Not Exactly A Disaster, But Definitely A Disappointment...

Decorating By lara3teach Updated 20 Aug 2007 , 11:13pm by lara3teach

lara3teach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lara3teach Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 3

I attempted to make a bean bag game cake for my brother's birthday (in my pics) and I'm definitely not happy with how it turned out. I could really use some advice for the future. I started out building each cake with 2 layers as is, just leveled. Then I tried to angle cut the 2 top layers and place them on top of the bottom layers to create the angle the bean bag boards normally have. This resulted in a really, really bad shape. icon_confused.gif Should I have layered everything and then carved it as a whole? I've never actually carved a cake so I initially thought making the shapes as I went would work, but now with the finished piece, I'm thinking I was wrong! icon_cry.gif Any words of wisdom from the experts??

I also hate how badly the bc is smoothed (don't know why it gave me such a hard time today), but that I figure I'll get better at with practice.

Thanks as always!

Lara

2 replies
bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 3

Lara, I think you did a really good job on this. I can't see where you had problems in the picture. For carving, did you freeze the cakes before carving? I know I had a hard time with that, before I found out about freezing the layers. HTH!

lara3teach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lara3teach Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you, Brenda. No, I did not freeze the cake layers. I'll have to try that next time. I think I'll also try stacking all the layers and carving as a whole...might make for a smoother overall effect.

Funny enough, as frustrated as I was with this cake, it was a big hit. My brother and a friend sat down at opposite ends of my table and actually threw the "bean bags" before we cut the cake. It was hysterical!!

Thanks again for your comments and advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%