Helpppp!!! Cake Tiers / Cake / Frosting

Decorating By seagoat Updated 29 Aug 2007 , 5:32am by beemarie

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 10

Help...What do you use in between the cake and the tier plate? To keep the icing from sticking to the plate? My first cake with tiers and now I'm getting lil nervous..

Please help!!

TIA

9 replies
bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 10

I don't usually use anything, just wait for bc to crust, but I have used powdered sugar or coconut. HTH!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 10

I cut my dowels so they slightly above the top of the icing, maybe 1/8 of an inch. By the time I put on a border, you can't see any gap. The top icing on the bottom layer stays intact.

HTH

Jodie

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 10

I dont' use anything either. A good crusting BC and you wont' have an issue. http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page19.html Here is a photo on cake cutting .... you can see in the pics the plate indentations on top of hte tiers, which shows you that the plate was touching the icing ... but no icing pulled off.

I always caution folks about using coconut .... as a coconut HATER, I would demand a full refund if there was any coconut on my cake because I would consider it fully non-edible. So if you try that, just be sure to check with your client first.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 10

I would caution you not to use coconut also. Seems like half the world hates coconut and the other half thinks they're allergic to it.

I use a non-crusting bc, so I put a bit of coarse sugar under the plate.

fuzzykoala22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fuzzykoala22 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I use a non-crusting bc, so I put a bit of coarse sugar under the plate.

So... if I'm using IMBC would powdered sugar absorb into it once it comes back to room temp?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 1:38am
post #7 of 10

Yaknow, I'm not going to make any predictions about IMBC, 'cause I just don't like the stuff. Don't like working with it, don't like making it, and actually don't like the taste all that much.

I use coarse sugar and that doesn't absorb.

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 10:44pm
post #8 of 10

thank you guys for the posts, I will remember them for the future. Please check out my post of "my first tiered cake" in the general section and let me know what you think.
I was afraid of using coconut just for that reason.

Jessica

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 11:07pm
post #9 of 10

I was watching a Disney Weddings special on Food Network...the chef at Disney shaved/grated white chocolate on top of the tier before adding the next tier, to keep the plate/cardboard from sticking. I guess you could use a coordinating color of finely chopped candy melts if you wanted something less obvious. You probably would not see it anyway, after you apply the bottom border to each tier. In any case, it makes sense to me.

Much better idea than coconut, imho, tho I have not yet tried it. My family hates coconut.

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 5:32am
post #10 of 10

I love the white chocolate idea! I think most people would love that, also. I am a huge fan of coconut, but I know most people are not, and large grains of sugar just don't appeal to me, although I am sure it works fine. This is the first I have heard of the white chocolate idea, so thanks for sharing that great tip thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%