How Do I Apply Luster Dust On Buttercream??

Decorating By sarzoemom Updated 19 Oct 2006 , 4:28pm by LorraineF

sarzoemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarzoemom Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:15am
post #1 of 21

How do I paint with luster dust or petal dust on buttercream? I do not have an airbrush but need to do some larger painting on buttercream and am not sure if I use alcohol or a fat base oil for this?

20 replies
moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:54am
post #2 of 21

Alcohol will do fine. Anything that is high proof.

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:02am
post #3 of 21

I thought luster dust didn't paint well on buttercream due to the fat / grease in buttercream???

moydear77 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:07am
post #4 of 21

Well I use all butter and I have never had any trouble?? I air brush almost all my buttercream cakes with luster and have painted.

I don't know why it would not. Many people use crusting icing too and paint it on.

Schmoop Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:10am
post #5 of 21

Thanks...I remember reading in a thread awhile back that you could not. I use all butter as well and never attempted it since I thought you could not.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:14am
post #6 of 21

It evidently works all right with an airbrush, but when I applied it with a brush (several months ago now) it sort of destroyed the BCI, it caused it to break down and crumble. I use the Crisco recipe BCI, don't know if the butter would make any difference or not. Janice

moydear77 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:21am
post #7 of 21

I have painted it on Swiss meringue buttercream with great result also!
I use a 140 proof that evaporates right away.

Schmoop Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:53am
post #8 of 21

I just ordered an air brush yesterday, I will try it with that first, then maybe try the brushing. THANKS!

sarzoemom Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 11:44am
post #9 of 21

I use all shortening and have not tried it yet but was worried that it would clump up when I brush it on. I read somewhere that if you mix it with melted shortening and veg oil, that you could paint it on buttercream. Has anyone tried that? I need to do it for a cake this weekend. I guess I could bake a cake and give it a try both ways and see what works best.

veejaytx Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 11:51am
post #10 of 21

It is my understanding that you have to use something with the luster dust that will evaporate, like an alcohol, an extract, something like that.

Someone posted this link a day or two ago that might help. http://kitchengifts.com/lustredust.html

There is a video there that is pretty good.
Janice

bransmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bransmom Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 12:30pm
post #11 of 21

I painted hearts on a wedding cake with luster dust and used the bc icing and it was fine. I did mix the luster dust & vanilla a little thick so I would only have to do one coat. It did not affect the cake at all

moydear77 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 12:31pm
post #12 of 21

when you airbrush it you need to clean your air brush right away. I think Toba uses the oil technique-Not a fan of it. I have always used a alcohol based mix. It will only clump if too thick and also if you use alomond extract. Almond I found to cause the most issues. I did use any citrus but the cake will smell of whatever you use.
This is why I opt for the quick evaporation.

sarzoemom Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:01pm
post #13 of 21

Veejay, thanks for the link. I see one big mistake I have been doing, too much liquid. I will give it a try with it not as runny and see what happens.

veejaytx Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:14pm
post #14 of 21

You are more than welcome, it helped me to see that video too.

That website is selling each of their luster dusts with a brush and a cup/jar, why would you need that with each jar of luster dust? I just save my little jars that the dusts came in, I've even saved some plastic bottle caps and used them, they can just be thrown away when you finish, no cleanup.

They are charging $6.95 for the set, when you can get the colors for about $3.98 everywhere else so you'd be paying $2 for a brush and container. No thanks! Janice

sarzoemom Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:00pm
post #15 of 21

I have a 11 month old so there are an endless supply of small jars around my house. I use those for my luster dust and just recap them if I need to do another cake, I just use the same jar.

midialjoje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midialjoje Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:56am
post #16 of 21

I just got something called glitter dust from cake craft--same as luster dust??

sarzoemom Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:06pm
post #17 of 21

Is it like flakes, crystals or a powder? Luster dust is just that, like dust only it is sparklie. Petal dust is like chalk dust.

midialjoje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midialjoje Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 3:14pm
post #18 of 21

it's like a powder. I think I'm going to try it with vodka and paint it on.
Also wondered if I can just roll small home-rolled fondant balls in it to make them gold, or do I have to use alcohol and paint those also?

sarzoemom Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:21pm
post #19 of 21

not sure... bump

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:25pm
post #20 of 21

I am trying this on a cake this wknd-I hope I can make it work

LorraineF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorraineF Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:28pm
post #21 of 21

Yes, you can roll fondant balls in luster dust to make them gold or pearl or whatever. I roll the balls, then right away roll them in luster dust, then set to dry on a thin piece of foam rubber--that way the dust sticks to them. If you wait until they are dry, you will have to paint them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%