Fall-Themed Cake Balls/truffles??

Decorating By Kate714 Updated 17 Oct 2006 , 6:28pm by Kate714

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 18

I have my first paid cake truffle order, and she requested a mix of flavors, with a "fall theme." She wants them dipped in chocolate. I've already thought of drizzling orange cake melts on top, but what else can I do??? I thought of using a stiff BC to pipe a leaf on top, but then I won't be able to stack them (if I need to). Any suggestions?

Also, any ideas on packaging, if I can't stack them? I'm thinking something like a small shirt box...would that be weird looking? Does Michael's sell something like that?

17 replies
Kate714 Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 18

oops, meant orange CANDY melts! I got cake on the brain LOL

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 18

Why not strip with a dark and light orange strip on some then brown and a light shade of brown on the rest for fall colors. You can also make tiny little leaves. Roll fondant into a tear shap - press and then add lines or if you a leaf veiner.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 18

I think it would be fun to have them dipped in orange poured fondant and pipe on a pumkin lines with vine and stem...too much?

Little bright mum's in royal icing would look so cute. Wish I could be there to help, sounds like a fun project.

jillchap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillchap Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 18

it would be super nice to do fall flavours as well... pumpkin, spice and apple, maybe with cream cheese frosting.
good luck with your order!

Kate714 Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 18

good suggestions on the flavors...I thought of some like that too...yum!!

Not sure how to do poured fondant?!?

As for fondant leaves...how could I get them to stick to the chocolate?

thanks!

justsweet Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 18

Let the leave dry for maybe two hours or longer if not in a hurry. when ready to put on - dap a little chocolate with a toothpick and place leaf on truffle.

I would make the leave ahead of time so you are not running around. Then you can put luster dust them before placing on truffle.

Kate714 Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 18

ah, a reason to get some luster dust!! I've been wanting to get some icon_biggrin.gif

Kate714 Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 18

oh, forgot to mention...these will be for around Thanksgiving. Is that too late to do leaves?? She said "fall-themed"!!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:17am
post #10 of 18

While the choc is still wet you can shake any kind of sprinkles or sugars on them. Wilton has a fall leaf one that is great for this.

justsweet Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:24am
post #11 of 18

No, it will not be too late to add leaves. Fall ends in December

Kate714 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:35am
post #12 of 18

okay good. I'm thinking...all the trees around here will be bare by then! but I'm not about to put turkeys on them icon_lol.gif

thanks for the tip about the sprinkles...I think I actually have some of those!

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:01pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate714

Not sure how to do poured fondant?!?As for fondant leaves...how could I get them to stick to the chocolate? thanks!

Tip: if too think ...add more water to make easier to pour. Put you cake balls on a rack with wax paper underneath. Like Petit Fours. When dry add a dot of royal icing to secure any fondant/royal icing deocrations.

INGREDIENTS
6 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon almond extract
DIRECTIONS
In a saucepan, combine confectioners' sugar, water and corn syrup. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches a temperature of 92 degrees F (33 degrees C.) Mixture should be thin enough to pour, but thick enough to coat cake.

Fun icon_biggrin.gif

Kate714 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 5:29pm
post #14 of 18

it does sound fun! thanks

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 5:36pm
post #15 of 18

my first thought was acorns! What if you make a small disc for the top out of choc. candy clay??? Make the cake balls look like acorns.

chele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 5:49pm
post #16 of 18

Love the Acorn idea.. How cute!!!!

Lynz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynz Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 5:55pm
post #17 of 18

What about mini pinicones. There are some really neat pictures on here and I think they would add a neat touch with the leaves

Good Luck

Kate714 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 6:28pm
post #18 of 18

the acorn idea is cute...I made some out of fondant...but my cake balls are much too big to look like acorns!

those pine cones look really nice, but complicated!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%