They Didn't Like The Cake!!!

Decorating By berryblondeboys Updated 17 Aug 2007 , 2:03am by snarkybaker

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 56

Wah!!! A friend I made the Dora cake for just called. I finally asked her how the cake was and she said, "Honestly, not as good as the last cake you made. The frosting was the best part."... WAH>>>>

I tried the yellow cake from the Cake Bible ad JUST after I made it and sent it off I saw someone else say that they thought it was dry and crumbly. So, I asked my friend, "was it dry?" and she said, "yah". I apologized and told her I tried a new recipe because the chocolate cake SO similar to this one is fantabulous, so I just assumed. I also told her I was glad she told me, because I'll go back to using my other recipe.

You know what my other recipe is that everyone seems to really like? It's the Better Homes and Garden Yellow cake... Cake bible got two thumbs down, BHG got at least 6 thumbs up so far... go figure...

I HATE that she wasn't satisfied - glad she told me, but now I don't know if she'll ever use me again... why not get a cheaper cake then if it's not good?.... Well... at least she's had my "good" cake before, and she understands what changed... but still.. DARN!!!

Melissa

ETA: doesn't it figure it's also the cake I spent over 6 hours on - four just on the FBCT for a lousy $45. She probably felt she overpaid because wasn't as yummy, but after ingredients are taken out, I earned $30 on this cake. that's $5 an hour for my labor!!! Sigh... I know it happens, but blah...

55 replies
bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 56

I'm sorry that happened, that's why I'm so afraid to try anything new! At least she let you know & if she's a good friend, she'll be back.

berryblondeboys Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 56

I should have tried the cake recipe before sending it out. I made a spare and I just took it out of the freezer - and it is DRY.. flavorful, but dry... big air pocket bubbles inside too...

So, I emailed her and apologized. This is what I said," I am so sorry the cake was a disappointment. I should have stuck with what you loved, but I went with something new because, as I said, the chocolate cake SOOO similar is FANTASTIC (others agree)... but I just took out the frozen cake I had made the same time as I made yours. And, yep, it's dry. The flavor is good, but it's too dry.... I am sooooo sorry.

Just so you know, I will go back to the "tried and true" cake that you really liked.

As an "I'm sorry", next cake (if you ever order again) I'll reduce by $10. I won't do that all the time, but I agree... this cake is not as good as it should be and could have been if I would have used my other recipe.

Do you think that will suffice?

Melissa

bkdcakes Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 56

If I were her, I would be thrilled with that. It is a great offer to make up for a mistake.

bkdcakes Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 56

If I were her, I would be thrilled with that. It is a great offer to make up for a mistake.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 56

I was going to suggest you do something to make up for it.

Unfortunately dry cakes happen. It's not going to be remembered in 6 months but how you handled it will be.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 56

Wow! I think you handled this soo well! sorry you had to do it over a dry cake! I think she will take that as something that just "happened" and will come back to you. You are not perfect and I am sure she will see that with the gesture you just made! Good job!

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 56

what a great response, I hope you don't mind if i keep it for future use, ( just in case).

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 56

I would make her another cake for free.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 56

if you are looking for a really good yellow/vanilla cake recipe that is moist, try toba garretts moist yellow cake ...it is listed on www.epicurious.com

it is very flavorful, AND very moist, light and fluffy, but still also works well with carving and stacking.

i've learned too that its not best to experiment for a first time on a customer. practice is for myself/family. or, on occasion, trying out a new recipe, i'll make cupcakes and pass them out to a few friends whom i know will be honest if its good or not. not too costly or time consuming, and i get some feedback before i offer it to someone who is going to pay me for a cake.

though it stinks to make squat on a cake of many hours, i think i'd be happier (in the customers shoes) if you'd offer me a refund of 10 instead of 10 off the next one. i'd feel more like it made up for this oops rather than taking a chance again, even if expecting a better product next time.

did she respond? at least it was a friend, you should turn out ok.

berryblondeboys Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:04pm
post #11 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

Sorry, this I would not do or would I ever expect anyone else to do for me in return. The cake isn't awful, just a little dry. She loved the filling and decoration... I don't think it deserves a free cake.

