Upcoming Wedding - Questions

Decorating By chocomama Updated 16 Oct 2006 , 9:30pm by chocomama

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 7

I have a wedding cake order coming up and I have a few questions...

1. This is a 4 tier cake (12, 10, 8, 6). What is the best way to dowel? I have never made a cake this tall and was hoping I could take it to the reception in 2 pieces rather than 4. Whaddyathink?

2. Should I use a piece of wood as the base? Dh had the idea to but one of those small wooden tables that you just screw the legs into (KWIM?) and use the top as my base. Would it be strong enough?

I know I have more questions but can't remember them right now. This is a good start, tho!

6 replies
jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 7

I just made one with the same dementions. I used plastic seperator plates and wooden dowels. I put the cake on a covered 16 x 16 inch MDF board, that I had cut at Home Depot.

I delivered the cake in two sections.

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 7

i don't have a ton of expereience in this area, but i think you would be ok. to stack the 12 and 10 together then assemble the 8 and 6 at the site. i just don't know about trying to stack two layers at once if you had the 8 and 6 already put together, ya know? just make sure it's secure, and if any doubt, transport seperately. i think that base would be strong enough. i've heard of people using plywood, so that might be perfect. i just wonder if it would be cheaper to go to the home depot and get a piece cut or not.

chocomama Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 3:50am
post #4 of 7

I'm liking the idea of the plastic seperator plates and dowels. I was really worried someone would suggest a huge center dowel b/c I don't think I am confident enough to try that yet!

I thought of other questions...how far in advance should I bake? I know some people freeze their cakes but I've never tried it. That said, I wouldn't mind getting that part out of the way.

Also, this cake is going to be covered in MMF with WCBC underneath. When can I start stacking and decorating? When I get to the site, I just want to finish stacking and put on the borders.

I'd love to be able to do it all in advance like Duff on Ace of Cakes! icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 11:20am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocomama

I'm liking the idea of the plastic seperator plates and dowels. I was really worried someone would suggest a huge center dowel b/c I don't think I am confident enough to try that yet!.....When I get to the site, I just want to finish stacking and put on the borders.

that's how I do all of mine. I've never used the center dowel and I always assemble at the site. I'm fortunate in that I get home from my day job at about 3:30, so if I start baking as soon as I walk in the door, then I can bake a full wedding cake, ice it and decorate it in one night. If I can't start baking right away, I will at least bake and crumb-coat it, then ice and decorate it the next night.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 11:40am
post #6 of 7

I baked mine about 2 weeks in advance. I wrapped each layer in saran wrap at least three times, then put in a plastic grocery store sack. Each layer was on a cakeboard. Some I froze the night I baked them, then some I froze the next morning. I made sure the ones I but in the freezer were frozen and then I stacked the others on top of them. I took them out of the freezer on Thursday night and I iced them on Friday. The wedding was at 5:00 PM so I had time on Saturday to work on it.

chocomama Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 7

So, plastic plates (not cardboard) and wooden dowels are the way to go? I guess I should just assemble the whole thing on-site, right? Ugh. I hate doing things at the last minute! I wish I could take the whole thing over in one piece. Oh well, at least I don't have a long drive. I'll just have to be sure to take lots of icing for the borders so I don't run out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%