My Mil

Lounge By mbelgard Updated 18 Aug 2007 , 1:53pm by michellenj

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 5

Is gone for the weekend so she can't be nosy again until Tuesday!!!

We've been painting and putting trim up in the living room, dining room and hall and she's been sticking her nose in every day she can. In a way it works out because I started telling her not to come over because I'm busy so she started calling to ask if she could pick the kids up for a few hours. I know it's an excuse to come over and tell me what I should do but at the same time I get a couple quiet hours.

Yesterday she acted like I really care what she thinks about how we're doing it. icon_mad.gif You have to understand that if she doesn't like something in my house I don't hear the end of it, she's not someone who can say "well it's not what I'd pick" and leave it alone. She'll mention my bathroom and how she thinks I should remodel it at least every other month, the problem is her "wonderful" ideas include making it smaller and putting in a geriatric tub (with the door). We've told her for over 18 months that we aren't going to make it smaller or put the shower in the tub if we remodel and she keeps bringing it up.

I picked a darker color for my walls several months ago and she's been telling me how dark it's going to look and how I should pick something lighter. She quit once she saw it because it's a gorgeous color and doesn't make the room look small or dark but then she started in on how maybe I shouldn't put the color I was planning in my kitchen. She had a good idea for something in the kitchen and I'm almost afraid to use it because then she's going to think that it's me asking for more "wonderful ideas" from her.

In case anyone thinks I'm being mean saying she's nosy one of my husband's cousins got an old trailer and it wasn't even leveled before she was over "having a peek" and telling them what they should do to fix it up. icon_confused.gif

I really try to be nice to her because she isn't what you could call mean but the last week or so I've been ready to scream so I needed to vent.

4 replies
Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:11am
post #2 of 5

At least she's not like my grandmother (God rest her soul). She died before I was born. My mom said when her and daddy first married that his mom would come over to visit and rearrange her furniture icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif I think I would have blown my top but you just have to know my mom, she is just so calm about everything. She just waited until she left and changed it back icon_rolleyes.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:26am
post #3 of 5

She's almost that bad. We rented our house before we bought it, there are these little corner openings in the cabinets that you can put say a cookie jar or something in. One day before we owned the house she was over trying to get my husband to put doors on them because "it would give us extra storage spaces." These things are triangular and you couldn't fit a platter in one so why it would help is beyond me (besides I like them for displaying Christmas decorations).
If she thought she could get away with it she'd rearrange my kitchen, she never cooks over here or anything but she can't reach my plates or anything and she always yells at me about that. Never mind that we're way taller than her (I'm about 7" taller and my husband is 5 more than that) so we can reach our stuff without a problem.

I think the only thing that restrains her is that I'd get mad. She tells me how I should arrange my furniture all the time. icon_lol.gif

My big problem with her stems from the fact that she's bored and she has my FIL and the four of us. I'm convinced that she'd do the same if I was her kid, it's just her personality, and the only reason her son doesn't get annoyed is because she wants female companionship so she bugs me and leaves him alone. icon_lol.gif

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 3:03am
post #4 of 5

Sounds exactly like my MIL... She'll tell you how to arrange the furniture too! And she has rearranged my linen closet, my refrigerator and snooped EVERY inch of the house. She always had a thing about checking on the litter box when she would come over.... like go down to the basement, around to the furthest reaches, to see when we last cleaned it... Now her thing is to look out our back patio to "investigate" our lack of progress in our landscaping and weeding! LOL OMG...

Soooooo happy she is gone for this month! Yippee!!!

Melissa

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 5

My MIL is wonderful, but my mom is a nightmare. When I was pg with #1, she came up 10 days before my due date, then complained about the snow and cold. Umm, we're in PA, and if you don't like smoking in the cold, don't come or stop smoking.

While I was at work she went through all of our wedding gifts, took them out of the boxes and threw the boxes away, and displayed them throughout the house. What if I wanted to regift? And I don't think that crystal bowls and candlesticks are exactly babyproof.

I was in labor and she forced us to go out to dinner, then started a huge, screaming argument w/ me-in labor, mind you-about how I treat her like s***.

She was sneaking giving the baby a paci when I wasn't around, and the baby was having a hard time latching.

With DS, she also picked a fight w/ me in labor.

While we were at the hospital, she picked the lock to our bedroom, went through everything, and STOLE THINGS. Including ornaments off of my Christmas tree.

Both times, after all of this was over, she went back to GA and told all of the family that I was soooo horrible to her. Thank goodness everone knows she is an alcoholic and doesn't believe her.

I could go on. Just be happy that your MIL isn't my mother.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%