Unbreakable Lace?

Decorating By 2508s42 Updated 20 Aug 2007 , 11:59pm by 2508s42

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 3:05am
post #1 of 12

Has anyone seen that unbreakable lace stuff that sugar craft sells? I know we are banning them, icon_smile.gif But I already bought some, and I don't know how to use it. Anyone?

11 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 3:21am
post #2 of 12

If you are referring to unbreakable gel by Adele Neish, I have her book that describes how it is used.

You mix the powder with water, leave to infuse before using. It can be used for lots of cake decorations.

It shrinks on drying so if you will pipe with it, pipe thicker than required. It will maintain the shape but the thickness will shrink. It can also be cut with scissors when dry.

heidihill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidihill Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 6:39am
post #3 of 12

I have a question about this unbreakable gel - is it edible?

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 9:11am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidihill

I have a question about this unbreakable gel - is it edible?

It is supposed to be edible - but I once tried a nibble and it was like chewing on uncooked spaghetti (but with even less flavour)! I would only ever use it as a removable decoration.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 9:28am
post #5 of 12

here is a link to a picture in the gallery, of butterflies made with this gel
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=118723

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 9:31am
post #6 of 12

Hrm.. I thought she was talking about Sugarveil. I would love to get some of that! It looks like so much fun. icon_smile.gif

http://www.sugarveil.com/icing_dispenser/design_patterns.htm

The website shows a few ways to use it in downloadable pdf files here..

http://www.sugarveil.com/confectionery_icing/icing_instructions.htm#instructions

If this isn't what you're talking about, then I'm at a total loss. I've never heard of the other stuff mentioned, but it sounds interesting!!

Hope this helps,

Holly

**edit** Just saw the link SugarFrosted posted. Those are beautiful. Thanks for posting, I wouldn't have known what it was...heh It looks like the same kind of stuff, though. I wonder if they are.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 9:44am
post #7 of 12

Hollyanna, they look like they could be the very same product, marketed by two different companies.

The SugarVeil links you gave...I am amazed at the "crocheted lace" look in some of the pictures. Imagine how much time it took, just to pipe all that detail.

Hollyanna70 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 9:47am
post #8 of 12

I agree!! I would love to be able to use this, but since I'm a hobbyist, I can't really talk myself into buying it.. hehe

Holly

heidihill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidihill Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 11:48am
post #9 of 12

SugarVeil is not the same as unbreakable gel. SugarVeil is flexible, like rubber and unbreakable is hard like royal icing.

Hollyanna70 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 7:17pm
post #10 of 12

Ahh! Learn something new every day. icon_smile.gif

Thanks, Heidi!

Holly

2508s42 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 9:33pm
post #11 of 12

thanks everyone. I thought I was ordering sugarveil, but apparently ordered unbreakable lace. Oops.

Thanks for the directions and the help. I want to make a tiara with it that is not as thick royal.

2508s42 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 11:59pm
post #12 of 12

so, I just made the stuff, and right now it looks a lot like cottage cheese. It has a BAD taste. How long am I supposed to let it sit? I had made the tiara earlier, (with royal)but my son climbed on the counter to get a cup GGGRRRR and broke it. I am hoping this stuff does not take as long to dry! Does anyone know??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%