Pumpkin Shaped Carrot Cake Baked In Stoneware - Yikes!!!

Decorating By megankennedy Updated 17 Oct 2006 , 6:45pm by megankennedy

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 9:08am
post #1 of 4

Ok guys, alot of firsts this time (I'm so needy, i think i need a cake shrink) icon_cry.gif
-first time baking in stoneware, i have a bowl and a round casserole, both with 8" lips that will make a great pumpkin shape. do i need to cut the baking temp to 325? also, how full do i need to fill pans?
-first time using flower nail heating core trick. do i just sit it in the bottom or attach it somehow to make it stick?
-first time carving a cake. i think im just gonna have to wing it.
-first time decorating with cream cheese icing. ditto....
-another random question, i saw on someone's pumpkin cake a while back that she baked it in her mixer bowl, it was a large tall dome. i have a 6 qt KA, i am wary of that, it just seems like disaster waiting to happen but i was wondering if anyone has done it before...

THANKS CC I LOVE YOU GUYS!!! WHERE WOULD I BE WITHOUT YOU....

3 replies
projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 4

I'm not going to be much help, but I just wanted to say that I was thinking of trying the same thing.

I have a pyrex bowl that looks like about 1/2 a pumpkin, I was going to try baking in that with a flower nail, x2 and then put them together and decorate like a pumpkin.

The only thing I was worried about was how much buttercream I would have to put on there to be able to make the indentations show up. I hate it when the buttercream on the side of the cake is like an inch thick thumbsdown.gif

As far as the flower nail, you just grease it the way you do the pan (or bowl) and set it on the bottom with the pointy side up and then pour in your batter.

Good luck with the cake. Hopefully someone will come along to give you better information.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 4

I just saw in the grocery store the other day, one of the magazines at the checkout counter had a pumpkin cake on the front. I looked inside and they baked two bundt pans and put them together - bottom to bottom. One ended up upside down and the other was right side up. If I see it again, I'll post the name of magazine.

~Chelle

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 4

thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%