Royal Icing And Color Flow Questions

Decorating By TractorDiva Updated 20 Aug 2007 , 4:30pm by DianeLM

TractorDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TractorDiva Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 11

I several burning questions after this week's Wilton class where we made RI and CF for the first time.

Why does CF smell...bad?
Why can't RI be used just like CF?
And most importantly: How do I store left over RI (don't care about the goo-gobs of CF left over!)? Right now, after making more pink and purple flowers than I know what do to with, my trash compacter looks like a rainbow threw up in there...

I love my Wilton class, but dang we throw a lot of sugar away every week.

10 replies
Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 11

First of all RI can be refridgerated for about 2 weeks before it needs to be thrown away or used up (I know people who have used RI flowers that were a year old).

2nd Whenever I use color flow I always dilute RI, because according to my Wilton teacher the only reason to use Wilton's color flow mix is because you bought it with the course 2 kit. It's just a waste of money and time because diluted RI works just as well. That being said I don't know why color flow smells when it is made with the mix because I don't use it.

Hope that helps!
Deborah

shannonann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonann Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 11

I thought that my teacher told us that color flow is stronger/less brittle than royal icing. So far I've only used color flow so a haven't compared the two.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 11

Those RI flowers I keep in an airtight container and use whenever I need them, they last forever it seems. I personally have never used color flow, but have wondered what would be the difference between color flow and thinned RI? I love watching these threads, I learn something new ALL the time.........................

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 11

My Wilton teacher said that real color flow is a little bit stronger, but not worth the extra money for the special mix. After all when made with diluted RI it still is glossy and fills in the piping without overflowing.

Deborah

Oh yeah one more benfit of using diluted RI is that you can thicken it back up with powered sugar and still use it as regular RI, that way you don't have left over color flow.

TractorDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TractorDiva Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 12:11am
post #6 of 11

Thanks everyone for the input and info! I was told that you couldn't refrigerate RI, and leaving it sit out seemed icky. So I just tossed it all...wah! What a waste...sigh...(I sound like my mother! icon_smile.gif )

I am glad to hear that thinned RI will produce similar results to the color flow mix. Since we had to make both for last class, I was able to compare them side by side. That is how I noticed the smell.

schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 12:28am
post #7 of 11

I love color flow. I use RI when i'm doing tiara's and such but i've found that it dries solid on a cookie after a day. (great if you're using markers on the cookie) Color flow gets a hard layer but stays soft and keeps the cookie softer. It does eventually dry hard, but my cookies don't usually last that long. This is just my experience. I know most of the people here use RI. I usually flavor the colorflow with a little almond or vanilla. I've only stored it in the fridge for 2-3 days.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 1:17pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TractorDiva

Thanks everyone for the input and info! I was told that you couldn't refrigerate RI, and leaving it sit out seemed icky. So I just tossed it all...wah! What a waste...sigh...(I sound like my mother! icon_smile.gif )

I am glad to hear that thinned RI will produce similar results to the color flow mix. Since we had to make both for last class, I was able to compare them side by side. That is how I noticed the smell.

You don't need to put RI in the fridge - there is nothing in it that will spoil. You can keep it in an airtight container for several weeks (apply plastic wrap over the icing; I also keep colors in plastic bags so I don't need to mix up more - especially when I have leftover red). Some people will tell you you need to rebeat the icing but I find you can just whip it up with a fork.

I find colorflow is a tad bit shinnier than RI; but don't waste my money on it because you can thin RI just fine.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 11

I use RI exclusively for my run-in sugar. And I do A LOT of run-in sugar. Wilton "invented" Colorflow so they'd have a product to sell along with their run sugar lesson. It's a little stronger than RI, but as others have said, not enough to justify paying 5 times more for it than a can of meringue powder.

RI can be stored at room temp for a couple of weeks, BUT --- you won't want to use rebeaten RI for run-in sugar pieces. It's not as strong as freshly made RI. Go ahead -- ask me how I know this! icon_biggrin.gif

nisha_ru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nisha_ru Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 11

Can you use luster dust on royal?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 4:30pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisha_ru

Can you use on royal?

Absolutely. You'll want to mix the dust with some alcohol and paint it on, otherwise it won't stick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%