A 6 Hr Drive Wedding Is Finally Over!!

Decorating By lizzamaryann Updated 21 Aug 2007 , 4:04am by lizzamaryann

lizzamaryann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzamaryann Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 13

WHEW. WARNING - THIS IS PRETTY LONG BUT GOOD TO KNOW! lol

Thank goodness! I'm quite a newbie, started doing this on & off since Feb.

This is my first CC post ever, but I swear I couldn't have made it without this site. I was asked to make a 3 tiered layered strawberries & cream cake that is 3.5 hrs away.

However, traffic was insane and it took us 6 hrs to get there.
I invested in a HUGE 150 qt cooler, put some dry ice, and put the cake in there.

Since the cake is very perishable, the bride requested that I make the display cake a dummy cake, with the middle tier (for cutting) real cake.
I gladly did, but it took forever....I had to redo the middle tier because the fondant (satin ice) just kept cracking on me (many lessons learned, trust me!)

Anyway....just FYI to anyone who's worried about having to drive many miles to deliver a cake!! This is what I've learned:

- Use dry ice, invest in a big cooler if possible (make sure the cake will fit, I put three 12" round cakes in boxes)
- If using dry ice, make sure the dry ice has somewhere to escape to as it sublimates and KEEP A WINDOW OPEN (as the dry ice sublimates, it's dangerous!)
- I put the dry ice at the bottom, and put the cakes on top.
The cake was in PERFECT cold "firm" condition when we arrived.
Which made the cake cutting ABSOLUTELY effortless.
I wore gloves, dipped the knife in hot water several times as I sliced it and the cake slices were perfect & clean.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, to anyone who frowns against "fake cakes" - I did it solely for the fact that the cake filling my high school friend requested for is highly perishable (strawberries & whipped cream!)

I acted as the cake person and stayed in the back of the kitchen, plated the cake plates (drizzle of chocolate, slice of cake, chocolate dipped strawberries that were provided by the caterer, whipped cream topped with mint leaves!)

All in all, the guests (and most importantly the bride/groom) were very impressed and happy icon_smile.gif
I got positive feedback and the greatest compliment was when the kitchen staff asked if I had extra cake for them! (Which I did icon_smile.gif )

Sooooo....just wanted to share with you guys my experience.
I was soooo stressed with this cake and wanted it to be over.
I do work from home for an online fashion company, so working & planning this cake was difficult for me. I messed up a few times icon_sad.gif

Pic is below of the cake display & plated cake (i didnt get to take a pic of the actual plates that were served, so I imitated it at home w/o the mint leaves & whipped cream)
LL
LL

12 replies
fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 13

Lovely cake! You did a fabulous job!

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 13

Great job! Thanks for all of the info also!

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 13

Beautiful job and great info!!! Congratulations on success!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 13

What a great presentation! Very elegant!

lizzamaryann Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 12:44am
post #6 of 13

thanks guys!!!!! i'm learning a lot from this website also. icon_smile.gif

novacaine24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novacaine24 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 12:55am
post #7 of 13

Your cake is gorgeous, and your presentation very elegant. Congratulations - you lived through it! thumbs_up.gif

jarjarmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jarjarmom Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 1:02am
post #8 of 13

Beautiful cake, and how nice of you to do that lovely plating for them! I know it is so stressful to do a wedding cake for anyone let alone a friend but, you did her proud!!! Congrats thumbs_up.gif

frog80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frog80 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 12:54pm
post #9 of 13

Very nice presentation!!!

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 9:18pm
post #10 of 13

I love your cake, its beautiful thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
you must be sooo proud now!!

BlueDevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueDevil Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 12:08am
post #11 of 13

Lizza,

Not sure which is more impressive...the cake itself or the fact you know what sublimation is!

Dry ice sublimates of "evaporates" from a solid to carbon dioxide gas at room temperature, and can be a deadly asphyxiation hazard in an enclosed space, like a car on a road trip!

All...please be careful.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 12:12am
post #12 of 13

A big welcome to you, your cake is beautiful & sounds absolutely delicious. Glad you survived that trip & more important glad the cake survived. Thanks for the tips.

lizzamaryann Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:04am
post #13 of 13

a BIG thank you to everyone, I really appreciate the positive feedback.
I was getting so annoyed with the cake since the fondant just didn't want to work with me lol.

Yes, I definitely researched about dry ice online before I brought it out with me...I've read many stories about people driving with it without an open window and started to get light headed! Not a good sign.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%