Bad Cake.......turned Good!!!!!!

Decorating By ConnieB Updated 19 Oct 2006 , 12:00pm by KrisD13

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 10

Well, I had decided I was goign to make the scratch chocolate cake from this site. Followed the recipe and poured the mixture into a greased and floured 9x13 pan. It baked very high in the middle, but I just figured I can level the top, no problem!

So then, when the cake was done I took it out of the oven and placed it on a cooling rack for about a minute and proceeded to try to turn it out. OOOHHH NOOOOOOO!!!! It stuck so bad!!!!!! big chunks were still attached to the pan.

Here comes the GOOD PART!

I had some frosting left over in my KA bowl from doing a FBCT, and I just took the chocolate cake in hunls and chucnked it over into the KA bowl, turned the mixre on and let er roll.

Rolled them into balls, then rolled them in powdered sugar...yummyyyyy!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

P.S. Does anybody have any idea as to why the cake stuck so bad? Should I have let it cool more before I turned it out of the pan?

usaribbon.gif

9 replies
aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 10

I would suggest using parchment to line your pans with, both the sides and the bottoms. That's what I do, then I lightly spray them with pan release. When they come out of the oven, I generally don't have any problems with chunking off of the cake.

Wow .... you made cake balls!!! Next time you'll have to throw in a little of this, and a little of that, and a little of something else......... mmmmmmmmmm, now it really IS lunchtime!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 10

Way to go! Taking a bad situation and making the best out of it. I probably would have been so disgusted, and would have thrown the cake away not thinking of doing something else with it. icon_lol.gif

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 10

I let mine col minimum 10 minutes. Thst seems to help it from sticking. Notice I said helps. Mine still stick sometimes. If I use a spray like Pam they come out better.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 10

Generally I line all my pans with parchment and then grease it and the sides of the pan.

I take them out of the oven and let them cool about 5 minutes. I then run a flat metal spatula around the sides and edges to loosen that. Cool for another 10 minutes or so, then turn out.

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 10

I discovered pan greese from CK and I tell you what - a little of that - no flour - no parchment! I have not had a cake stick again!! I love it!

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 10

I absolutely agree with the pan grease. It is equal parts grease, oil and flour. I usually mix it 1/4 cup of each and then put it in my old Wilton cake release bottle. I have NEVER lost a cake to sticking! thumbs_up.gif

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 10

I use homemade pan grease too and I never have a problem....except with scratch cakes! For some reason the scratch chocolate cake I bake every once in awhile sticks to the bottom of the pan like nobody's business! I usually don't let my cakes sit in the pan for more than 5 minutes. I would try the pan grease though.
HTH,
Heather

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:05pm
post #9 of 10

Thank y'all so much! I will try thr parchment and the pan grease, hopefully I want have this problem again!

usaribbon.gif

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 12:00pm
post #10 of 10

I was told by my Wilton Instructor to leave the cake to cool for 7 - 10 minutes. Anything less, or more, and the cake is guaranteed to stick, no matter what you use.

It has to do with the grease on the edges of the pan re-solidifying as it cools. And less than the 7 minutes, I would guess the cake isn't quite cool enough to be stable yet.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%