Can You Tell Me Why This Happened???

Decorating By nefgaby Updated 17 Aug 2007 , 4:18am by nefgaby

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 28

Well, I'm baking today and look at what happened to my cakes... does any one knows what happened to them?
I used DH's and doctored them up, this is the recipe I always use... so weird! I don't like them! icon_cry.gif They are 10" and Witon Pans.
Any ideas? Thanks so much!
LL

27 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 28

Ghee, thats crazy! I only see where it does that when its overcooked but from what I can see it doesnt appear to be. Maybe check the date on the package. Maybe it was a box that was sitting there a while and the ingredients went bad.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 28

My guess is too much liquid, oven too hot, and/or baked too long.

It could have also been a bad batch of cake mix.

Michele

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 28

That is the wierdest thing I have seen in a long time. I wish I could help but all I can do is give you a bump! thumbs_up.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 28

also would like to know as had same thing happen last time I used doctored DH

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 28

My cakes do this sometimes, but they are homemade german chocolate. I don't know why they do this, but the shrinkage is weird. And it only happens as they cool. When they first come out of the oven they are even with the top of the pan, and only slightly pulling away from the sides. hope someone can give troubleshooting info.

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

Well, I'm baking today and look at what happened to my cakes... does any one knows what happened to them?
I used DH's and doctored them up, this is the recipe I always use... so weird! I don't like them! icon_cry.gif They are 10" and Witon Pans.
Any ideas? Thanks so much!

Looks like to me there is not enough batter for this 10 inch pan... Also when you bake a cake you want to bake it at 325 yes its going to take longer but they come out better... I set my timer for 45 mins and then watch if from there most of the time its about 15-20 mins more...

10 inch pans take almost 2 boxes of mix...

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 28

I've had that happen as well. Baking is a science, and I wonder if the mixes don't take well to all the doctoring we put them through. I know the companies test and retest all the mixes put out there and have developed the "perfect" ratio of fats and liquid to make the best product from their mix.

Doctoring by adding the extra egg adds more protein and more fat. Increasing the oil, more fat, reducing the water, adding pudding.. they all mess with the science.

I have switched to using the cake mix extender recipe until I've used the mixes on the shelf, then I'm really considering going 100% homemade if I can get the moistness and stability I want. I'm having excellent results with the extender recipe, by the way.

Just my thoughts..

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladycake

Looks like to me there is not enough batter for this 10 inch pan... Also when you bake a cake you want to bake it at 325 yes its going to take longer but they come out better... I set my timer for 45 mins and then watch if from there most of the time its about 15-20 mins more...

10 inch pans take almost 2 boxes of mix...

last time this happened to me:

i over filled and cake rose above edge and then shrank!

i baked at 325 and they shrank

I watched and watched and they looked perfect but as they cooled, they shrank and shrank

(if only my waistline would do that! icon_rolleyes.gif )

sisita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisita Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:32pm
post #10 of 28

For me the oven was cold at frist, an then baked for a long time...

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:09am
post #11 of 28

I like Dougs thought! I wish my waist, legs, thighs. butt, etc. would shrink like that too!!

nefgaby Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:37am
post #12 of 28

Wow, thanks for all the reponse! Well, I baked at 350 for 25-30 min, I only put half a cake mix + doctored stuff to each pan, I like my layers thin since I hate torting... anyway, they are horrible!
I did check the dates and they are fine, I got them yesterday at my local Target. I really don't know what else could've happen... Next time I'll try 325. I do the 325 with 12" or more pans, but now will start with the 10" as well.
Thanks everybody, hope to find the answer soon!
I really love DH and would HATE to switch to any other brand. Thanks again!

nefgaby Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:39am
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

I've had that happen as well. Baking is a science, and I wonder if the mixes don't take well to all the doctoring we put them through. I know the companies test and retest all the mixes put out there and have developed the "perfect" ratio of fats and liquid to make the best product from their mix.

Doctoring by adding the extra egg adds more protein and more fat. Increasing the oil, more fat, reducing the water, adding pudding.. they all mess with the science.

I have switched to using the cake mix extender recipe until I've used the mixes on the shelf, then I'm really considering going 100% homemade if I can get the moistness and stability I want. I'm having excellent results with the extender recipe, by the way.

Just my thoughts..

May I ask... do you find the cake mix extender to be super SWEET? For some reason when I use it, it turns out really sweet... thanks!

Ladycake Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:46am
post #14 of 28
Quote:

Wow, thanks for all the reponse! Well, I baked at 350 for 25-30 min, I only put half a cake mix + doctored stuff to each pan, I like my layers thin since I hate torting... anyway, they are horrible!
I did check the dates and they are fine, I got them yesterday at my local Target. I really don't know what else could've happen... Next time I'll try 325. I do the 325 with 12" or more pans, but now will start with the 10" as well.
Thanks everybody, hope to find the answer soon!
I really love DH and would HATE to switch to any other brand. Thanks again!

I do 325 with all and any cake I bake even my cupcakes at this temp...

nefgaby Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:56am
post #15 of 28

Thanks, I will start doing the 325 temp thing!

