Can You Do This?

Decorating By sarajohnson Updated 17 Oct 2006 , 2:17pm by jackie64

sarajohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarajohnson Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone else try and bake 2 cakes at the same time, either right next to each other or on different racks in the oven? Does this work or does each bake up different? Cuz I know it doesn't work certain foods.

TIA

8 replies
maplecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maplecakes Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 9

It really depends on your oven. I have a convection oven and placing cakes close together, but not touching is fine. In a non-convection oven there might be problems. You'd have to experiment.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 9

I put two pans in the oven at the same time. I put them on the same rack. I make sure they are not touching each other or the sides of the oven.

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 12:21pm
post #4 of 9

As long as the pans will fit on the same rack in the oven together, I always bake my layers together. That way they are both done at the same time. I have never had a problem with either of them baking differently. I always set them right next to each other with as much space between the pans and the sides of the oven as I can get. I'm sure it varies with each oven but it works for me.
HTH,
Heather

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 12:24pm
post #5 of 9

Same here. If they will fit on the same rack, I will put two or three pans in at the same time.

morphis1208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morphis1208 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 12:25pm
post #6 of 9

I also bake my smaller round cakes side by side with enough room between them and the oven side walls. I also use the wilton bake easy strips and they seem to come out just fine.

HTH

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 12:25pm
post #7 of 9

I did just this last nite. I baked a 9x13, an 8" round, and an 8" square all at the same time. The only thing I did was about every 13 minutes, I rotated them so that they baked evenly. I had no problems whatsoever. Oh, btw, I put the round and square both on same rack, and the 9x13 I put on it's own rack. HTH

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 12:33pm
post #8 of 9

I have had lots of trouble trying to bake cakes on separate racks even when rotating them... it always seems like one ends up done way before the other (and in one instance, one was crispy and the other soupy, oops)! My oven is pretty ancient though, so that might affect it. If your pans are small enough, baking them side by side but not touching does not seem to affect the bake time or quality.

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 2:17pm
post #9 of 9

I always with 8 or 9 inch pans put both of them in . I leave 1 inch between the pans and the walls of the oven and I have never had a problem.HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%