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:06pm
post #12 of 56
Quote:

honestly ....this was my first thought too...especially since the email admits fault and the change was made by you and not at the customers request.
maybe its just me...but the " $10 off wont always do that" would turn me off.....

berryblondeboys Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:06pm
post #13 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

if you are looking for a really good yellow/vanilla cake recipe that is moist, try toba garretts moist yellow cake ...it is listed on www.epicurious.com

it is very flavorful, AND very moist, light and fluffy, but still also works well with carving and stacking.

i've learned too that its not best to experiment for a first time on a customer. practice is for myself/family. or, on occasion, trying out a new recipe, i'll make cupcakes and pass them out to a few friends whom i know will be honest if its good or not. not too costly or time consuming, and i get some feedback before i offer it to someone who is going to pay me for a cake.

though it stinks to make squat on a cake of many hours, i think i'd be happier (in the customers shoes) if you'd offer me a refund of 10 instead of 10 off the next one. i'd feel more like it made up for this oops rather than taking a chance again, even if expecting a better product next time.

did she respond? at least it was a friend, you should turn out ok.

Maybe I'll do that... say, either a $10 refund now or a $10 credit to a cake in the future. I really don't think it deserves more of a refund than that. I made homemade strawberry filling and they loved that and the design and frosting. She wasn't even going to SAY anything, but I asked... Maybe when I see her, I'll tell offer her the refund or the future discount.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:08pm
post #14 of 56

Honestly, I do not love any of the recipes I've tried out of the cake Bible. The science is great, and it is well worth the read for a few of the icing recipes, but most of the cakes I've tried from that book share that dry charcter.

diamondjacks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondjacks Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:16pm
post #15 of 56

... easy does it on customer service I think we all got a taste of BAD CS from SC. Lets make sure we go above and beyond making that customer come back free or not repeat business is better than NO business.

berryblondeboys Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:17pm
post #16 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsline7

Quote:

honestly ....this was my first thought too...especially since the email admits fault and the change was made by you and not at the customers request.
maybe its just me...but the " $10 off wont always do that" would turn me off.....

I guess I don't see how that is fair to me. She said "to be honest, the last cake was better."...I have yet to go to a restaurant that would refund an entire meal because one portion wasn't quite to my liking. I would be lucky to get more than an "I'm sorry." Maybe a gift card for a small amount for a future visit, but NEVER have I been offered a full course meal for several people free for even the HUGEST of mistakes.

I guess I feel I don't REALLY owe her anything... the cake is good... just not as good as I usually make cakes. It's more of a gesture. She asked for a yellow cake... I gave her a yellow cake... how did I change what she asked for? I just used a different recipe - people do that ALL the time. She has had three of my yellow cakes now (she was at a party where I brought a yellow cake) and each recipe was different.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:26pm
post #17 of 56

yes, berryblondboys. Its always good to try a recipe first before making it for someone else. I've had my little problems too when I did that so now I try it first on myself and then if it passes the test, I do it for others.

berryblondeboys Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:30pm
post #18 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaLovesCakes

yes, berryblondboys. Its always good to try a recipe first before making it for someone else. I've had my little problems too when I did that so now I try it first on myself and then if it passes the test, I do it for others.

Well, that is a big lesson learned. We just don't eat cake! That's the biggest problem, but I will have to do that from now on. Most of the time it's a party cake I experiment with... I was just too "sure" this would be good...lesson learned, as I said.

Melissa

melysa Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:38pm
post #19 of 56

dont feel horrible. like you said, lesson learned. i am sure that if she is your friend, you can come out ok on this because you can talk honestly and comprimise. you did a lot of work, and i am sure she recoginized that.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:41pm
post #20 of 56

ok I have avoided this for awhile now as I know there are a great deal of people who love it...but ok *deep breath* I do NOT like The Cake Bible... icon_eek.gif *ducking* There I have said it.
Every time I have tried one of her recipies it has turned out badly. I asked my mentor who has been baking for 28 years if it was something I was doing and she told me the only thing she would use that book for is a door stopper. Well actually she told me to burn it. PLEASE don't hate me CCers like I siad I know some of you swear by her. Everytime I have made her cakes they have come out dry and any time I have had a complaint about a cake it was from a recipe that was by RLB. Please understand that I am not bashing RLB it is my understanding that she is a lovely woman. However both my mentor and her assitant cringed when I mentioned the name, and proceeded to tell me that some of those she has taken classes from such as Geraldine Ransome also expressed their dislike for that book.
I have got to play devils advocate here, I can compeltely understand why the Mom didn't care for the cake, how you handle that is totally up to you.