Ladycake Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:08am
post #16 of 28
Quote:

Thanks, I will start doing the 325 temp thing!

The other thing you might want to get is a temperature gage from like Wal Mart and put it in your oven to make sure its baking at the right temp..

nefgaby Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:14am
post #17 of 28

I thought about doing that, it is a new oven... but I've been baking cakes with it for the last month and a half with out this ever happening. Thanks again!

kcat3740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcat3740 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:21am
post #18 of 28

I have had this happen several times when I was using a butter recipe mix. When I switched to a recipe with oil in the mix I did not have a problem. Hope that helps....I know it is very frustrating!! icon_sad.gif

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:21am
post #19 of 28

Sometimes over mixing can cause they cake to be dense and pull away.

nefgaby Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:30am
post #20 of 28

Kcat, now that I think about it, it is sooo true! I've never had this happen to my chocolate cake (whice is oil, not butter) mmm... maybe it is something to do with that as well!

And Moy, you know, that could've been the case too, I had the batter in the mixer when my son called me, he was stock between toys (boys, ha!) and I went to help and my batter mixed for longer than usual, buy maybe for about 3-4 mins more, med-high speed. Do you think that those extra mins could have been the problem?

Thanks again!

Ladycake Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:58am
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcat3740

I have had this happen several times when I was using a butter recipe mix. When I switched to a recipe with oil in the mix I did not have a problem. Hope that helps....I know it is very frustrating!! icon_sad.gif

That is all I bake with is Butter I have not used oil in about 5 years now when I make a cake... So I dont think it would be just that... But I put a full stick of butter to a cake box too...

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:58am
post #22 of 28

Over mixing can cause trouble. I was at Borders and they had this great book. I will have to go back and get it. It showed everything that can wrong with just about every baking instance. I find that over mixing can cause shrinkage and heavy cake.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:58am
post #23 of 28

looks like it was overdone to me too.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:03am
post #24 of 28
Quote:

Kcat, now that I think about it, it is sooo true! I've never had this happen to my chocolate cake (whice is oil, not butter) mmm... maybe it is something to do with that as well!

And Moy, you know, that could've been the case too, I had the batter in the mixer when my son called me, he was stock between toys (boys, ha!) and I went to help and my batter mixed for longer than usual, buy maybe for about 3-4 mins more, med-high speed. Do you think that those extra mins could have been the problem?

Thanks again!

I think you figured it out....3 to 4 minutes longer. That is a lot of more time.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:06am
post #25 of 28
Quote:

Thanks again!

I think you figured it out....3 to 4 minutes longer. That is a lot of more time.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:12am
post #26 of 28

okay, just read where you said you got called away from the mixer to free a stuck son icon_lol.gif and it mixed for 3-4 minutes longer----there is your problem. It could be a number of things but I'm willing to bet it's overmixing. The more you mix, the more the protien in eggs will mess with your product. Eggs are very sensitive to overbeating. (that's why a lot of Chefs will test cooks before hiring them by having them cook eggs since it's actually a very hard thing to do properly. A simple egg is considered one of the hardest foods to cook. Sounds odd I know but once we learned eggs in class I learned I've been doing everything wrong almost) When mixing in eggs once the eggs are incorperated and you don't see streaks in the batter stop mixing. If eggs are beaten for too long it will often make the food a different texture too, usually heavier.

I know you probably don't overmix usually but just this once because you got pulled away. As a side note whenever I bake I always do 325 no matter what size pan.

Kids can be funny can't they! Getting stuck in all sorts of places.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:44am
post #27 of 28
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Just my thoughts..

May I ask... do you find the cake mix extender to be super SWEET? For some reason when I use it, it turns out really sweet... thanks!

The first time I used a cake extender it was too sweet. I took the 2 extender recipes I found here and combined them to find the best fit for me. Here is what I do:

To one cake mix, with ingredients as listed on the box add:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar (one recipe called for 1 cup sugar which I thought was TOOO sweet)
1 tsp vanilla or other compatible flavoring
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 package instant pudding that compliments the cake flavor
1/3 tsp salt
1 c yogurt or sour cream
to a chocolate cake I add:
1/3 c baking cocoa

I have had outstanding results, good rise and to date never a problem with shrinkage.
The result is a homemade like flavor and excellent texture. As an added bonus cupcakes turn out beautifully with this recipe, and I was having major problems with cupcakes I never had before.
icon_smile.gif

nefgaby Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:18am
post #28 of 28

Well, Thank You all!!!
Now, I've learned a couple things, gotta love CC!
1. YES, 3 min more of mixing CAN and WILL kill a cake.
2. Bake at 325 no matter what size pan, and
3. Boys CAN get stuck behind 2 tonka trucks and a toy chest (he was drowning in toys in his room!) What a mess...

And Thank You Laura for sharing your extender recipe, can't wait to try it!

OK ladies, wish me luck, I'm baking my son's birthday cake next week. Thanks again, really, I don't know what I would do without you all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%