Question About Freezing Cakes

Decorating By daisyz Updated 18 Oct 2006 , 5:09pm by nikic

daisyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyz Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 9

I am new to cake decorating and have learned so much from CC!!! =)
Anywhoo, my question is how long can I keep a cake in the freezer without it getting dry or tasting frostbitten (I did wrap it up tightly in saran wrap)? How should I defrost it? Do most of you guys bake your cakes fresh or make them ahead of time and freeze them? I have always made mine fresh, b/c I thought freezing them would mess up the texture....Is this true? Sorry for all the questions!! And thank you for any tips and advice!!! =)

8 replies
dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 9

I don't freeze mine, so I can't answer that, but hopefully this will bump your question back up. icon_smile.gif

daisyz Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 9

..anyone? =)

daisyz Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:33am
post #4 of 9

Bump! =)

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:40am
post #5 of 9

I have frozen my cakes. The longest time was two weeks. I took them out of the freezer in the AM and I left them wrapped in saran wrap. Then that night I iced the cake. They were fine. Once I tried to ice the cake before it was defrosted but I couldn't get the buttercream to crust.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:43am
post #6 of 9

I can only tell you what I do, I'm sure you will get lots of differing opinions. But, I am going to Pastry Chef school, and I've done it both ways. I have learned that it works best for me to make my cakes ahead even if only 48 hrs. ahead, tort them, simple syrup them, wrap them well, and freeze them. These steps make them much easier to work with, ice, fill and they have ALWAY been so moist!
All I can tell you is, try it both ways, and see what YOU like.
Sweetcakes23

bakermomof2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermomof2 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:47am
post #7 of 9

If I have alot of cakes to do like with a wedding cake I will start making them 2-3 weeks ahead and freeze them. I have never left one in the freezer for months. I'm sure they are ok for a few weeks as long as they are wrapped up well. I usually wrap at least 2 layers of plastic wrap. My instructor told me that the condensation inside the wrap while they are thawing makes the cake more moist. Hope this helps.

daisyz Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks guys--I'm glad you told me not to ice it before it defrosts, that's just what I would've done! icon_smile.gif

nikic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikic Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 9

I have frozen cakes without problems at all. Just be sure to wrap it very well and then keep your freezer clean so there is no chance of it picking up oders.

I have frozen cakes for up to a month when I was first learning and they were fine. I do plastic wrap (ziplock bags if they are small enough) and then foil.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%