Crummy Cake.. What Did I Do?

Decorating By danasflowers Updated 20 Aug 2007 , 5:22am by lizzamaryann

danasflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danasflowers Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 5:22am
post #1 of 10

I made a bunch of cakes for a wedding this evening and I was shocked that it fell apart while cutting. I used betty crocker box mix. It was white cake with whip and fresh strawberries (1 layer). My cakes don't typically fall apart like this. Suggestions??

Thanks!

9 replies
chefcindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefcindy Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 5:36am
post #2 of 10

sorry I can't help, but maybe someone else can put in some suggestions...
Was it too moist, or dry?

danasflowers Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 5:38am
post #3 of 10

It seemed moist to me.

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 5:44am
post #4 of 10

It's hard to say without being there to see it, but I use the box mixes all the time. Your location might make a difference, but mine have fallen apart if I've been in too much of a rush & not allowed it to cool enough. I'm also wondering if it fell apart while you were first cutting it to fill, or after you delivered? Can't be positive from your original question - it sounds like as you were preparing to fill, but then what do the strawberries & whipped cream have to do with it? Did you mix those in? Also, it could have been a "fluke mistake"... sometimes I think I put in all the ingredients, but forgot to multiply the amount of oil, etc....... Sorry that happened to you!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 8:36am
post #5 of 10

Did the cake fall apart when sliced, or was the blade PUSHED down through the cake, compressing it so that it was torn apart?

Here's a thread on how to cut cake:
(Never use the bridal sets!)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-56739-.html

HTH

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 10

my first question is what kind of knife was used to cut the cakes?
If it was the right type of knife, was the technique used to cut it correct, or did they push it through the cake (doing this will tear the cake)?

danasflowers Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 10

Yes, It was when it was being served. the knife was a major problem. We switched to a butter knife because it was better than the bridal set. Hate those darn things. The baking process went great, no problems with cooling or filling. I always try to be careful on measuring, but I am human, that could have happened although I don't believe so. Thought I would pass it along to you all and see if you had suggestions. Here is a picture of the final cake:
LL

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 10

I believe it was b/c of the knife being used to cut the cake then. Like janH said, bridal sets are not made to cut cake (more for looks in my opinion) And a butterknife is not sharp enough to make a smooth cut.

I use two different types of knifes depending on the decorations on the cake. I use either my sharp bread knife that i got from pampered chef, or I use a sharp straight blade knife (think butcher knife) these allow a nice smooth sharp cut and should not tear your cake.

HTH

chefcindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefcindy Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 7:51pm
post #9 of 10

Pampered Chef knives are always the way to go!!! icon_smile.gif Not that I am partial or a consultant!!!!

lizzamaryann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzamaryann Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:22am
post #10 of 10

I make the SAME exact cakes with whipped cream & fresh strawberries.

The cake must've been too moist and warm.
The trick is keeping it very chilled, running a sharp serrated knife under hot water and slowly slicing it.
Also, wear gloves when you cut the cake as its a lot easy to handle it when you hold the sides with your palm.
I just did a wedding using cake mix, whipped cream and fresh strawberries this past saturday....My cake was almost frozen when I arrived at the venue, and it sliced well.
I sliced the cake about 30 min ahead of time though, so it thawed a bit but it was perfect.

I've been doing this and it's always brought me perfect little slices! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%