Post Your Favorite Way To Make Cake Balls

Decorating By peacockplace Updated 18 Jul 2005 , 7:51pm by abbey

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 31

I thought it would be fun to see what are all of your favorites. I'm trying a new one today, and if it works... I'll post it.

30 replies
llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 31

Over the weekend I did Cookies-n-Cream. It was one of thos kitchen disasters that turned out really well.

I used chocolate cake and white "Ding Dong" filling. It was too wet, so I grabbed a box of Oreo cookie crumbs and added that. Covered in white chocolate and they were delicious!!

I also did Peanut Butter ones--I read that here, though.

Lisa

peacockplace Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 31

WOW that sound so yummy!!!! The possibilities are endless! icon_biggrin.gif

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 31

my favorite is to add peanut butter and powdered sugar to cake scraps and then roll out into balls and dip in dark chocolate. Yummy!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 31

great topic!!!!!
i had some cake that was getting old, so i mixed the choc. cake leftovers with some cruchy peanut butter then dipped them in choc. oh man, the kids loved them!!!
i am going to try something new after reading all your post.
melody

Esther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Esther Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 31

i only made cakeballs one time. got the recipe from my cake decorating book. i mixed the crumbled cake with either white or dark melted chocolate. they call it chocolate truffles. i decorated them with mini marschm., sugarhearts and sprinkles.

tasted sooo good, but a little bit to sweet for my taste. next time, i will use bitter chocolate and maybe put some pb, mini marschmellow or hershey kiss in the middle

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 31

I took my cake crumbs and and added my strawberry filling mix and then I dipped them in chocolate candy melts that had almond flavouring and they were soooooooo good....tasted like chocolate covered cherries and strawberries!

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 31

OMG! I just love this site and I am learning how much that I DO NOT KNOW! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Never heard of cake balls! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

I have been wondering what to do with all of my cake cut offs. I have been putting them in zip lock bags and giving them away. My neighbors line up for them!

This is a great idea! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

bj icon_wink.gif

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 31

This is a great topic. I haven't experimented yet, but from the sounds of it so far, I just may have to! The Peanut Butter sound great! When marketing these, does anyone have a different name for them, than Cake Balls. Everybody at my work is in love with them, but they don't like the name. Everything I have come up with, to me, has a nasty overtone to them. Could just be a dirty mind though. icon_confused.gif Thanks!

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 7:10pm
post #10 of 31

We have named ours Crema LoveHandles...cause if you eat to many...that's what you'll get. We always get a giggle with it. My favorite thing is to ask my husbands Co-workers Has Shane told you about my Lovehandles?

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 7:22pm
post #11 of 31

Around my area we just call them cake truffles!! I make them often as I hate to waste the cake scraps. Italian cream with a little cream cheese icing to hold it together then dipped in melted chocolate is really good. I also have used fillings or preserves in addition to my buttercream icing. Anything that will hold the cake to gether to make a ball will work. I know someone that added bourbon to their italian cream cake truffles and they were excellent!! I freeze my scraps until I am ready to make these. Oh yeah, white or french vanilla cake dipped in orange flavored chocolate is like a "dreamsicle" MMMMMMMmmmmmmm!!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 7:23pm
post #12 of 31

Oh yum, the peanut butter and oreo ones sound so good!

I was actually planning on making some more tonight.

Over the weekend I made 2 different ones for a party:

vanilla cake w/amaretto liquer, dipped in white chocolate

chocolate cake with Bailey's and Heath crunch bits, dipped in chocolate.

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 7:37pm
post #13 of 31

Sorry, everyone, but I've never made cake balls before. So do you just take scraps of cake, mix them with frosting or filling to clump it together into a ball shape and dip them in chocolate? Thanks

peacockplace Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 9:07pm
post #14 of 31

Ok...I've got a winner. I used white cake with leftover bavarian cream, then it was too wet. I added powdered sugar and crunched up some cheap dollar store chocolate chip cookies, and mix it up. Then I dunked them in chocolate. Yummy! It tasted like chocolate dipped cookie dough!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 9:58pm
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aupekkle

Sorry, everyone, but I've never made cake balls before. So do you just take scraps of cake, mix them with frosting or filling to clump it together into a ball shape and dip them in chocolate? Thanks

Yeppers! You got it!

wandy27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandy27 Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 10:09pm
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Quote:

Ok...I've got a winner. I used white cake with leftover bavarian cream, then it was too wet. I added powdered sugar and crunched up some cheap dollar store chocolate chip cookies, and mix it up. Then I dunked them in chocolate. Yummy! It tasted like chocolate dipped cookie dough!

That sounds so good yummmmmmmmm-o!!!

