I Just Don't "get" Purse, Shoe, And Belly Cakes

Decorating By maggiev777 Updated 18 Aug 2007 , 7:48pm by maggiev777

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 15

Ok, first, this post is not intended to hurt anyone's feelings at all!!!! I am truly amazed at the skill many of you have in replicating these "real life" items in cake and frosting and fondant. But I also can't figure out why in the world customers want cakes that look like an old purse (or a new purse, for that matter). Some of the really lifelike ones look like very real worn leather. While that is neat from an artistic perspective, it does not look like something I want to eat...?

I also can't figure out the shoe cakes. I am amazed at how lifelike some of the shoes turn out - but I can't figure out where the "cake" is in them. A cupcake in the heel? Maybe I'm just not enough of a shoe-lover to understand this trend. I do like some of the pillow cakes I've seen, that have the shoe on them - but even then I don't understand why a shoe is so important that it has to be on the pillow?

Lastly, I don't understand belly cakes. I know that a woman's preggo belly is cute, and I have seen many beautiful belly cakes on here. But as a recent new mom I would honestly have been soooo embarrassed if someone made me a belly cake when I was pregnant! Especially as buxom as the usually end up being. I guess when I was pg I just didn't want anyone focusing quite that much on what my belly and breasts looked like! And also cutting into them with a huge knife at a party just seems a little odd (creepy?) to me.

As I said, I really don't intend this post to hurt anyone's feelings, or to seem like a criticism of their work. I just need you to help me understand these trends... pretty please??

14 replies
marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 15

icon_lol.gif My thing with the belly cakes is who do you serve a chunk of boob to!!?? icon_lol.gif

I love the shoes and purses though!! But I love any cake that looks like something else!

I think the point with the shoe since it isn't really a cake is to accent the actual cake.... like a tiara....

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 15

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I personally don't like decor of chickens in the kitchen but it is adored by some people. I am vegetarian so I am not fond of cakes shaped like animals which are then cut into (yuck!). I don't think you have to "get it" so long as you provide a beautiful cake that best suits the guest of honor.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 15

Ok, this is only my opinion. I don't share your thoughts, but let me share mine.

I think they all show a great deal of what I like to call WOW EM'!! It's something new and hip. It's very unique. Think about the receipents who loves shoes (by the way the shoes are not cake; it's gumpaste and are kept as keepsakes.) or the women who can't afford real designer bags but always wanted one( well here's a way). None of the belly cakes on this site shows off the bad side effects of pregnancy; they're meant to represent the beauty of a women giving life (just my opinion). I wouldn't reccommend doing a belly cake for a mother to be who is not having a good pregnancy. It also shows the decorators level of skill which could only mean a growing clientele.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 15

All these cakes are called novelty cakes and some folks are really fun loving while others are very tradional. Some folks get a kick out having things done different. I would think the most important thing in cake decorating is to please and awe the clients. there is no cake in shoes they are just gumpaste decorations just like flowers. Not everything is to everyones liking to each his own isn't that what makes America great LOL IMO

marthajo1 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 15

icon_lol.gif Tmt so I guess you wouldn't like those amazing raw steak cakes either! icon_lol.gif Just teasing by the way... no offense meant.

For me too part of it is the challenge of making it! Last night when I was telling people that the bottom tier didn't have coconut on it, several people were like WHAT!! That's cake? I loved it!! They all thought it was bean dip or salad and I didn't understand the potluck thing!!! With my cherry pie cake, I even attached a label that said it was Choclate Covered cherry cake and people still thought it was pie and the label was on the wrong thing! icon_lol.gif That is it for me! It is all about the challenge of making something........ AMAZING!

marthajo1 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 15

Oh funny thing though--- one of my friends said she couldn't look at the beans though cause it would throw her off. She quite literally ate and loved the cake without looking at it! icon_lol.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmt

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I personally don't like decor of chickens in the kitchen but it is adored by some people. I am vegetarian so I am not fond of cakes shaped like animals which are then cut into (yuck!). I don't think you have to "get it" so long as you provide a beautiful cake that best suits the guest of honor.

i agree on the chicken decore. i dont care for the rooster one.. i also dont like dishes and curtains with fruit/food on them. i'll admire the workmanship but ... why have food all over the dishes and curtains lol. I dunno call me weird.