P.S this is the last time I will voice my thoughts on RLB and her book tapedshut.gif

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:44pm
post #21 of 56

Oh my God! icon_eek.gif Does anyone else feel that way about the Cake Bible?

I just bought from Amazon, I'de hate to have wasted my money! icon_sad.gif

Should I return it?

Thanks!

berryblondeboys Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:46pm
post #22 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongemomsweatpants

ok I have avoided this for awhile now as I know there are a great deal of people who love it...but ok *deep breath* I do NOT like The Cake Bible... icon_eek.gif *ducking* There I have said it.
Every time I have tried one of her recipies it has turned out badly. I asked my mentor who has been baking for 28 years if it was something I was doing and she told me the only thing she would use that book for is a door stopper. Well actually she told me to burn it. PLEASE don't hate me CCers like I siad I know some of you swear by her. Everytime I have made her cakes they have come out dry and any time I have had a complaint about a cake it was from a recipe that was by RLB. Please understand that I am not bashing RLB it is my understanding that she is a lovely woman. However both my mentor and her assitant cringed when I mentioned the name, and proceeded to tell me that some of those she has taken classes from such as Geraldine Ransome also expressed their dislike for that book.
I have got to play devils advocate here, I can compeltely understand why the Mom didn't care for the cake, how you handle that is totally up to you.

P.S this is the last time I will voice my thoughts on RLB and her book tapedshut.gif

Well, I like honesty. I wish more people would speak up when people say, "So how is the Cake Bible". If only the lovers speak, then how do we learn the REAL thing?

I read that it could be dry and when I was working with it it seemed a bit crumby, so I made my OLD recipe for the cake the next week. Now I'm SOOOOOOO glad I did. That oen I know is liked (and I like it).

I wouldn't call this one "bad" per se, but not my style of cake. Maybe she likes her cakes on the dry side? This is also why yesterday I was aksing for good recipe books? I really don't like going to websites when people who may not cook frequently rate a recipe. I want REALLY GOOD recipes and want to KNOW they are good. I don't even want to waste a bad recipe on my family. It DOES cost financially and in my time especially.

So THANK YOU... I think I will only do the chocolate torte from there as it is really yummy. I don't need dry cakes.

melissa

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:52pm
post #23 of 56

Hey Melissa -

I don't know that you should make her another cake, but I think next time you have an order and you have a bit of extra batter or a half dozen extra cookies, I'd probably put a simple icing swirl on cupcakes or pack up some cookies and send them over. It's a gesture of goodwill, another chance to sample your goods and a positive "last bite" instead of a so-so one.

Christy

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:56pm
post #24 of 56

I think you did fine with the $10. I wouldn't give her a free cake.

IF and only if you want to make a small gesture that could have big impact, next time you're making something and have extra batter (or are just plain making cupcakes), drop one off for her with a note thanking her for saving you from sending out dry cakes and reminding her that her next order is $10 off (especially effective if it's the yummy yellow cake) - no additional apologies necessary, just thanks for the honest feedback because I truly found it helpful in keeping product quality high.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:57pm
post #25 of 56

Actually a recipie for yellow cake that I have a great deal of success with is this one:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_rate-1216-5.html

I always get rave reviews when I make this cake. I actually have 2 8" and 2 6" in the oven right now. I have also heard wonderful things about Toba Garretts recipie but have yet to try it my self. I think next time around I will.

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:57pm
post #26 of 56

I'm w/ you on this one...you made a yellow cake -albeit a different recipe, and it didn't turn out the greatest. IMO anytime a recipe is followed exactly as written (meaning your baking powder/soda isn't expired...you've used the right ingredient, and right amounts) then you know that you're not a bad baker...you just don't have a good recipe.

Quite honestly, I think you're being appropriate by offering a $10 discount off of a future cake - and instead of emailing I would mail a letter, w/ a computer printed discount "coupon". Perhaps in the letter word it in a manner that shows you're trying to do the right thing -and also trying to retain her business (don't put something like "if you ever order again").

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:59pm
post #27 of 56

Cranberry - great minds, huh? icon_wink.gif

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 8:00pm
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

I guess I don't see how that is fair to me. She said "to be honest, the last cake was better."...I have yet to go to a restaurant that would refund an entire meal because one portion wasn't quite to my liking. I would be lucky to get more than an "I'm sorry." Maybe a gift card for a small amount for a future visit, but NEVER have I been offered a full course meal for several people free for even the HUGEST of mistakes.

