Cake Decorating At Home

Decorating By Janette Updated 19 Oct 2006 , 2:11pm by lionladydi

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 15

Does anyone find that clients are hesitate to do business from someone who bakes out of their home? I am very fussy. I clean the kitchen before starting and clean as I go. When I am done with one cake I start from the beginning cleaning the kitchen again. I also wear a hair net, plastic gloves and a clean apron. I know I have to be cleaner than some bakeries but I have to wonder when the bride finds out you are working out of your home if that is a problem. Has anyone run across this problem?

14 replies
jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 15

I have had people come and meet me at my home. I always make sure that it is clean. When I make a cake, I always keep in mind that people will be eating it. I don't use hair nets but my hair is always pulled back. I don't wear gloves. I really don't touch the cake or icing.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 7:45am
post #3 of 15

I only do the hair net glove thing when I am actually baking. I do make sure that my house is clean and my hair is up or pulled back. One of my friends thought it would be a good idea to mention that I work out of my home when they call for an appointment so that they are not suprised when they arrive and it's not a big bakery.

cakequeen40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen40 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 12:10pm
post #4 of 15

I have yet a client to hesitate because I do it at home. I think they know it will be cheaper, so they come here. When someone is coming to talk about cakes, I make sure to clean my kitchen extra clean.

tazzack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazzack Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 15

I am very lucky...my husband built be a seperate kitchen in my basement which will only be used for my business!! There is even a lock on the door so the kids can't get in!!! icon_lol.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 12:23pm
post #6 of 15

I dont think most people mind having home baked goods, if they did they wouldn't order from you. If i was ordering from a home business though i would want to know if they were smokers or had cats, cause thats the 2 things i cant stand. cats because they jump onto counters.

for myself i wear white clothes, an apron and a hair net, and only gloves if i have a cut on my hand. Plus i prefer to do it when no one is home or at night when they're in bed or early in the morning, before they get up.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 12:26pm
post #7 of 15

I think the thing to remember is that when we work out of our homes, we are not running a legal cake business. I'm guilty along with many others on CC. I only do cakes for those I know well and they know that I run a clean ship!! I have always been afraid to branch out too far for fear that someone will not be pleased and cause me problems.

I would guarantee that my kitchen is cleaner than most bakeries or restaurants that I have observed. Do I have all the requirements in place if I were to be inspected by health officials? NO! The important things? YES! I owned a restaurant for 13 years and I know what the requirements are. Some of them are ridiculous, IMO. For example, I got marked down because the lid on the dumpster in the alley (shared by 5 businesses) was not closed.

My biggest problem is getting the kitchen cleaned up afterwards before they arrive to pick up the cake. Mine usually looks like Katrina went through when I'm finished with a cake. icon_lol.gif

Diane

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

I owned a restaurant for 13 years and I know what the requirements are. Some of them are ridiculous, IMO. For example, I got marked down because the lid on the dumpster in the alley (shared by 5 businesses) was not closed.

I had a friend who worked in a restaurant. One month, she got bad marks for a tear in a window screen. She fixed it. The next month, when the health inspector came in, she pointed out "I fixed that screen". Health inspector said "Oh, I'm not looking for that this month." icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Oh..... and I'm SURE we all check out the back alley's to make sure the dumpster lid is closed before we decide to eat INSIDE the restaurant! Geesh!!! icon_eek.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 12:52pm
post #9 of 15

I'm very fortunate to have a housekeeper, so the kitchen is washed down every day and then, I clean everything with clorox before beginning any baking or decorating. I do use gloves but not a hairnet, my hair is very short. I clean as I go and clean very well after. I don't sell my cakes, but I certainly don't want any contamination showing up in, or on, a cake. I freak out when I find specks (of who knows what) in the powdered sugar or a cake mix. Clean is a way of life for a baker, I hope.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 15

lionladydi-there are several members that work out of their homes and their businesses are completely legal and inspected. It just depends what state you are from. Not trying to be cocky-it's just that sometimes it is legal. Some people are fortunate simply because of geography. icon_confused.gif

lionladydi Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:04pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdqueen

lionladydi-there are several members that work out of their homes and their businesses are completely legal and inspected. It just depends what state you are from. Not trying to be cocky-it's just that sometimes it is legal. Some people are fortunate simply because of geography. icon_confused.gif

