What Should Mmf Feel Like In Your Hands? And How To Color It

Decorating By TiffTurtle Updated 18 Oct 2006 , 8:01pm by annamata

TiffTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffTurtle Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 9

i just made my first batch of MMF and IM wondering how it should feel when handled? I have never worked with this or fondant so i have no clue..and i want to make sure that i have it right before i go trying to make stuff with it...

and also i was wondering if someone could tell me how i could color it ..not the whole batch but small amounts.

Thanks...Tiff

8 replies
ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 9

Hi Tiff:

I am just horrible about describing things but I will try, please someone jump in if I'm not descriptive enough.

MMF should not be sticky...add some crisco/shortening to your work surface to avoid it sticking. It also shouldn't be dry or it will crack. I really can't describe how it should "feel". icon_confused.gif

But to color small amounts of it, I like to put it in my microwave for about 3-5 seconds at a time, then put on some gloves, coat your hands with shortening, then with a toothpick add some color to the MMF, then knead it in. Careful, the middle can be hotter than the outside.

Hope this helps you some.

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 9

mmf should feel like pie doughy or even pladoh.

i have been using wilton so the toothpick and kneading method to colr, easier to color when nuking the mm--i make small batches of diff colors.

TiffTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffTurtle Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:28am
post #4 of 9

thank you both...mine kinda reminds me of clay...i rolled some out and it seems to be ok...guess ill see when i accually use it...now i want to try to color some...hehee

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:49am
post #5 of 9

I've only made a few batches of MMF (and colored some of it in small portions) and I've found that it's sort of like bread dough......meaning, that you just have to "get a feel for it".....only practice will make this happen. Once you have a batch or two under your belt you will learn what is the right consistency because "the light bulb will come on" for you. I hope that makes sense. And yes, maybe someone more experienced can explain it better than I. It did reminde me of bread dough, though, .......you don't want it too sticky and not too dry.

Sorry I can't explain it better. I'm going to keep practicing with it, too, so I can learn when it's good.

Good luck!

Oh, one thing I did learn is this.....if you make a batch of MMF and you wrap it in plastic wrap and it has to sit for a few weeks (or longer as mine did), just know that it will get as hard as a rock !! But, just nuke it for a VERY short amount of time, take it out of the microwave and knead it and it will be good to go!

sarzoemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarzoemom Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:59am
post #6 of 9

How long should you nuke it for? I have tried 10 secs at a time and it seemed to make it crunchie.

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:07am
post #7 of 9

I nuke mine just about 5 seconds in microwave oven, any longer in mine completly melts and softens it too much!

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 7:54pm
post #8 of 9

I make small batches of mmf (1 c. marshmallows, 1 3/4 c. powdered sugar, 1 T. water) at a time, and color the marshmallows before I put in the sugar.

I bet you could even do 1/2 c. marshmallows for an even smaller amount. It's much easier for me to color before adding the sugar.

Also, keep in mind that if you do it this way, the finished product will be lighter in color than your original marshmallow mixture, so add more color than you think. For example, I made a nice, vibrant red (americolor super red) marshmallow mixture and after I finished adding the sugar, it was kind of pink...

annamata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annamata Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 9

Fondant should feel like playdon or pizza dough. I add food coloring after it is cooled of. I start knealing it to get the color I want. It's alot of working when you do alot of fondant at a time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%