First Day Of School And They Lost My Kid.

Lounge By heather2780 Updated 21 Aug 2007 , 2:43pm by Sandi4tpc

heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 5:28am
post #1 of 14

So you guys know we just moved and my son started second grade today and this great old school its huge 4 storys and a basement lots of twist and turns. ethier way I was told to pick him up outside so I waited and waited and he did not come out so I talked to the princpal and she said dont worry he will come so I waited now 20 mins after school was out and the princapal starting radioing to see if any of the teachers had him they didnt. so she says to me just wait and continues to talk to anther parent and I told her lady if you dont find my son soon im going to loose my composure so we went in the school and he had just found the office apparently the when the bell rang the teacher just released them all from the class My DS had no idea where to go I thought for sure on the first day someone would walk him out. argh I think I had a heart attack today horriable things go through your mind my biggiest concern is that they had put him on a buss somewhere. I will be sure monday afternoon to pick him up in his class and make sure he knows the way to parents pick up.

13 replies
ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 5:57am
post #2 of 14

That is awful. I bet it really scared the poor little guy. Is he doing OK? I think I would have a meeting with the teacher and principal and make sure this doesn't happen again. They should realize that your son is new there and won't know where everything is and all their procedures on the first day. It makes me angry that they didn't watch out for him better. icon_mad.gif

heather2780 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:29am
post #3 of 14

Trust me it makes me angry to I had to bite my tongue really hard today for fear of really freaking out and going overboard on the teachers and princapal at this school. my eyes were burning with tears I practically ran away after I found him for fear of crying puddles in the hall. poor guy felt bad he kept saying he was sorry for making me cry even thought I told him it was not his fault at all and that i was just worried. It was just not a good feeling that on his first day of school we couldnt find eachother I felt so bad for him but he is stronger than I am he was ok proud of himslef for finding the office i'm proud of him to he held it togther better than I did. If I have to I will just pick him up in the class until im sure he knows the way I think having a parent teacher meeting would only get me excuses on there end. it was the first day things happen blah blah blah. Thank goodness nothing worse happened had I not found him when I did the school would a seen a witch like they have never seen before.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 7:44am
post #4 of 14

I'm sure the school were crapping themselves just as much as you were. Go and speak to the teacher calmly - if you go and freak out (as you're emotionally well within your rights to do) you'll only create an atmosphere between yourself and your child's teacher. Like it or not that teacher is going to be one of the most imnportant people in the world to your child and you need to make the relationship you have with them a good one. You've obviously brought up a child who is intelligent and resourceful - well done you.

heather2780 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 7:55am
post #5 of 14

Thankyou emma. thats exactly why I didnt flip out I know how important it is to have a good relationship with my sons teacher I am a very active parent in the pta, class mom, I go on all the field trips I take work home for the teacher, I logg in homework. all at his old school ofcourse, and now im starting over trying to build relationships at this school I didnt want my first encounter to be yelling im not the yelling type anyway and im sure the teacher was just doing what she normally does. but really someone should have made sure the kids got out ok. I think I did well I was calm until I found him and thats when the tears started to sting my eyes. its amazing how well you can hold it in until its resolved and then you freak its the same thing if they fall and get hurt. its over now im not going to bring it up to the school agian your right im sure they were freaked as well. and once I personally make sure he knows where he is going we should have a good year.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 14

I can't believe they did that. icon_eek.gif
My son goes to a school with about 120 kids per grade and EVERYONE rides the bus from k-12. There are somewhere around 20-30 buses and the elementary teachers walk all the grades out everyday all year to put them on their buses, they have aides and stuff out in the mornings mostly for the really little kids. I think by the time the kids are in 2nd grade or so they probably can find their bus but they don't take any chances.

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 14

When my youngest was in kindergarden, he got in the wrong bus. I was so worried when the bus came and my son didn't come out. I called the school and the bus director, by chance the lady that drove the bus had a cell phone. She just had called the bus company, and told them she had an "extra kid" and that she'll bring him directly to his home. So instead of coming home at 3:45pm, he came in at 5:30! He told me he wanted to see where his little girlfriend lived, geez!! He always been a Romeo.... But I was sure to tell him how worried we were...
MY dd also decided one day to come home by foot instead of taking the bus. She was in KD, so I thought she had a responsible teacher to look out for those that needs to take the bus... It's a teacher from another school that found her. She was walking, singing little songs. In KD here they have stickers on their shirts, with name/grade/adress. So when this lady saw this sticker she knew that she wasn't supposed to be there by foot. So she took care of her to make sure she came home safely. My dd's teacher believed the lie that my dd told her, so she let her go. I was mad. I told her, that when I always give notes for the teacher to read if something changes...

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 14

Oh man, you guys are making me nervous!! My kids are going to a newly built school this year that is combining two old schools. Thank goodness they will be at the same school, because I can count on DD to look out for her little brother, but I am still nervous. They will be picked up by their karate teacher, who I trust implicitly, but the sheer size of the school makes me nervous. I just keep telling them, DO NOT get on a bus, if you can't find Wayne, stay at school and call me!!

