Do You Think This Is Too Much?? Help!

Decorating By mariamom Updated 15 Oct 2006 , 7:43pm by jmt1714

mariamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariamom Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 15

Hello All,
I made this cake today for a baby shower. She is picking it up in an hour 12:00 cst. She wanted 50 cupcakes (I needed to have 53 for an even look),and I made a FBCT for the top. I was thinking about charging $1.00 a cupcake. Then I found out that my friend just got cupcakes for .66 a piece. Am I charging too much? I will try to add an attachment.
LL

14 replies
jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 15

I don't think it is too much to charge. That is a great cake.

mariamom Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 15

thanks, I tried the price matrix, I just can't get the hourly total to work.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 15

Alot of work there. I would charge the $50. since that( 50 cupcakes) is what they wanted. Where did your friend get the cheaper cupcakes? were they homemade? Did you not discuss price when you took the order?
You did a great job on it by the way. It is really cute, I'm sure they will love it and be happy to pay the $50.

mariamom Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 15

Well, it's for a friend and I had 3 cakes due on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. This is after starting a new job this week. So I didn't tell her a price, just that I wasn't sure what it would be right off hand. I had to look into my computer to see my last cupcake invoice. I did charge more last time, just by 17 cents each. Don't ask why, I can't remember icon_smile.gif But my friend got hers at a local grocery, but they were adorable with handmade witches and bats on them and they were pretty good! Then I checked out a new bakery in town (just a small professional bakery) and she was only charging 50 cents per cupcake when she frosted them indivudally and added a rose on top. I do think she is WAY undercharging as her cakes are beautiful. OH I HATE FINDING A PRICE! Thanks for the input!

morphis1208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morphis1208 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 15

As a fellow decorator $50 is a great price, but as a consumer it does seem like a lot of money after all they're only cupcakes right??? Only they don't know how much time and effort that goes into making them. Wish I could be more help than that. Anyhow your cake is awesome and she shouldn't have a problem with your price.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 15

i think that 1 buck a cup cake is definately ok. Look at the time you had to put into it. go ahead with the dollar per cc.

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 15

I'm with you on the pricing thing....I hate it! I tend to think more of what the customer wants to pay instead of my time.....definately not the right thing to do but some people just don't want to pay a lot. Sometimes I wish they could see how much work goes into a cake, then they would completely understand!

I think $50.00 is a fair price JMO though!

Tammy

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 15

Pricing is a pain! But for $1 a serving, where else are you going to get a customized dessert for that price? $50 for what you did is very reasonable.

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 6:32pm
post #10 of 15

Stop comparing yourselves to grocery stores!!! If they wanted grocery store cupcakes, they'd go there!! It's like Donna Karen apologizing for costing more than Target! Sorry, you just need to give yourself more credit! As the wonderful Erlene says, they will only value you as much as you value yourself (loose quote).

greenhorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenhorn Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 6:37pm
post #11 of 15

What you created is definitely worth more than $.66 a cupcake. I think $50 is a very fair price.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 6:42pm
post #12 of 15

I just did my first cupcake cake this weekend for $50. There were 48 cc's, so just under a buck a piece. They never even blinked an eye! It was airbrushed and the design loosely followed that of Thomas...I'll post it to my gallery later today. So, I personally think you are right on track!

You are worth every red cent you are charging for this because it is just too stinkin' adorable and there is no way they can get this at any of those "chain" places!!!

-Michelle

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 6:49pm
post #13 of 15

Don't forget this is dessert for 50 people! And, it's not just cupcakes; it's a cupcake cake. $1 per serving is very fair, I think, for this pretty cake.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

mariamom Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 7:24pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks so much all! She picked up the cake and loved it. She didn't even blink an eye at the price! I am also a nail tech by trade and when I worked in a nice salon, it was the same way. The prices really weren't high, but compared to the cheap shops, it was hard to swallow. But after a few years, I stopped trying to compare that, just my quality work, personal service etc. now if I could just do that with my cakes..... icon_wink.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 7:43pm
post #15 of 15

the bigger question to me is how is it you haven't agreed on a price with the customer, yet you already did all the work and she's picking it up in an hour?

You shouldn't (in my opinion) even buy the ingredients before agreeing on a price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%