I guess I feel I don't REALLY owe her anything... the cake is good... just not as good as I usually make cakes. It's more of a gesture. She asked for a yellow cake... I gave her a yellow cake... how did I change what she asked for? I just used a different recipe - people do that ALL the time. She has had three of my yellow cakes now (she was at a party where I brought a yellow cake) and each recipe was different.

if this is how you felt then well should've been left alone.....she didnt ask for a refund ...you made another contact in email and offered her a discount......I gave my HONEST opinion of I felt she should get a free next cake for the mistake of giving her the product of a new recipe that wasnt tested or tasted by you....

I guess what I shouldve posted was....if you talked to her because you wanted her opinion on the taste and opinion only is what you were looking for....she gave the opinion ...you explained.....and she didnt ask for anything in return on it.....and you dont agree with giving anything back........then it shouldve ended with that conversation.

melysa Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 8:04pm
post #29 of 56

the toba garrett yellow cake that i recommended on epicurious, seriously, IS EXCELLENT. i have after a year of tons and tons of baking, narrowed down a good handful of recipes that i love, have had excellent feedback on and will use time and time again, and this, is one of them. i have made several different white, yellow and vanilla cakes this year, and this by far is the best. i've also made variations with this such as amaretto.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/109358

Ingredients
3 cups (330 g) cake flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup (8 oz or 230 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups (454 g) granulated sugar
5 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups (10 fl oz or 300 ml) buttermilk preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter and line with parchment paper two 8x2-inch (20x5-cm) pans. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

3. Cut up the butter into 1-inch pieces and place them in the large bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment or beaters. Beat for 3 minutes on MEDIUM-HIGH speed until the butter is light and creamy in color. Stop and scrape the bowl. Cream the butter for an additional 60 seconds.

4. Add the sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating 1 minute after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally. Add the eggs one at a time.

5. Reduce the mixer speed. Stir vanilla into the buttermilk. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk. Mix just until incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix for 15 seconds longer.

6. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a knife. Lift up the pan with the batter, and let it drop onto the counter top to burst any air bubbles, allowing the batter to settle.

7. Center the pans onto the lower third of the oven and let bake 45 to 50 minutes or until the cake is lightly brown on top and comes away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Note: Let the cake cool in the pan. Storage: Double wrap the cake in plastic wrap. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Yield: Two 8-inch (20-cm) cakes

From The Well-Decorated Cake, by Toba Garrett, © 2003 by Toba Garrett
-----------------------------------------------------------

the best chocolate cake i have had comes from a recipe in kate sullivans book, as well as is repeated in margaret brauns book.
-----------------------------------------------------------
One Delicious Chocolate Cake (Kate Sullivan)

2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 ½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
3 cups granulated sugar
5 eggs, room temp
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 ½ cups buttermilk, room temp
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, melted
1 ½ cups strong coffee

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour sides and bottoms of pans. Set pans aside.

In large bowl of mixer, stir together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and soda. Stir in the sugar.

In small bowl, combine the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix into the dry ingredients. Stir in the buttermilk, melted butter and coffee. Divide batter evenly among pans.

Bake at 350 for around 50 minutes. Transfer to wire cooling rack.

Easy Foolproof Ganache

18 ozs semisweet chocolate chips
1 ½ cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon liquor or flavoring (optional)

Heat cream until nearly boiling. Pour over chocolate chips, cover and let sit 10 minutes. Whisk chocolate and cream (and flavor if using) until well combined; dark, smooth and glossy.

Let sit at room temp until cooled. To thicken, beat with hand mixer for a few minutes. Also thickens over time as it sits.

Refrigerate in airtight container for up to a week. To restore to spreading or glazing consistency, heat and stir over double boiler for a few minutes until softened.

----------------------------------------------------------

carrot cake ( i crush the walnuts and omit the raisins)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Carrot-Cake-Ever/Detail.aspx and use this frosting
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-901-Whipped-Cream-Frosting.html

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 8:04pm
post #30 of 56

I like the Cake Bible. I tried a couple of recipes and the one I like so far is the Chocolate Fudge Cake. It was a melt in your mouth kind of cake. DELICIOUS!!!!

Now, there is someone here that has tried the White Velvet Butter Cake and she says that it is SO GOOD that it is the one that most brides ask her to make. I haven't tried but I hopefully will soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%