Cake Extender - Will This Be Enough

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 19 Aug 2007 , 1:03pm by katwomen1up

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 11

1 mix plus cake extender, will this be enough for 2 - 10 inch pans 2" high??

I've never used this recipe before, so I figured I'd give it a shot! It says enough for 3- 9 inch pans, so I thought it might be ok for 2 - 10's.

Any thoughts?

10 replies
lara3teach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lara3teach Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 11

My opinion is no. Personally, I like my cakes to be 2" after leveling. I used the extender recipe and made two 8" rounds that after leveling were 2". I don't think this recipe is actually enough for 3 9" cakes (IMO). I think you would need 1 1/2 -2 batches for two 10" rounds. I'm certainly no expert, though...so I'm curious to hear what others say. icon_smile.gif

HTH!

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lara3teach

My opinion is no. Personally, I like my cakes to be 2" after leveling. I used the extender recipe and made two 8" rounds that after leveling were 2". I don't think this recipe is actually enough for 3 9" cakes (IMO). I think you would need 1 1/2 -2 batches for two 10" rounds. I'm certainly no expert, though...so I'm curious to hear what others say. icon_smile.gif

HTH!

I agree. One mix w/extender not enough.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 11

You will definately need 2 box mixes. Make Cupcakes from the left over batter.

Kat

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 11

Here are all four Wilton cake preparation and serving charts:
(Shows how much batter needed per pan by size and more. Also gives how many servings by pan size.)

http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/index.cfm

A 10" round requires 6 cups of batter.

WASC cake expanded flavors recipe:
(Makes a tad over 14 cups using 2 DH white mixes.)

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

HTH

HTH

katwomen1up Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 11

Jessieb578 I hope you don't mind me jumping in, seeing as JanH brought up the WASC recipe I had a couple questions.

JanH, the WASC mix would you happent to know if this makes a good cupcake? The white extender recipe I use happens to sink no matter what temperature I bake them at. icon_cry.gif I need a good recipe that will dome for cupcakes. I have to make this anyway for another cake just not sure if I need to stick basically to the box recipe. Any help is appreciated.

Also witth the almond extract does that count as nuts in the recipe? The cupcakes are for children and so many of them are alergic to nuts these day's. icon_sad.gif Thanks for any and all your help. icon_biggrin.gif

Kat

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 2:13am
post #7 of 11

I find that one mix plus the extender makes the equivalent of about 1.5 mixes.

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 2:28am
post #8 of 11

I've made WASC cupcakes. They dome slightly. They don't sink in.

mymomandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymomandmecakes Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 2:49am
post #9 of 11

I am soooo new to this ,but what is extender? This sounds like something I NEED! Please let a newbie in on this...thanks icon_redface.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 7:35am
post #10 of 11

katwomen1up, here's a thread on almond extract/allergies:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-221001-.html

mymomandmecakes, if you read the WASC cake recipe you'll see that ingredients are added to the cake mixe/s to increase the batter yield (and make the cake taste somewhat more homemade).

HTH

katwomen1up Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 1:03pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks JanH! icon_biggrin.gif I was afraid of that but didn't realize what I did until after I put the almond in. icon_cry.gif Back to the kitchen!! icon_cry.gif Anybody need any cupcakes with almond extract icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif !

Kat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%