i think the weirdest cake i did not the decor but the concept- an aquaintence of mine- its an old running joke in their family about farts being nicknamed a kiss.. dont ask lol.. so she asked me to make a cake depicting the father and the 3 daughters bending over "farting" at the dad with the saying "just blowing you a kiss"

i have some lousy pics of it (cause i just had a web cam at the time)

as strange as the idea was she absolutely loved it tremendously. the entire family shared in a laugh of a joke that was er tradition for them.

hey takes all kinds lol..

but knowing the woman as i do its a joke plain and simple- brought alot of smiles to everyone and she's generally a happy person- if you knew her you couldn't help but also find the cake humerous rather then weird lol.

so now for her birthday every year i've managed to find a card that reflects something about this lol. her daughters think its weird but i know the sentiment is apppreciated by mom.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:48pm
post #9 of 15

Lot's of people like to stretch their creative limits -- and if that means making the leap from buttercream flowers to gumpaste shoes, that's really a stretch in talent. I know I'm always reaching for the stars and getting closer with every try. I also try those "unorthodox" cake techniques because they are fun and unusual -- anyone can get a Costco cake, but not everyone can have one of mine! icon_lol.gif So why not make it special? Anyway, that's my reasoning on it. Hope that helps put it in perspective some. icon_biggrin.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 15

It's all about getting something different. I know that some people have issues with eating the animal cakes too, I don't care as long as it tastes good, it's still cake even if it's shaped like something else.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:54pm
post #11 of 15

Cake decorating is an art...each individual can be artistic in their own way....

I understand about the shoes...items for decoration that are not be eaten (although they can be)
Cake baking/decorating isn't what it used to be....its about creativity...creating something divine and uniqueicon_wink.gif

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 7:16pm
post #12 of 15

I know what you mean about the belly cakes and then there is the amazing carved baby cakes that look so lifelike, it would be so hard to stick a knife into those, but I love them, the talent people have is amazing.

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 7:18pm
post #13 of 15

Coming from a person that had a Purse cake (that I made myself.) for her birthday I think that it's part wow factor, to see that you can make cake into something that isn't cake. That it is unique and not everyone can have or make. Than the other is I just think that people are wierd. LOLOLOL I don't get the whole belly thing or boob or man part. I think that it is a little weird to me. But today in a matter of fact I made my husband a cake with breast on it in a Yankee uniform for his birthday. Hey he is a breast guy (oops, should not have said that, lolol) and a HUGE baseball/Yankee fan. So I combined the two. I think that is just it. What peolpe like is what they get.

Vicky

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 7:47pm
post #14 of 15

maggiev777, I'm with you on many of the unusual cakes. While it is very much do your own thing world, I prefer cakes that ultimately look like cakes. The exception to that are the package cakes which I think are very nice. Buttercream or fondant, flowers, zigzags, dots or or thingies on wires, all are great provided they are decorating something that looks like a cake. I just don't "get" the idea of a cake that looks like a turkey or a burger and fries. I think it is amazing that people can do it. I just can't figure out why they bother. Except for Duff who makes a handsome living making unusual cakes. Why people order them, I don't know; but they do.
OK, I can be entranced by the unusual, there is a fish on a platter cake and a dragon cake that I thought were amazing, but those are the exceptions.

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 7:48pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks, y'all - I'm glad no one got upset with me about my question!

The shoes just being decoration (not cake) makes more sense. Though I still think shoes are kind of icky and dirty. Wouldn't want one on a cake, but that is just me.

I do understand about the creative challenge, but I guess I'm just not "new and hip" enough to appreciate the haut couture (however you spell that!). I'm only 35 but I guess I am pretty "old and stodgy".

I think I kind of feel the same way about lifelike animal cakes. I'm not a vegetarian, but neither do I want a cake that looks exactly like my adorable puppy, only to then lop off its head to serve to someone. icon_sad.gif

On the other hand, I have noooo problem with cakes that look like other things we actually do eat - spaghetti and meatballs, steaks, etc. I actually find that kind of funny. Marthajo, I checked out your pics, and your taco salad and cherry pie are fabulous!!! I love that. Not sure I'd ever have the courage to try it myself, but I am completely amused by the idea. I do agree with your friend that I probably would get confused if I looked at the cake while eating it though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%