What The Heck Are These???

Decorating By chrissysconfections Updated 24 Oct 2006 , 12:41pm by RisqueBusiness

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 23

I recently won an auction that had over 20 different sized plates, pillars etc. as well as 2 complete teir pan sets. Included was a bunch of miscallenous items like the two things I have posted below. I have NO IDEA what the scalloped looking thing is. DH said he was glad to see I got a crown for my cakes????
I think the clear twisty things might be push in pillars but they seem so thin and fragile I can't imagine putting a cake on them. (Sorry it's blurry)
Any help from the more seasoned decorators on what they are and how to use them would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Chrissy icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

22 replies
darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 23

I have no idea what they are but I'm chuckling over your dh's comment about the crown thing lol

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 23

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E3139EB-475A-BAC0-571C2E26FDAD38D7&fid=35B455DB-475A-BAC0-5DA5CA5DE03ECBDB

Your "crown" looks like part of this system.

The clear things look like some kind of pillar system, but then, you already figured that out! Find some creative uses for them!

thumbs_up.gif

GamerGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GamerGirl Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 23

The first one is pillars made by Wilton. The second is just a decoration type separator. Hope this helps. Great idea for crown though!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 23

You must be the new fairy queen because it looks like you got a crown and a few magic wands! icon_lol.gif They DO look like push-in pillars, but perhaps they are for smaller (lighter) cakes if you say they seem fragile or rickety. Good luck with that! I will be watching to see if someone can give you exact info on it!

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 23

The clear twisty things are push in pillars. I don't think that they are Wilton. The "crown" is a Wilton product. I will look in the older books to find out what it is. And get back to you. If some one else can tell you before, great.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 23

Wilton used to sell a mini tier set and I think those are the pillar for it.

I think they should bring that kit back for the wedding cake classes..!! lol

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:54pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

Wilton used to sell a mini tier set and I think those are the pillar for it.

I think they should bring that kit back for the wedding cake classes..!! lol

My mom had them when I was a kid and lost the pillars when we left Germany. I remember that they were really skinny though and you can't use the standard pillars with the plates it came with.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 23

Yep, looks like a crown and some wands. Maybe it could be part of you halloween costume.. maybe you can be a cake queen icon_biggrin.gif

cakegurl06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegurl06 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:57pm
post #10 of 23

I have no idea what they are but I laughed out loud at the name of your pic file: Thingamajig.jpg! hahaha

rreed6263 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rreed6263 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:58pm
post #11 of 23

The pillars ARE for the mini tier set, I have the set,
The crown thing is actually a FILIGREE FOUNTAIN FRAME, used around the base of the color flow fountain, not a separator, Use it with some silk flowers inside to hide the base of the fountain. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:02pm
post #12 of 23

chrissysconfections,

Looking at the crown thingy it looks like some I have. I was given boxes of old Wilton decorating items from a neighbor who retired from cake decorating when I started 6 years ago. I think they are part of a pillar set but will have to pull out the old Wilton decorator book to find out for sure. You can use them around the fountain or with floral arrangements in the center of them. I'll go thru the book and get back to you.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:13pm
post #13 of 23

The crown piece looks just like the ones my mother used in the 70's when she made wedding cakes. I remember she'd put it on the top tier and then put the bride & groom in the center of it
Don't know what the crystal wands are though.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:25pm
post #14 of 23

I have no idea what those things really are, but the thread is certainly entertaining.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:26pm
post #15 of 23

I love the cake princess idea icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

After Halloween, you can sell your items on ebay as vintage cake decorating items and make your fortune icon_lol.gif

P.S. Also love your file names.

chrissysconfections Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:27pm
post #16 of 23

Thank you to all!

Quote:
Quote:

Yep, looks like a crown and some wands. Maybe it could be part of you halloween costume.. maybe you can be a cake queen

Thought I would die with that one! Taking my 16mth old out though for her first Halloween....maybe I will try it! LOL

darandon:

Quote:
Quote:

The crown piece looks just like the ones my mother used in the 70's when she made wedding cakes

This was a box of older items....the bridesmaids and ushers are to die for (laughing that is!). Some of the edges are just starting to turn yellowish...does anyone know if you can fix that BTW?
There were some really tiny heart and round shaped plates so perhaps that's what the "wands" could be used for. I also got two very retro books one's totally sugar craft how-tos I can't wait to dig into but I didn't check the dates to see just how old this stuff was. I mostly wanted it for the pans and plates as they are mostly like new.
Thanks again!

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 2:00am
post #17 of 23

rreed is correct. The wands are for the mini tier set. It was a great set. And yes, a soaking in bleach water will take the yellow out.
Enjoy your new toys.

infields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infields Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 3:11am
post #18 of 23

You can also take the yellow out of the plastic by setting it in the sun.

RisqueBusiness Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 7:14am
post #19 of 23

wow, lucky you..yes, those small heart and round plates belong to the mini pillars...were you able to get the pans too?

That was about the best little set there ever was, the only drawback was if you set it up with the cakes..you may never see the darn things again.

It was one of the first 'tiered' cakes I did ...for my dads, birthday...and I never got my plates and pillars back...

"SOB"

chrissysconfections Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:10pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Quote:

wow, lucky you..yes, those small heart and round plates belong to the mini pillars...were you able to get the pans too?

I think I might have the heart shaped pans to go with the pillars. They are only 1" high and rather small. Of the 3 of them I think the biggest is probably about 8" if that. There isn't any sizes or markings on them other then the wilton stamp so it's hard to say for sure.

RisqueBusiness Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:24pm
post #21 of 23

yes..they were small, thin and very shallow...so you have to bake them 2 x to get a 2, 21/2 inch cake..but , they are good for the Wilton Wedding cake class.

Wilton as been discontinuing a lot of great things..

chrissysconfections Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:38pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Quote:

And yes, a soaking in bleach water will take the yellow out.

How much bleach to water? Or how long in the sun?

I mentioned this at my Wilton class last night and both the instructor and the owner of the building wanted to know these things. The owner has teir stands that they keep up on this shelf that is all dusty and gross and she has managed to keep them fairly white but wanted to get them whiter somehow as they rent them out.
TIA...again! LOL

RisqueBusiness Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:41pm
post #23 of 23

I think it's like a Tablespoon of bleach to a gallon of water. I think you just look at the bottle of bleach label.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%