Cartoon Cakes Show- How Did He Do That?

Decorating By Heather1128 Updated 18 Oct 2006 , 3:35am by moydear77

Heather1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather1128 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 6:15am
post #1 of 12

I watched the Cartoon cakes show on the food network and loved the Scooby Doo cake made by Mike. I watched him spray it all with gold color, but what did he use to make it so shiny and metallic looking? Any ideas?

11 replies
mxpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxpark Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 6:47am
post #2 of 12

probably luster dust

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 12

He sprayed it on with the preval spray system. Most likely gold luster dust.

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 12

i keep missing this one! when is it on again???

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 12

How do they get off the hook with making liscensed characters? Seems like all the "big guys" do it.

moydear77 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 12

They are not selling the cakes and it was at a theme park too.

karmicflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmicflower Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 11:41pm
post #7 of 12

You know i was watching that on sunday night, and i remember it being gold spray from a spray can, and i remembered the can was white, and it had a gold bottle attached to the bottom, but i found this that they sell online for us who don't have airbrush systems

http://www.pastrychef.com/Catalog/luster_color_sprays_5186536.htm

HTH,

Jenn

moydear77 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 12

Yes it is white bit ut has a bottle on the bottom. It is known that he uses the preval sprayer. You fill the bottle and the can makes it like spray painting.
I use this on cakes also.
Just watched the show this afternoon.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 12

I have these white cans, and honestly it does not work as well as a real luster dust paint. It is one of those things that I should not have bought.
I do not like these. thumbsdown.gif It does not give you that real jewelry shiny, gold effect . I like making the luster paint the best. Mike used an orange machine spray thing. It was electirc too.
Like the one you would use to paint your house with. icon_smile.gif

moydear77 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 12:00am
post #10 of 12

I don't remember Mike using a sprayer but Norman on the wedding cake table. He ran out of fondant and painted the cake brown.
I am positive it is the Preval because I use the same thing. Duff does also. There was a thread here that Mary Alice replied to about these amazing little cans that can turn liquid into spray.

Yes I am a Food Network Challenge junkie!

karmicflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmicflower Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:46am
post #11 of 12

I have never used the ones from the link, just found them searching the web, but thanks for the heads up prettycake, i considered buying one to try it, but now i won't. I looked up the preval sprayer, and yes it looks like thats the one. The store i found it on said this "Converts jar of paint into an aerosol sprayer. Portable system delivers almost any liquid. Fill glass container with paint, attach disposable power unit, and spray up to 16-oz of liquid. Replaceable power units."

moydear77 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:35am
post #12 of 12

It is great for large surface area. Not good for detail work. I use it for my wedding cake for OSSAS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%