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 2:15pm
post #9 of 14

Just another story that reminds me how blessed I am to have found the school we have. We have a private Catholic school two blocks from our house and they are wonderful getting the kids where they need to be. After school parents are not allowed in the building...they have to wait outside. Each grade lines up the kids riding the bus first and the teachers walk them out, make sure everyone is on the right bus, and the buses leave. Then they go back and get the walkers/kids being picked up. The teachers all bring out their students and make sure who the kids are leaving with. The secretary and principal are out there helping to monitor as well. And if a parent is a couple of minutes late, they wait with the child. Teachers don't go back to the classroom until everyone is where they are supposed to be. I only wish for the sake of all our children all schools would be so vigilent!! Jodie

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:15pm
post #10 of 14

When my oldest was in first grade he fell asleep on the bus ride home, the bus driver finished his rounds, took the bus back to the parking lot and went home. In the meantime I am frantically calling the school and every parent to locate him. They finally called the bus driver and made him go back and check the bus and there was Randy, sound asleep on a back seat. This mother was furious! The bus driver personally drove him back to the school and I met him there, but it was after 5:00 P.M. before I got him back. Scared the bejeepers out of me and I imagne that was the last time that happened at that school, or at least to that bus driver. They were apologetic as possible, I was livid and in tears, Randy was sleepy and didn't understand what all the fuss was about.

heather2780 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:52am
post #11 of 14

gosh falling asleep on the bus thats crazy thank god he didnt wake up alone on a bus that would have been really bad poor guy. my son is finding his way out just fine now and there are teachers outside makeing sure kids go with the right people there just isnt anyone telling them how to get to the right door on the first day of school but im confident all will be fine now. My mom told me the story that my sister when she was in KD a million years ago the bus driver dropped her off at the wrong spot across town (back in the 80s bus drivers didnt wait for the parents to get the kids off the buss) and someone we knew just happened upon her walking down the road. and then can you believe it the bus driver dropped her off across town agian and this time she fought him told him it was not the right spot and he made her get off the bus that time it took them till almost dark them meaning my family the cops the teachers all looking for several hours before a lady called the police saying she had found a little girl wondering in the streets. I just couldnt imagine that my DS was missing for 20 mins and I nearly lost it I couldnt imagine not knowing where he was for hours. its amazing shirlys driver survived.

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 12:36pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

My son goes to a school with about 120 kids per grade and EVERYONE rides the bus from k-12. There are somewhere around 20-30 buses and the elementary teachers walk all the grades out everyday all year to put them on their buses, they have aides and stuff out in the mornings mostly for the really little kids. I think by the time the kids are in 2nd grade or so they probably can find their bus but they don't take any chances.

My kids (public) schools are like that too. For the first 2 weeks the youngest (preK - 1st grade) wear name tags with their teachers name and bus # on them. The teachers walk them to their buses all year and carry their clipboard with each childs name & bus #. If I am going to pick my kids up, I need to send in a note or call, and then sign them out so they know I picked them up. All parents picking up their kids have to go in the school and sign the kids out, and the school won't release the kids until they see the parent. The bus drivers for the preK-1st grade kids call all their parents before school starts to verify the location of the bus stop & time they'll be there. Gotta love it thumbs_up.gif

-Lisa

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 12:49pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehen92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

My kids (public) schools are like that too. For the first 2 weeks the youngest (preK - 1st grade) wear name tags with their teachers name and bus # on them. The teachers walk them to their buses all year and carry their clipboard with each childs name & bus #. If I am going to pick my kids up, I need to send in a note or call, and then sign them out so they know I picked them up. All parents picking up their kids have to go in the school and sign the kids out, and the school won't release the kids until they see the parent. The bus drivers for the preK-1st grade kids call all their parents before school starts to verify the location of the bus stop & time they'll be there. Gotta love it thumbs_up.gif

-Lisa

Our bus drivers are very careful to make sure that someone is home before they let the kids off too. My cousin-in-law's kid has been let off when someone wasn't home before so now someone has to go to the door and show their face before they'll let him off since they have a track record of not being home. Several years ago a preschool bus let some kids off in the middle of winter (North Dakota winter at that), if someone hadn't seen the kids they would have froze so now they're all very careful. They have teachers at the school who have to wait until the buses come back to make sure there aren't any kids who didn't have someone home, it's especially important when school is closed for storms, and then they wait for the parents to come get them.

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:43pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

When my oldest was in first grade he fell asleep on the bus ride home, the bus driver finished his rounds, took the bus back to the parking lot and went home. In the meantime I am frantically calling the school and every parent to locate him. They finally called the bus driver and made him go back and check the bus and there was Randy, sound asleep on a back seat. This mother was furious! The bus driver personally drove him back to the school and I met him there, but it was after 5:00 P.M. before I got him back. Scared the bejeepers out of me and I imagne that was the last time that happened at that school, or at least to that bus driver. They were apologetic as possible, I was livid and in tears, Randy was sleepy and didn't understand what all the fuss was about.

My cousin did this ALL the time! The worst of it was that she had an older brother and two older sisters riding the bus with her!!! They got off the bus KNOWING their sister had fallen asleep on the bus! I think after that mom/dad told them to make sure she got off the bus...

My son starts kindergarten this year and is going to a charter school without busses. We'll have to use public busing [but they are used to having many kids from this school utilizing it]. I've got the first day off so that I can ride to school and from school with him to help him know what to do. Of course, I need to work out the details on that for me [getting back to my car and all!].

Sorry about the school losing your son. How scary!! Definitely talking to the teacher to help him know the way out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%