am
post #7 of 35

Your doggie is cute. Do you really want it to look like the bull terrier? I say go with cute. I look forward to seeing the whole cake.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:32am
post #8 of 35

I say give him a nose and he will be darling! Isn't it fun to do those figures? Be sure to post the final pic!

katharry Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:36am
post #9 of 35

I have not stopped laughing. How could I have forgotten the nose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Thank you!!!! From the bottom of my heart
LL

mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:38am
post #10 of 35

So cute. He looks much better! Now he can smell how good the cake is! icon_wink.gif

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:46am
post #11 of 35

Very cute. icon_razz.gif He still needs a little white above the nose. Maybe make his ears a little more pointy?? thumbs_up.gif

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:50am
post #12 of 35

He looks so much better with his nose, but he was adorable to begin with.

Compared to the pic, your dog looks like a puppy, where the real pic looks like an adult dog. (not a puppy). Maybe it's just me seeing that???

Other than that, I think if you could resemble his ears a little better....is that even possible???

The dog in the pic has pointy ears and they stand up more.

But, yours is so adorable!!!!!

KimmysKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmysKakes Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:57am
post #13 of 35

I would try to put his nose where the vertical line above the nose is because the vertical line needs to be underneath the nose. It needs to look more "piggish". And definitely put some white above the nose, too. Yes, try to make the ears smaller and pointier. Good luck. It looks so cute, as is though, but definitely "puppyish". icon_wink.gif

Joolz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joolz Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:08am
post #14 of 35

I think his cheeks and and jaw need to be more square then I think he will look a lot more like the dog in the picture. Good Luck! I bet you are sorry you asked us now after all these replies.. Just kidding! Take Care! icon_biggrin.gif

Joolz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joolz Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:11am
post #15 of 35

Sorru I meant cheeks to top of the jaw line should be squared off. icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:16am
post #16 of 35

Boy, I was wondering how he was going to sniff other dogs butts! icon_lol.gif

With the nose he is adorable. You did a lovely job. Someone else mentioned moving the nose up a little... that would be good, give him those droopy upper lips. He is so adorable, you did such a great job. Don't stress over the puppy vs. dog thing... her dog was a pup once, and who doesn't love remembering those days? It's like a kid... wouldn't you rather look at baby pictures of your sweet pumpkin instead of the smart mouthed teen that's standing there in front of you? hahahah! Teasing! (Mine is still a baby so I have all of that to look forward to! YIKES!)

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:19am
post #17 of 35

How about pointier ears instead of rounded! He is completely adorable both the live version and the modeled!!! icon_lol.gif

Amy

katharry Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:32am
post #18 of 35

Okay poor doggy. Here he is after the extreme makeover..

I didnt add white to his face because the picture I posted isnt the actual dog, the real dog has a spot on his leg and markings on his chest.

Feel free to comment, that is exactly why I love love love this site. If it wasnt for you guys I would have turned up with a cake of a dog with no nose! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
LL

Melvira Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:36am
post #19 of 35

Oh my god, he's cute. I am dying over here and I'm not even a huge fan of that type of dog!

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:38am
post #20 of 35

He's adorably perfect! Now stop messing with the poor dog and move on!

icon_biggrin.gif

katharry Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:41am
post #21 of 35

Yip I think he's done.... now only "julie" her children and the lime green cake to go.........

Do any of you every wonder in a middle of a cake how you got yourself into this icon_confused.gif

thank you all again (truly!)

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:43am
post #22 of 35

Look how good you do! Are you gonna start teaching classes anytime soon?? icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:44am
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharry

Do any of you every wonder in a middle of a cake how you got yourself into this icon_confused.gif

All the time... *sigh* icon_rolleyes.gif

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:46am
post #24 of 35

that dog is soooo cute....love it!

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:51am
post #25 of 35

Soooooo cute!!!!

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 3:20am
post #26 of 35

I think he looks great

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 3:32am
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharry

All the time... *sigh* icon_rolleyes.gif

Thank GOD I am not alone!! icon_confused.gif Cute doggy by the way! icon_biggrin.gif

mom_of_4girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom_of_4girls Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 3:50am
post #28 of 35

Awww Too Cute!

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 10:53am
post #29 of 35

Perfecto! Don't change a thing! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Melvira - you crack me up!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

bakedandiced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedandiced Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 11:02am
post #30 of 35