Making Hard Candy - Questions.. Please Help!

Sugar Work By bonniebakes Updated 20 Oct 2006 , 8:48pm by SugarCreations

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 9

I made hard candy (like lollipops) for the first time this week. It was my practice run for soemthign that I need to make for this coming weekend. I think it went well, but I have a few questions....

I heated the sugar/water/corn syrup mixture on medium (I have a gas stove and I put it at 6). It took FOREVER to get hot enough (the recipe called for 300 degrees). I mean, it took over an hour and only got to about 240. Is that normal? Should I have turned the heat up some more? I was afraid to burn it.

I got tired of waititng and turned the heat up to 7 after about an hour - - then it started to go up more and got up to 300. It was nice and light colored unitl it got to about 275. Then it turned a pretty amberish color. Did I burn it? Is that why it turned color?

What do I do if I want it to stay clear (or as close to clear as I can get it)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

8 replies
SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 9

Better check your thermometer or get another one sounds like thats the problem. Boiled sugar should only take about 30 minutes start to finish. What type sugar did you use? Granulated sugar should not begin to turn amber until around 320 degrees. Where or what state are you in? You proably should have removed it at 270 sounds like your thermometer is off by about thirty degrees. Couple more questions:

1). Did you brush down the sides of your pan with a pastry brush and warm water?

Rgds Sugarcreations

bonniebakes Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 9

thanks for your response!

I used regular granulated sugar. I thought maybe my thermometer was off too, so I used 2 diffrent thermometers... same temp showed on both.

Should I be turning up thte heat on the stove higher so it doesn't take as long?

I'm in MD.

Yes, I was brushing down the sides - until it started to boil. The recipe that I was using said to stop brushing the sides when it started to boil. Should I have continued to brush the sides down?

thanks!

SugarCreations Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 9

I don't know what your recipe called for as far as brushing down the sides but if it were me I would continue it until I got ready to remove it from the heat. Secondly, I do not know what temp your recipe stated to use , what type pan are you using?

Rgds Sugarcreations

bonniebakes Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 12:02am
post #5 of 9

I used a Cook's Essentials® Hard Anodized Aluminum Nonstick cookware.

does the kind of pot make a difference?

SugarCreations Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 12:35am
post #6 of 9

Yes it does make a difference. The hard anodozied pans are good but not for sugar work. Get a stainless steel pan 2 qt size or a copperpan, stainless will be cheaper at Wal-Mart. The copper and stainless are better conductors of heat. Try one of these I think it will solve your problem.

bonniebakes Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 10:53am
post #7 of 9

thank you for your help!! I'll try another pan next time.

lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 9

What kind of thermometer are you using?

Many require you to have it submersed in 2" of liquid to get an accurate reading.

I'm not sure what a 6 is on your oven, but you don't have to cook it on low, you can crank up the heat a bit. Lots of times I do my IMBC on high. But keep a close eye on it.

I never brush down the sides. Maybe I'm lucky but I never have trouble. Just don't stir or touch it once you put on the heat.

SugarCreations Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 9

Your lucky. Bottom line. Instead of a pastry brush and water you can place a lid on the pan for a few minutes. The moisture created will run down the sides and rinse away the crystals that form on the sides of the pan. As far as stirring goes you can stir just don't do it after it comes to a boil! Shaking or moving around a pan of boiling sugar will ehance crystallization and should be avoided if possible. Look around and see if you can find Shirley O Corrihers book called "Cookwise" she has valuable information in it on candy making and a lot of other things as well. Another book you should look for is Harold Mcgees book "On Food and Cooking" if it deals with food science its in this book and it has great information on sugar as well.

Rgds

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%