Poll: Do You Charge More For Cakes Covered In Fondant?

Decorating By travelingcakeplate Updated 17 Oct 2006 , 4:55pm by PSLCakeLady

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 10

If so, how much more?

Also do you make your fonant or buy it?

9 replies
ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 10

Fondant is expensive and takes a bit more time so yes I do charge more. I charge $1.00 extra per serving and I also charge extra for fondant decorations on buttercream. I've made MMF but to me it's a pain so I now purchase mine.
Jacqui

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 10

I buy the fondant and yes I charge more. It just depends on the size of the cake. But it is normaly 5-10 % more depended on the design.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 10

Fondant is cheap if you make it yourself. I make my own, but since I am not in the cake business, 9 out of ten, I just give away my cakes as a birthday gift or wedding present. I only take an order if someone twists my arm like this cake, which I charged for $40.00 because it took me
7 hrs. to decorate this cake. And the person was very desperate and really begged me to make it. Because I would not know how much to charge people for my cakes
LL

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 10

What an amazing cake. You are kind to charge only $40. I need to make my own fondant with marshmello. I heard it taste much better.

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 10

I have used both MMF and store bought. I would charge more for both! It is time consuming to make and expensive to buy. They would pay much more if they ordered it from a fancy bakery! I think you should at least double the cost of supplies. And more depending how intricate the design.

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 10

After my fondant experience this past weekend, I will forevermore purchase my fondant. I have tasted the Satin Ice and it's quite good and easy to work with. Don't know anything about the others. Yes, I charge more. It's several more steps that take quite a bit of time. I charge $1.00 per slice more. That covers the cost of the fondant and my extra time to cover the cake. I do prefer to work on a fondant covered cake, however.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 10

Yes, you have more expenses and time involved.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 10

YES!!! I definitely charge more for fondant! I usually charge 50 cents per serving because MMF is cheap to make, but it's a lot of work. Besides you have frosting underneath it, so it's not like it's replacing the frosting!

PSLCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PSLCakeLady Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 10

The base price should be raised. I checked around because I had similar questions but if you go anywhere it's about 40% more. Your time and labor is involved. This is just a base, does not even account for extra time on details on more involved projects. I was looking in a magazine at a local lady's cake and she was charging $18.00 bucks a slice. I don't know what was in the cake or why she charged so much because the outside just had applications but who knows, coulda' been filled with gold for all I know.

Anyway, defintely charge more, whether or not you make your fondant. Stick to your price and if you make your fondant then your profit margin is a little better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%