Painted Cake

Decorating By sarahnichole975 Updated 24 Aug 2007 , 3:34am by superstar

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:32am
post #1 of 39

I'm so excited about this. I just needed to share this with my CC buds!

I am so excited. I have had a cake buddy, who's worked with me around my little bar for around a year. We've learned and grown so much working together. Well at the beginning of July, she and her husband moved back home to Canada. And I've been so sad to loose my buddy.

WELL, we tried to do one "do whatcha wanna do, try something new" cake a month. And the last one we got to do together was for our July's Girl's Night. For months we had talked about doing a painted cake using one of the greats as inspiration. Well, before she left we decided to do a painted cake, recreating great works of art, and throwing in a couple of our own. Well she took the pictures with her incredible camera, and I didn't have any, and I JUST got these from her tonight. Hope you enjoy.... icon_biggrin.gif
LL

38 replies
sarahnichole975 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:38am
post #2 of 39

Oops, wrong button....here's the others.

I have to say that of all the cakes I've done, this is my favorite and it reminds me of a great night! It was so much fun to do!
LL
LL
LL
LL

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 39

They turned out incredible!! icon_surprised.gifthumbs_up.gif Do you mind sharing how exactly you do the paint?

iheartbirthdaycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartbirthdaycake Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 39

Wow, those are amazing!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 39

OMG!!!!! Wayyyyy cool!!!!!!!
((((((totally impressed)))))))))

sarahnichole975 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 39

I WOULD LOVE TO SHARE...Mama always taught me to play nice and share...

Okay, so I use a combo of things to get my "paint". First I will tell you that Americolor white and black are necessities. I also use almond or lemon EMULSION. Every time I talk about it, no one seems to know what I mean. I get it at a local supply store, but I would guess you can order it from somewhere. I use it for flavoring my cakes, icings, and painting. It evaporates well when used for painting, but is thicker so it has a nice consistency, not too watery. And you can mix it with wilton gel colors, petal dust, or luster dust for a nice paint. Also the Americolor white with gel colors is nice. I use a variety of brushes, but my favs are the tiny thin ones and the ones that taper out flat, (sorry I don't know the names of the types of brushes.) The paints do dry a bit quickly, so it's a bit harder to blend. I use a big plate for my pallette and when they start to dry on the plate, I just mix in a drop of my emulsion. Most of the americolors work real well by themselves. They're close to paint in consistency, but I find they dry way fast. As far as the technique in the painting, I just do one section at a time and layer.

Thanks for the compliments and please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 11:58am
post #7 of 39

Wow!!! I looked at them in the gallery but seeing them all together they are all so awesome!! If you could give me like a smidgen of your talent that would be greatly appreciated...please send to....123 inspiration Lane icon_biggrin.gif

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 12:05pm
post #8 of 39

OMG!!! This cake looks so cool!!! You guys did a fabulous job! Is that BC that you painted on? I often wondered if it would be easy to paint on BC. BTW, I noticed you are from LA. My sister lives in Leesville.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 12:07pm
post #9 of 39

sarahnichole-what a fun and creative project to do with your cake buddy! These are really amazing! Very nice job!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 12:10pm
post #10 of 39

Wow!!!

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 12:13pm
post #11 of 39

Very nice and interesting ideal. You two did a really neat cake and the memories will last a life time. Please tell your friend I said GREAT JOB.

honeybearcreek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeybearcreek Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 12:26pm
post #12 of 39

Very cool. You and your buddy are uber-talented. Love the art!

Hugs,
Diana in VA

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 12:26pm
post #13 of 39

those are so great. I love the scream.

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 12:38pm
post #14 of 39

WHOA!!!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif You did a fantastic job!!!!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 12:43pm
post #15 of 39

INCREDIBLE! Can't WAIT until tomorrow to show my art instructor! She loves it when I show her painted cakes!

PS Incoming PM for you with questions!!

Beth in KY

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 12:45pm
post #16 of 39

OMG, I just realized all these pics are on the same cake! icon_eek.gif WOW! icon_eek.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 12:51pm
post #17 of 39

Wow, Sarah! You and your friend did a fantastic job on your painted cakes! I want to be able to do that so bad but have yet to take any art classes.
Did this project inspire you to do more painted cakes or was one enough? Also, how long did it take you to paint your cake?

