Icing Colors Bleeding

Decorating By Janet66 Updated 18 Oct 2006 , 12:06pm by sugarshack

Janet66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janet66 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 10

The other day I put red writing on a cake with white icing. I noticed that after a couple of hours the red started to "bleed" onto the white icing. It looked terrible! Any hints for keeping it from doing this? Red is the only color I have trouble with. Thanks!

9 replies
Marissaisabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marissaisabel Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 10

I usually don't have this problem. When I use red or deep color I usually add a little corn syrup. Which I think binds the frosting together. I have had it bleed after a few days out not hours. Perhaps it was the temperature. Temperature also causes this problem. When its to hot or just sudden changes from cold to hot. Sorry. Not sure of any spacifics.

daisyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyz Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 10

Hmmm... I'm not sure I can help, but here's a BUMP!

kincaellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kincaellan Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 10

Try adding some Glycerin to your icing, this will help trap the colour in the icing. You can get it at any cake decorating or craft store.

sarzoemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarzoemom Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:02am
post #5 of 10

I have had that happen too but it was when I was using black and white frostings together. The white started turning purple. What to do?

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:23am
post #6 of 10

Was it very humid? A lot of humidity will cause it to do that.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:29am
post #7 of 10

When I put a dark color like black or red on white icing, if I am using crusting buttercream, I let the white crust very well usually overnight, then I add the red or black in the morning. If I do that, then the color doesn't bleed.

sarzoemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarzoemom Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 11:45am
post #8 of 10

I will give that a try jtb. Thanks

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 11:55am
post #9 of 10

It may also help to be sure your icing has had a few hours to settle the colors into it, and then remix it before piping it. Some use piping gel in their icing to help with this as well, but I haven't tried that myself. Janice

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 12:06pm
post #10 of 10

I think I have read that if the white icing on the cake has meringue powder in it, it will not accept the color, preventing bleeding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%