Help With Gumpaste Palm Trees !!! Today! Now !!!

Decorating By auntsushi Updated 16 Oct 2006 , 12:23am by bellejoey

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone -
I am making a beach cake today .....(see below link) -

http://cakecentral.com/cake-photo-61349.html

The member who made this here on CC did such a beautiful job on this cake and I hope she doesn't mind me showing off the picture of the beach cake she made !! She has been so helpful to me but I can't find her today to ask a question !!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_sad.gif Mine is for a bridal shower later this afternoon. OUCH !!! icon_cry.gif

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW, ON THE PALM TREES, TO KEEP THE LEAVES STANDING UP, INSTEAD OF FLOPPING DOWN??? I've tried everything I can think of (letting them dry a long time, more gumpaste and less fondant, etc ). I don't want floppy palm trees !!!!

Any help would be appreciated. Next time I won't wait so long to make these things !!! I promise.

Thanks so much....Suzanne

9 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 10

I'm no expert, but here's a bump and a suggestion. I would imagine that the palm fronds need to be dry. Since there is no time for that, is there some way you can use green floral wires to support them and let them dry until the last minute (not that now isn't the last minute icon_lol.gif )? Good luck - I'm sure it will turn out well.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 10

Prop the leaves or anything else you want lifted with a cotton ball or kleenex until it has harden for a few hours.

esskaym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esskaym Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 10

I'm not sure if this will work but how about putting the leaves in the oven....on low of course. Maybe that will dry them out quickly.

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 10

BUMP...

Thanks all of you for your suggestions. Still workin on it. We'll see what happens. If I absolutely have to, I will stick the fake plastic palm trees that I have on the cake icon_cry.gif .....at least I have a backup plan....but I REALLY want to use the ones I made.

I'll post a pic when I'm done.....

any other help would be appreciated......still.

Thanks

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 10

Looks like the "fronds" may have been made each individually and then the tree put together after they were hardened. Only other idea that came to my head would be to lay them down upside down with cotton balls or tissue underneath to keep them separate. Janice

dollyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dollyo Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 10:11pm
post #7 of 10

this is a goofy question and has nothing to do with cakes, but why do you type "bump" on your relpy?

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 10

These things have to dry..sometimes for a few days so they can harden properly.

I don't think you are going to have enough time for them to air dry.

You can try the oven idea..prop them on something...papertowel..something to keep the shape you want.

You have to make things like this ahead of time.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 12:09am
post #9 of 10

Dollyo - replying to someone's topic will "bump" it back up to the top listing of that forum so that more members will be likely to see the question and offer help.

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 12:23am
post #10 of 10

Dollyo, I was just going to ask the same question!!!
Thank you "ibmoser"!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%