Would It Benefit Me To Take The Class?

Decorating By Price Updated 17 Aug 2007 , 5:22pm by emmascakes

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone. I was in Michael's this morning and noticed the Wilton Fondant and Gumpaste Class starts in September. I have done alot of playing around with fondant, but haven't had any training or classes. Every thing I have learned about fondant to this point is from Books, Internet and the helpful members of CC! I've been modeling with fondant for over a year now, but I wasn't sure if there are any tips or hints that I might pick up from the class. Is it worth spending my money?

TIA for your opinions!

7 replies
AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 8

OMG! I took a look at your pictures and I think you could probably teach them a lot. You are very talented and whatever you are doing keep it up. Your modeling is fantastic!

blmiller84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blmiller84 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 8

I just finished taking that class and I wasn't very impressed with it. You learn carnations (or how to attempt to make them... icon_redface.gif mine looked awful), daisies, and fantasy flowers (which are pretty and just made with hearts). Also how to cover a cake with fondant and use the different fondant tools. Oh, and the nifty little fondant box. But nothing really impressive. And all the "final cake" options they have in the book look like tea party hats!

I would suggest that you just buy the book for the class (or browse through it in the store to see if it is even worth you buying) and decide for yourself. I never worked with fondant before the class, but I don't really feel like I learned much from it.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:10am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the replies. I'm just not sure if the class would be worth my time, energy and money. I usually feel that if I come away from something learning one new thing it's worth it. I'm wondering if the class would teach me anything that I can't learn from a book or CC?

I would love to be able to cover cakes and have them be as beautiful as some of the cakes I have seen on here. The talent shown here is amazing! I've been decorating now for about 2 1/2 years. It's time for me to tackle covering cakes in fondant. In the last few months I've started covering small items like a book, and just this week I did a tote bag. I'm waiting for an occassion to try a larger cake.

I have an idea for a cake that I have been playing around with for about 6 months now. It would be a sculpted cake and would require it to be covered in fondant. I would have a seam on one side. I have heard or read about rubbing the fondant to remove the seam? Any suggestions or tips on how to do that? I appreciate any advice I can get!!!

AlamoSweets - Thanks, I love modeling. I can look at my earlier cakes and see how I have progressed. It's very rewarding. I love learning new things and new techniques.

candice1988 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candice1988 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:22am
post #5 of 8

I teach the fondant and gum paste class and I think you would learn some new things. Sometimes its much easier to learn by seeing things demonstrated than just reading from a book as well.

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:33am
post #6 of 8

OMG I HAVE TO SAY I LOOOOOVE THE FONDANT/GUMPASTE CLASS!! I am taking it this month...already in lesson 2 and it is awesome..ive had so much fun just in the 2 lessons i have had....my first fondant cake is in my pictures.the white and pink one...i actually done it last night..i have been very very pleased w/my class..i think it is all in the instructor and who is teaching it...i have a great instructor who has been there w/me from day one of course 1 and 2 and will be there for course 3...she is going to be the one teaching me everything i know about cake decorating....gotta love a great instructor

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:39am
post #7 of 8

your cakes are very good. you could do the class just because..you may learn something you dont know...classes can only help. thats my opinion. icon_smile.gif

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 8

TO remove a seam you need to get it neat in the first place and then simply rub your finger over it - the warmth from your finger will soften the fondant and make it fairly easy to 'heal' the seam. You can then take a ball of fondant, flatten one part of it by rubbing it in some icing sugar on your worksurface and then use that to smooth out your finger marks. You never completely erase a seam, but you can always cover it with a bit of design if some of it still shows.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%