What Kind Of Frosting Is Best For Flowers? Lard In Frosting?

Decorating By Sarsi Updated 17 Aug 2007 , 10:36pm by BlakesCakes

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 6

Hey ya'll! Can anyone give me tips about what kind of frosting is the best for making flowers (piping them)? I have tried it with my BC, but it seems too soft? Do I need to add more powdered sugar, or is royal icing good? I've been looking for a royal icing recipe, and they only say their for icing cookies?? I'm so confused!! icon_biggrin.gif

My mother-in-law was telling me about a lady that made a cake for a wedding or something, and the frosting was amazing! She asked the cake decorator why it tasted so good and she said that she uses lard in the frosting. Has anyone heard of this? Anyone ever tried it, is it really good??

5 replies
bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 6

I think there are different recipes for piping royal & cookie royal, but I'm not sure. I use the Wilton recipe, which is on the merengue powder can & in the yearook: http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/royal.cfm

You can adjust it for the consistency you need.

As for lard in icing icon_eek.gif ...lard is usually animal fat...frying, okay, in icing - eeewwwwwwww! Maybe she was confused & meant shortening? icon_confused.gif

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks bkdcakes !!! I will have to try that recipe then..

I'm pretty sure she didnt get the lard/shortening messed up. I thought it sounded kinda gross too...maybe she just used half lard half butter?? I dont know. I've been too scared to try it!! LOL

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:10am
post #4 of 6

I would be very wary of the lard... it doesn't smell like delicious bacon (which would still not be delicious in icing) but PIG. eew.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:13am
post #5 of 6

bleck on the lard thing!

I use my regular BC icing for everything .... icing, roses, flowers, etc. It's a good crusting BC. Haven't used royal icing for anything in years.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 6

No, never lard icon_eek.gif

Crisco, Trex, white vegetable fat ONLY!

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%