I Was In A Real Dedicated Cake Store This Weekend

Decorating By deijha Updated 17 Oct 2006 , 10:25pm by Rodneyck

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 18

and when I walked in my eyes glazed over and my brain was overwhelmed. (Ok this may seem funny, but I'm from a very small town and have one little store with one little section of cake stuff) I went to Fort Wayne, Indiana to visit a cousin and went to the Country Kitchen Store. I had been on there website before and had a list in my head (I should have wrote it down), but didn't get some of the things I had in mind. I had so much fun, I could have spent hours in there and icon_lol.gif thousands of dollars. I told my husband when I got home, its probably a good thing they are not closer, cause I would have a very big problem. It would be great to have a store like that, when I needed something, I could just go to the store instead of having to find it online and order and pay shipping and wait......Now I can give my list and money to whoever is going up and have them get it for me. icon_lol.gif I knew you all would understand my excitment!!
Jeanne

17 replies
mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 18

sounds like fun.......I have never been in one before!

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 18

So what did you buy??? Sounds like fun!

sherry_lyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry_lyn Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 18

I went to Country Kitchen for the 1st time this summer & had about the same reaction. It's kind of a blur, but I remember saying OMG alot. LOL And just so you know, if you spend more than $100 you get 10% off. LMAO

starrchaser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrchaser Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 18

i sooo know exactly how you feel. i to am from a small community. the only cake deco suplies are the grocerie store. One kind of vanilla, the same 5 liquid food coloring, ect. i couldnt even buy a decorating bag anywhere. it was a sad afair. but then i visited a little place in Antigonish called Gabbereaus Cullinary closet. They had every gel color and bag and tip and and Wilton everything. They even have the wilton classes available. I was there for 2 hours and spent like $200. (all i needed was gel color) i was in heaven. i cant wait to go back but it's a 45 min drive on the highway. and its hard to get away with 4 kiddies.

HunBun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HunBun Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 18

I had the SAME experience last week going to Nicholas Lodge's store for the first time. I told my hubby that when I drove into the parking lot and saw the store sign I heard music in my head - like "Tah Dah!!" He responded with "O...K..." like I was crazy or something. So it was funny and nice to see your post.

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 18

I knew you all would understand!! Let's see I bought, a couple of jars of luster dust, a couple sheets of chocolate transfers, some Americolor's, marizapan, several molds (man they have all kinds of molds) scallop impressions, something else I'm just blank right now. Wasn't really anything big or special just some things i had on the brain, like I said I should have written down everything I wanted. Oh well, I will be back!!
I'm glad to know I am not the only one who gets that OMG look, my cousin was having a good time laughing at me!! icon_lol.gif
sherry_lyn I will have to remember that!
HunBun my saying is Shopping BONG! BONG! my hubby just kinda rolls his eyes and says this is going to cost me icon_lol.gif
Jeanne

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 5:55pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by deijha

Now I can give my list and money to whoever is going up and have them get it for me. icon_lol.gif I knew you all would understand my excitment!!
Jeanne

I live 2 hours from the closest Walmart so I can't even get food coloring on a regular basis. icon_cry.gif Some of my husband's friends live about 4 hours away but they are from the area we're in so are home at least every couple weeks. There's a cake store in that town (Fargo, ND) and they complain because I get them to run over and pick stuff up for me, like they don't get treats out of me for it. icon_rolleyes.gif

Call the store and see if they'll do it but I can call in an order to be picked up, no extra charge, put it on a card and then the people I send only have to run in and ask for the package. It also helps if they aren't familiar with cake supplies, that way you know you get the right stuff and don't have shipping.

There is nothing like going there yourself though, I plan trips to my parents around the times the store is open so I can make my husband stop. icon_lol.gif

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 8:24pm
post #9 of 18

Ohhh I love that place!!! Been there twice now icon_smile.gif DH took me for my birthday and spoiled me rotten and then I went for a fondant class and of course had to get a few things before I left. Its about an hour north of me but so worth the drive. Glad you could experieince it, I had the same reaction. It was so big and had EVERYTHING that I didn't know what to look at first lol.

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 8:42pm
post #10 of 18

I order from them online now and again, a really good company with excellent service.

I have a very good cake supply store in the south of San Francisco, but when I go home this holiday season to see the family in Indiana, I plan on making a trip to Fort Wayne to visit the CK store. I love milling through any cake supply store.

gpe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gpe Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:34pm
post #11 of 18

I KNOW THAT FEELING !!
I was there last Friday myself for the first time on a trip back from NY .. (what's another 45 miles when there's a cake store at the other end !)

I walked up and down in front of the cookie cutters for a long time .. when I finally looked up and saw THERE WAS A WHOLE STORE behind me ..

I just roamed the aisles too .. a bit in awe that there was EVERYTHING IN ONE PLACE that locally it takes me 4 different stores and sometimes a trip out of town ..

Got the catalog and have been marking the pages as to my next trip there ..

Nancy

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:04pm
post #12 of 18

Yep! We understand.

Last week we went to the store (90 minutes away) closest, and took the kids. Boys dropped us girls off, and my daughter was *officially introduced to the world of cakes*. She's now asking why we can't make a cake every day! Ooh, but she's SOO posessive over her cake items from the trip!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:05pm
post #13 of 18

Forgot to add...

She's only 4! We're going to need two kitchens and two pantries before she leaves the house.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:15pm
post #14 of 18

I live in in a fairly large area. But everytime, I go into the cake section of a craft store. I get the same feeling. Even though I have looked at the same stuff over and over. Everytime we go to a grocery store or Wal-mart, I have to go by and look at the cakes. My family just rolls thier eyes at me. icon_lol.gif

chestercheeto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chestercheeto Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 6:46pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneyck

I order from them online now and again, a really good company with excellent service.

I have a very good cake supply store in the south of San Francisco, but when I go home this holiday season to see the family in Indiana, I plan on making a trip to Fort Wayne to visit the CK store. I love milling through any cake supply store.

Rodney, can you tell me what cake store you shop at in SF? i've been looking for something better than Michaels.

Rodneyck Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 10:10pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chakkakin

Rodney, can you tell me what cake store you shop at in SF? i've been looking for something better than Michaels.

Hi there!!! I know what you mean about Michaels, mostly Wilton stuff. Unfortunately the store is not in San Francisco. You would think that a city full of designers and artists and the like, there would be something devoted to cakes and supplies. I guess it is the high rent and everything.

Daly City is where I go, to a store that has been in business I think for 30 years, although in different locations, San Francisco being one of them, at one time. The name of it is Sugar n' Spice. The store may not be as orderly as Michaels, but they have just about everything. If you don't see something, ask. They are very friendly. They have good quality high-ratio shortening and 10 x sugar for cheap. I could go on. Oh, and they also offer classes which I have taken. Support the local businesses!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Here is their address;
Sugar N Spice
2965 Junipero Serra Boulevard
Daly City, CA 94014-2549
Phone: (650) 994-4911

chestercheeto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chestercheeto Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 10:15pm
post #17 of 18

thanks Rodney. i drive down that way all the time. Target is my favoritest place in the world. lol. icon_biggrin.gif i'll be sure to check out Sugar 'n Spice next time i'm in the area. thanks again!

Rodneyck Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 10:25pm
post #18 of 18

LOL..we probably pass each other. I just went to Target and stopped by Sugar N' Spice the other day. It is just right up the road, so convenient which I guess can be both good and bad for the wallet. icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%