Need Dora Info....

Decorating By Strazle Updated 23 Aug 2007 , 5:57am by LiliS

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 14

I have to do a Dora the Explorer cake for a 2 year old birthday party. Well, I don't have kids and don't watch the cartoon. Can anyone give me any info about Dora. I asked this from the person requesting the cake and she directed me to a picture of Dora. I want to know more about the character so I can incorporate that into the design.

TIA from the cartoon challenged cake decorator!

13 replies
theabsinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theabsinaz Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 14

My 3yr old has been addicted to Dora for the last two years (the weaning process is almost complete now icon_twisted.gif ) so I think I can probably help you here, haha.

Dora is a little latin girl that lives in a house in the jungle with her mom, dad (and depending on the episode, her infant twin brother & sister). She loves to go exploring and asks her fans to help her discover things/solve problems along her journeys, in English and Spanish. Her best friend is a monkey named 'Boots' and yes, he's a grey monkey that loves wearing red boots. She has a special map that ALWAYS knows where she's going & tells her how to get there and she has a backpack that always seems to have whatever she needs. Her grandma pretty much lives over the river & through the woods, providing lots of exploring opportunity along the way. Swiper the fox is always trying to take the things she gathers on her journeys and she & Boots are always telling him "Swiper, no swiping!". Her main jungle friends include Tico (the squirrel), Isa (the iguana), Benny (the bull).

I wonder if the little girl has a favorite episode you can start from? HTHs!

kpcrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpcrash Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 14
Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 1:38am
post #4 of 14

Stars are also big on Dora. She is always trying to collect stars. You could incorporate those somehow with the Dora design..I have seen fondant stars sticking out of the top of the cake on wires...?

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 3:19am
post #5 of 14

The first time I did Dora in 2003, I had never heard of her either! I actually recorded the cartoon, then watched it. When I saw Dora in a good pose, I paused it and sketched her out. Well, the first thing the customer said to me was "where's her backpack?" I had the "straps" of her backpack showing; but it was a front view. Apparently that backpack and the map inside are very important! I might also add that her clothes are many colors and her taste in matching them isn't very good! Here's that old pic:
LL

aandecakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandecakedesign Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 14

Littlelinda... that dora cake looks great. any child would know thats dora with or with out backpack.

My daughter has loved dora since she was about 18 monthes old and still does at the age of almost 5.

theabsinaz had it down to the T.

good luck on your dora cake

aliciababcock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciababcock Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 14

Go to
http://www.nickjr.com/shows/dora/index.jhtml
It will give you all kinds of ideas and help you understand it. That's what I did for the diego cake I recently did. HTH

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 14

I just did a Dora cake for last weekend. It is in My Pics. Boots is with her. There is also a Boots smash cake.

cCc

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks for all the response. Your cakes look great. I will post the cake...but its not until September. Lucky me, lots of time to fret over this one!

Sunshine0507 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine0507 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 4:43pm
post #10 of 14

I made a Dora cake for my 2 year old (she is now out of the phase) and I found it to be very detailed but relatively easy. Check out my photos. I had actually used a Dora cake pan and that seemed to really help out a lot. Good luck...Let me know if I can help in any way!!

Sunshine0507 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine0507 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 14

I made a Dora cake for my 2 year old (she is now out of the phase) and I found it to be very detailed but relatively easy. Check out my photos. I had actually used a Dora cake pan and that seemed to really help out a lot. Good luck...Let me know if I can help in any way!!

aandecakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandecakedesign Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 6:00pm
post #12 of 14

they also have a diego pan too. you could do both and put them next to each other.

DanaJones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaJones Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:39am
post #13 of 14

My little girl LOVES dora.... every adventure has three tasks that have to be completed and the map shows which order to do them in... for instance... if dora needs to take her books to the library... she would have to go through the spooky forest, cross the rickety bridge and then she would be able to make it to the library. I look through books and coloring sheets to get my ideas.... there is a dora cake i did in March in my pictures with dora, boots, map, and backpack.

LiliS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LiliS Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:57am
post #14 of 14

I was like you.. never heard of Dora until I had a baby girl in 2005. My daughter is Dora mad, so I am planning a gorgeous (I HOPE!!) birthday cake for her in November. www.nickjnr.com wil have some great info on her. Or else just type dora cake into google and it will bring up so many images.. that's what I do every now and then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%