Red Icing...

Decorating By pump_jc Updated 14 Jul 2005 , 6:50pm by bjfranco

pump_jc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pump_jc Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 14

Would it be best to use pink coloring to get a deep pink color and then add red to get it the rest of the way red? I have the no-taste red, but I think it still adds a taste to it....

13 replies
mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 14

That is what most people say to do.

I have also read to add a little cherry juice to help with the color and it will also give it a nice hint of cherry flavor.

I know my friend had to make red for an Elmo cake and she had to use practically the whole wilton gel jar of Christmas Red to get it. She said the taste was fine though.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 14

I guess that would depend on what shade of pink you're trying to get. If you use too much red and it sits for awhile, it will get darker red... I'd use just the pink and keep adding until I got it close to the shade I was trying to get then let it sit a day or so if possible. It will darken after it sits.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 14

I think the no taste red still has an aftertaste too. Even pink, if you use a lot of it will leave an aftertaste. You might try using a different brand like Americolor's Super Red. Gets to red fast with no aftertaste.

Justcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justcakes Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 14

I agree! Use Americolor's Super Red! Once I switched to Americolor brand I never went back to Wilton. You get a true color and use way less.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 14

Sorry I must to have read that wrong.. I thought she was trying to get a pink color.. duh! Americolor is the way to go!

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 14

I agree - Americolor is the best -- I had used wilton for about 24 years and then discovered Americolor - you can't beat it. It takes very little and you will be very please with the end result color.

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 14

what websites do you like to order the Americolor from?

I would like to try them but they don't sell them in any stores locally for me.

Thanks.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 14

I order mine from www.sugarcraft.com

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 5:27pm
post #10 of 14

you could try adding just a hint of yellow to your deep pink to get a redder tone...just be careful not to use too much or it'll turn orange.

Simplydelicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Simplydelicious Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 4:35am
post #11 of 14

I don't like mixing reds or black, so what I do is buy Dawn's But-R-Cream that is already colored and then mix with white to get the desired pinks or grays. It is much easier than trying to mix them. If you have a cake supply store in your area, check to see if they can get the product.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 4:44am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplydelicious

I don't like mixing reds or black, so what I do is buy Dawn's But-R-Cream that is already colored and then mix with white to get the desired pinks or grays. It is much easier than trying to mix them. If you have a cake supply store in your area, check to see if they can get the product.

Do you buy directly from Dawn? I previously used their icings in the bakery i worked in and would like to order them for home use in the harder to reach colors. Do you have to have a tax ID #? What quantities to you have to order them in? Also do you know an aprox price per container? What size buckets to you get?

I know a lot of questions but I just can't seem to find the answers when searching for them.

I appreciate your time

Leily

Simplydelicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Simplydelicious Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 5:16am
post #13 of 14

I don't buy directly from Dawn, I get the icing in small quantities from my local cake store. I haven't checked yet, but I was told that you had to have a store in order to be able to purchase from them. Sorry, I didn't have all the answers you needed.

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 6:50pm
post #14 of 14

I had the same problem with the no taste red and it never did get red enough even after sitting for awhile. My instructor told me to make dark pink first then add red (or burgundy) OR get Spiderman Red.

I used Spiderman Red and it was very red. (ie: elmo red)

I am going to check out that Americolor too because I am using too much Wilton coloring right now - containers at a time it seems.

bj icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%