Cream Cheese Icing??

Decorating By tazzack Updated 26 Feb 2007 , 2:56pm by Jenn123

tazzack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazzack Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 8

Is there any way to flavour buttercream to taste like cream cheese icing?
I tried making the cream cheese icing recipe foud on CC...but I couldn't get it to smooth out nicely???

7 replies
aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 8

If you can get a copy of Rose Levy Berenbaum's book, The Cake Bible, she has a wonderful White Chocolate Cream Cheese icing there. It's truly delicious.

However, it sounds as if your problem is more with mixing smoothly. Your cream cheese absolutely MUST be room temperature, as does your butter (or whatever other shortening/oil you are using). When you mix these two together, do it slowly in your mixer and scrape down the bowl and beaters/paddle frequently, until it is all smooth. Once you have that accomplished, your icing should be successful.

I know it takes more time, and it's a real pain to do, but it really is worth it in the end.

Good Luck

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 8

I use the Decorators Cream Cheese frosting recipe from this site and it is awesome. Smooths, pipes, and crusts just like regular BC. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo

I use the Decorators Cream Cheese frosting recipe from this site and it is awesome. Smooths, pipes, and crusts just like regular BC. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I did a search for the Decorators Cream Cheese frosting recipe and could not find it. Is it the same as the Crusting Cream Cheese Icing recipe?

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 8

I converted my buttercream recipe into cream cheese flavor. It is an all shortening recipe so I made it half shortening and half butter. I use Lorann's cheesecake flavoring and butter flavoring. It tastes awesome, doesn't need refrigerating and won't melt.

http://www.lorannoils.com/Productsdetail.asp?ProductName=CHEESECAKE+FLAVOR&SubColumnName=Flavorings

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn123

I converted my buttercream recipe into cream cheese flavor. It is an all shortening recipe so I made it half shortening and half butter. I use Lorann's cheesecake flavoring and butter flavoring. It tastes awesome, doesn't need refrigerating and won't melt.

http://www.lorannoils.com/Productsdetail.asp?ProductName=CHEESECAKE+FLAVOR&SubColumnName=Flavorings

How much of the Lorann's cheesecake flavoring and butter flavoring do you put? I purchased some of the Cheesecake flavoring and have been wanting to try it.

EverlastingSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EverlastingSweets Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 8

I use the crusting cream cheese frosting all the time. Just make sure that you have sifted your powdered sugar and make sure your cream cheese is not too hard, remove the wrappers from the cc and let them sit out for at least 20 minutes to kinda soften.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 8

For a full Classic KitchenAid bowl- 9 drops of cheesecake and 2 butter. It is strong!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%