TIA icon_smile.gif

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 12:59pm
post #18 of 39

WOW! TOO COOL!

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 1:15pm
post #19 of 39

Both of you have talent. All are recognizable paintings from the masters.And to think you used cake to paint them!I'd get some canvas and acrylics or oils and start doing my own paintings.No kidding.

wgoat5 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:10pm
post #20 of 39

I agree with Omicake and I think you need to make me the first one for my BIRTHDAY icon_biggrin.gif lol

sarahnichole975 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 3:22pm
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife1

OMG!!! This cake looks so cool!!! You guys did a fabulous job! Is that BC that you painted on? I often wondered if it would be easy to paint on BC. BTW, I noticed you are from LA. My sister lives in Leesville.

No, it's fondant. Not really sure how well painting on bc would do, I'd be scared icon_eek.gif .

sarahnichole975 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 3:28pm
post #22 of 39

LOL @ Omnicake!!! My hubby will KILL me if I take on something else!!!

And to answer you Teecakes, if I'm remembering correctly I think it took the two of us working at the same time 6 hours to do the painting. So an average of 2 hours per panel, and 12 hours of combined work. Which makes this one impractical 8 inch cake!!! Luckily it was just for our girls. We pulled the panels off the cake, unable to stand to see them cut, and she took them home to canada with her determined to do something with them. And I loved the technique. I do small amounts of painting on a lot of cakes, but would love to do more like this, if I could find someone to pay the right $$$ for it. Though I thought it could be a nice middle or top tier for a cake with the other tier(s) just simple to set it off.

wgoat5 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 3:31pm
post #23 of 39

What would you have to charge for a cake like that? About 150 small round?

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 3:45pm
post #24 of 39

You guys did an awesome job. thanks for sharing your tips.

sarahnichole975 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 6:04pm
post #25 of 39

Christi, ya know we discussed it, and decided for that 8 inch square we'd have to charge something REDICULOUS like $200 to make it worth our while. Yeah, like $8+_per serving. Which I suppose isn't unheard of, but I can tell ya I personally wouldn't do it.

wgoat5 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 6:54pm
post #26 of 39

But see that is where you are wrong...SOMEBODY would buy a 8 per slice cake...You SHOULD have it on your list...there is always that person who orders fois gras ya know??? LIke a Mardi Gras....somebody rich wanting to show off...painted Sarah Van Picasso icon_smile.gif

(((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))) do it.....

Steph2325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph2325 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 8:29pm
post #27 of 39

That cake is CRAZY beautiful! There are always people out there willing to pay exorbitant prices for something unique and special. I would advertise that one!! Terrific job, gals!

Happy Day,
Steph

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 8:56pm
post #28 of 39

Do you oaint on BC or fondant or both and which one is the easiest , and do you have to let the BC crust to paint it, Thanks

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 8:57pm
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnichole975

LOL @ Omnicake!!! My hubby will KILL me if I take on something else!!!

And to answer you Teecakes, if I'm remembering correctly I think it took the two of us working at the same time 6 hours to do the painting. So an average of 2 hours per panel, and 12 hours of combined work. Which makes this one impractical 8 inch cake!!! Luckily it was just for our girls. We pulled the panels off the cake, unable to stand to see them cut, and she took them home to canada with her determined to do something with them. And I loved the technique. I do small amounts of painting on a lot of cakes, but would love to do more like this, if I could find someone to pay the right $$$ for it. Though I thought it could be a nice middle or top tier for a cake with the other tier(s) just simple to set it off.

I am not surprised at all it took each of you 6 hours to do those kinds of paintings. It is obvious you took some time creating that cake and with your talent you should put the picture in your portfolio with a minimum $200.00 price tag! I am one that would pay that much for a cake if I knew the work was going to be as good as yours! Gosh, I reeeeaaalllly need to get enrolled in some basic art classes!
Your work is beautiful and well worth the price you would charge! thumbs_up.gif

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 9:14pm
post #30 of 39

As my high school kids would say: You've got mad skills, girl ! You really should put this cake in your porfolio & offer it (for an appropriate price). There are people who are willing to pay for something unique and have lots of WOW factor

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%