Oh yes........I know. I didn't mean to imply we were all not legal. Those of you that can license out of your homes are so lucky. That's not an option in many states. I have seen on here so many people that run into brick walls when trying to get a legal business established. That was what I based my comments on. My apologies to those who have worked so hard to establish their businesses. icon_redface.gif

Diane

lionladydi Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:22pm
post #12 of 15

Indydebi, health inspections are there for a reason and I understand and appreciate that but some of the rules are silly IMO. I live in a small town where everyone knows every business and how it is taken care of. I failed my health inspection because of: lid open on dumpster, hole in screen door that could allow varmints, rodents, etc. enter (it was about a one inch slit in the screen), no lid on the bathroom trash can, no test strips to test the disinfecting water, and one item without a lid in the refrigerator. I called and warned all the other cafes and the two bars in town. The bar next door is so filthy that I am afraid to drink out of one of their glasses and she passed. She got marked down on a couple of things but passed. Needless to say, I never called and warned her again when I knew he was in town. I was irate and everyone thought it was hilarious. I was better known as "Mrs. Clean" as I was always cleaning and bleaching everything in the place. That happened several years ago and people still tease me about it.

No one wants to be on my cooking and cleaning team at Lions Club because they say I am too fussy about the cleaning. All my bleaching and cleaning has contributed to my lung problems (I have COPD and on full time oxygen) along with other things, like smoking for many years. The doctor tells me I have to clean with vinegar water now. Yeah, right. She doesn't realized I'm addicted to the smell of bleach. icon_lol.gif

I often wonder who sits behind a desk and makes up all these regulations. Seems like the important things are overlooked. One health inspector told me that he would always find something wrong--that was his job. After that I figured out to leave something minor that was obvious so he didn't dig and dig to find something else. icon_lol.gif

Diane

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:55pm
post #13 of 15

I am so with you on my kitchen looking like a Tornado went through after I decorate a cake - tips, couplers, bowls scraped of different colors of icing, spatulas. The clean-up is HORRIBLE. Nothing I make in the kitchen is messier than cake decorating and I cook a lot of things! LOL

I have a cat and I forget how lucky I am that he's a bit lame. When he was 1.5 years old he broke his tibia and fibula in a back leg because of a freak accident. He had surgery and a pin put in his leg - the whole bit. He doesn't limp, but he can't jump. He just doesn't have the strength. The highest he can get is a dining room chair - so no window sills, counters, table, etc. When I' baking/decorating, I keep him closed in the lower level of the house (where his litter box is). Plus, even if I let him wander, we have baby gates to the kitchen that he can't jump over, bu tyou are right, MOST cats just snicker at baby gates and find them a jumping exercise! LOL Can't believe that it's been a blessing he had that accident, but it sure has come in handy with keeping him out of things!

that's an interesting question about hair... I have waist long hair, but i ALWAYS wear it up and I never find my hair in the food or kitchen. Do I need to wear a net?

My biggest worry right now is I got Boll weavils in a bag or organic WW flour. I quickly got rid of the flour, but while it was still unopened in the cupboard, they migrated to the corn meal and rice and anything else in that cupboard. I learned about the trick of putting bay leaves in the bag/container so I'll do that when I restock. I just am panicky now every time I open a new bag of flour! NEVER had them before in 13 years of cooking and it came from the store that way - ick!

Melissa

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:57pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

One health inspector told me that he would always find something wrong--that was his job. After that I figured out to leave something minor that was obvious so he didn't dig and dig to find something else. icon_lol.gif

hahaha! Sounds like a great idea! I had a cousin who ran a number of businesses so he was always getting audited by the IRS. He did the same thing. He said, "Their job is to find SOMETHING to bill you for, so he'd be "negligent" in his mileage record keeping or something trivial. He said "as long as they find SOMETHING, no matter how small, then they feel like they've done their job, so I just try to help 'em out!"

He's my favorite cousin, by the way! icon_wink.gif

lionladydi Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:11pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

hahaha! Sounds like a great idea! I had a cousin who ran a number of businesses so he was always getting audited by the IRS. He did the same thing. He said, "Their job is to find SOMETHING to bill you for, so he'd be "negligent" in his mileage record keeping or something trivial. He said "as long as they find SOMETHING, no matter how small, then they feel like they've done their job, so I just try to help 'em out!"

He's my favorite cousin, by the way! icon_wink.gif

He sounds like my kinda favorite cousin! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%