Luster, Pearl, Petal Or Shimmer Dust- What's The Difference?

Decorating By momnzoes Updated 18 Oct 2006 , 7:45pm by cryssi

momnzoes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momnzoes Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 8

I'm obviously a newbie, and without going out and buying samples of each to play with, can somebody tell me what the differences are and how you use them? Can you mix them into icing or just brush them on? Can you paint with them (a wet application) or use them dry? Can you spray them on? And on a related note- has anyone sponge painted a cake? I tried it last week (my Hatbox cake) and it came out beautiful, but I haven't seen any other examples of it here.

Of course, I'll probably still want to play with them (heck that's the best part) but I'm trying to figure out the basics now.

7 replies
nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 8

This was forwarded to me long time ago, I had the same questions as you, HTH. I don't know the author of this, hope they don't mind.

"Okay- I see many people asking about the difference between 'Petal' and 'Luster' dusts. I see lots of people asking about 'Disco' dusts, are they the same as 'Sparkle' dusts? I've gotten some info together for you that I found in a few different supplier's catalogs:
Petal, Pearl & Luster Dusts are ideal for use on gumpaste or rolled fondant flowers, plaques & lettering, etc. Any of the powders may be mixed with alcohol or lemon oil for painting. Each type of dust creates a different effect to help give the exact sheen desired.
Petal Dusts are used to achieve deeper hues with a matte finish. When brushed on petals of white or pastel gumpaste flowers, a realistic effect is created. Add a blush of color to gumpaste flowers or emphasize a feature with a tiny brush mark.
Pearl Dusts produce a shimmery luster. Use Super Pearl on flowers made from colored gum paste. When dusted on white petals, the other pearls in the range exhibit a subtle colored sheen by reflection, although displaying no apparent color. Add an iridescent hint of highlight color.
Luster Dusts give subtle color with a sheen finish. In the dry form, use them for dusting. They may be used on their own, or mixed with similar colored dusts to create a lustrous sheen without lightening the color. Brushed on white, they exhibit color and sheen. Mix with alcohol or lemon oil for painting or highlighting.
Sparkle Dusts have a larger grain size with a sparkling finish. Gives gumpaste flowers a wet or dewy look with just a touch of color.
Disco Dust (or Pixie Dust) add sparkle & flashing highlights of color to your pieces. Use this when you REALLY want to sparkle.
Highlighters are non-edible and have a high sheen finish. For decorative use only."

peachquilter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachquilter Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you for the descriptions. I just came online to figure it out. LOL I am making a cake for friday and wanted to use some dusts. icon_smile.gif

momnzoes--I did a sponge painted cake for my DSIL's bday. I made a tie dye cake. Here is the link
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=peachquilter&cat=0&pos=0

(hope it works) It was a lot of fun to do.

nefgaby Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 8

I'm glad I could help, just passing what once was passed to me. Good luck!

GeminiKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiKim Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 8

I need to color white chocolate (candy) a silver/gray color for handcuffs/police badge. What do you recommend? They have some Elegant Shimmer Dust in silver at the CC store. Will that work or should I just use some black oil based color to get gray?

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 8

I just recently got a great silver color with fondant by coloring the fondant black (dark gray) and brushing it with super pearl luster dust. I know you'll be using chocolate, but maybe the same color combo would work for you as well. HTH

nefgaby Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 8

Hi, if you go to http://globalsugarart.com/catalog/index.html

under luster dusts you will find "metallic highlighters" that is what I would use, just add some vodka to the dust to make a paint. HTH

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmom

I just recently got a great silver color with fondant by coloring the fondant black (dark gray) and brushing it with super pearl luster dust. I know you'll be using chocolate, but maybe the same color combo would work for you as well. HTH

what a great idea! I'll have to give that a try...

I'm totally in love with super pearl! I dusted it over my cake the other day on mmf accents and royal. It really gave the cake that extra oomph!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%