What Tips Do You Use For Your Fbct?

Decorating By LucyintheSky Updated 17 Oct 2006 , 2:04pm by auntsushi

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 6

I'm assuming a smaller size round tip for the outline then a larger for filling in... but what sizes specifically work best for you? I'm trying my first one this week!! yikes!

5 replies
gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 6

I like to work with a #3 for outlining and a #4 to fill in! Good luck with your first, I'm sure it won't be the last! Once you learn, you will love this technique!

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks! I kept hearing everyone say "small" tip for outlining and "larger" for filling in, but no was was specific about sizes! This helps a lot.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 6

I try to use tip 2 or 3 for outlining and I have found for large areas of fill in that a ziplock bag with a corner cut off works great for that since there is one less tip to dig out of the bag and clean.

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 6

I did a fbct and couldn't find any of my decorating bags, so i used ziplock bags for both the small and the larger tips. I just cut off a teeny bit of the corner for the outline and cut of a little more for the filling in... i know that doesn't really help in your quest for tip numbers, but just letting you know it is far from an exact science.

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 6

I usually use tip 2 or 3 also, sometimes 1 or 4 depending on the detailing of the picture. I did my first full top of the cake FBCT a few days ago (the Grateful Dead cake in my gallery) and I REALLY LOVED doing it this way!! I just made a parchment paper circle the same size as the top of the cake and then when I was done with the design, I made the rest of the top with white icing. It seemed to be so much sturdier and easier than just doing the design and putting that on the top of the cake.

Good luck to you !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%