Wandy

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 10:33pm
post #17 of 31

I tried it for the first time a few nights ago.I used Devils Food Chocolate I think I had them a lil too wet.. (too much Icing.But I figured it out.. heheh.) but I put them in the Fridge and got them cold, then I took them and dipped them into Chocolate Almond bark,,(which was really thick.. Need a trick or tip to thin it just a bit) But Dipped them anyway, let them all cool then I put them back in the fridge,, hubby took them to work & the guys were like GIMMIE MORE!! They are sooooo GOOD though.. I can't wait to try the white cake with Strawberry filling.. Yummmyy. this makes me want to go bake a cake just to make more. Next time I will do an assortment, icing, peanut butter and depending on the mix filling or pudding.. yummy.. Thank you all for the Wonderful Ideas!

KrazyKross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKross Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 1:55am
post #18 of 31

I only made cake balls once. I used cookiemans recipe with chocolate cake, rum for the liquid and added mini chocolate chips. Then I dipped them in semi-sweet chocolate. The other half, I used French vanilla creamer for the liquid and added chopped nuts. I dipped these in milk chocolate. Both of them were very popular with the tasting committee.

peacockplace Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 3:12am
post #19 of 31

What do you find is the best way to dip these. Mine tasted great, but didn't look so hot!

msumissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msumissa Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 3:11pm
post #20 of 31

Peacock, I had the same problem, I used the merck's chocolate. It just seemed to thick for me??? But man did they taste great! I am doing a carved guitar cake tonight and i am going to have a lot of cake left over, I think I will try the peanut butter and powdered sugar variety!! Yummy

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 8:16pm
post #21 of 31

I like the candy melts. I have a small crockpot (the kind made for dips) and I melt my melts in that and then I use someone else's tip on here of breaking the two center prongs out of a plastic fork and using it to dip. It works great. I usually dry mine on my cooling rack over a cookie sheet.

emi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emi Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 8:38pm
post #22 of 31

I made the cake balls only once and loved them. I had choc. cake scraps and I used a purchased vanilla icing, (cheepest brand I could find, since I didn't have time to make my own icing) and dipped them in the Wilton's choc. melts. Everyone loved them.
Emi

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 10:36pm
post #23 of 31

If your chocolate is too thick, just add a little crisco in the chocolate before melting it ! I've always used the butter flavored crisco but I am sure the regular is ok too!

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 11:02pm
post #24 of 31

So you make these cake balls bite sizes?

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 4:11am
post #25 of 31

OK, guys my sister and I were messing around with some ideas in the kitchen tonight and came up with the most delicious cake ball I have ever personally tasted! We had some strawberry cakes just plain made from a mix strawberry flavored cakes.... 2- 6 in. X about 3 in.
We put 1/4 c. cream and 3/4 c. milk in the KA and a box of vanilla pudding mix, and blended it. Then we added a 1/2 of an 8. oz. block of cream cheese and added maybe 1/8 c. of the strawberry glaze that you put on cheesecake in there and mixed it....then added the crumbled cakes and mixed for a little bit and..OMG!!!! Then we covered the balls in White chocolate and sprinkled them with toasted chopped pecans...TO DIE FOR!!!!! Kind of tastes like a creamy strawberry cheesecake with white choc on it...MMMMMm

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 1:27pm
post #26 of 31

Now that sounds good KayDay! You two really got creative.

Paramount Crystals are also good for smoother chocolate.

Bubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbles Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 2:09pm
post #27 of 31

abbey - I can't belive I never thought of using my mini crock pot to melt my chocolate for dipping. OMG what a goof I am . Definalty doing that next time.

I never have any scraps left because my boyfriend justs eats them. So I haven't had a chance to make any. Next time I make a cake, I will have to slap his hand. I really want to try the ones with PB.

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 7:14pm
post #28 of 31

Well, this is definitely new to me. Sounds great.

I think I understand how they are made, but does anyone have any pictures they could post, so I can see what they look like?

Also, are there any approximate measurements as to how much cake you should use to how much liquid (or is it icing?) icon_confused.gif

Please clarify. icon_redface.gif

Thanks!

Purple Petunia icon_smile.gif

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 5:37am
post #29 of 31

I tried the Crisco it Worked Wonders!!!! Thank You MrsMissey the chocolate was Much Smoother and So PRETTY! I can't wait to do Strawberries with this. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM..
~Sweet~=0)

peacockplace Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 3:21pm
post #30 of 31

When I made mine, I did them about two bites size. I used a tablespoon scoop, but made them a tiny bit smaller than that. I'm not sure what size everyone else is doing. Are they supposed to be the size of a cupcake, or mini cupcake..... What size does everyone make theirs????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%