Buttermilk

Baking By SCS Updated 19 Aug 2007 , 8:45pm by crazycakes2007

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 10

I am currently trying out new cake recipes, and some of them have buttermilk in them.

I have heard that you can add something to normal milk to make it into buttermilk. Is this correct? If it is - what do you add and how much? Or would you just recommend buying buttermilk?

Thanks in advance!

9 replies
bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 10

You can google & find it or check baking911.com, but I use 1 TBSP vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup whole milk. Let it set for 15 min before using in the recipe. This is also sometimes referred to as "sour milk" in older recipes.

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 10

You can add a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to a cup of milk. Let it stand for about 5 minutes so it can get the "buttermilk" touch to it, and use it just like it says in the recipe.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 10

I buy powdered buttermilk and keep it in the fridge so I don't have to worry about liquid buttermilk going bad after a few days.

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:15am
post #5 of 10

Thanks for your replies! I've never seen powdered buttermilk so I will have to look for it!

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:41am
post #6 of 10

I tried the powdered buttermilk before but hate the lumps. I just buy fresh buttermilk when I need it now. If I forget to get it or try baking with what's on hand and don't have any, I will just add lemon juice or vinegar. Incidentally, when you've added an acid, it's also called clabbered milk.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 10

I love powdered buttermilk. I use it in alot of my baking, especially when substituting fruit for water/milk because I still get the benefits of the buttermilk instead of simply replacing it. It's also cheaper in the long run and easier to keep. Bob's Red Mill makes some good buttermilk powder and it's more concentrated so you don't have to use as much as some of the other brands.

crazycakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycakes2007 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 6:24pm
post #8 of 10

LaSombra,

Can you talk more about that? Do you add the fruit in equal volume to replace the water/milk? Then how much powdered buttermilk do you add? I'm new to messing with recipes to make them my own, so I'd love to hear about this!

Cheryl

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycakes2007

LaSombra,

Can you talk more about that? Do you add the fruit in equal volume to replace the water/milk? Then how much powdered buttermilk do you add? I'm new to messing with recipes to make them my own, so I'd love to hear about this!

Cheryl

Well, when I add fruit, I always do it blended but it really depends on the fruit. Bananas and strawberries, for instance, are only 90% water so you have to make an adjustment when replacing in the recipe (add a little more). If you were to put an equal amount, there wouldn't be enough liquid in your recipe. My yellow cake recipe is linked here in my profile and has variations in it.

I'd rather adjust my yellow recipe and have variations than to have all different recipes just because it could get really confusing and all these recipes everywhere. I don't use it for everything, of course, but it helps with several flavors.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

crazycakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycakes2007 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 8:45pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you!

Cheryl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%