Has Anyone Had Success With...

Decorating By aliekitn99 Updated 15 Oct 2006 , 7:45pm by Missyleigh

aliekitn99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliekitn99 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 12

getting the cake dividing wheel perfectly flat? I have tried soaking in hot water and a blow dryer blowing hot air on it but can not get it flat. icon_cry.gif I am in the course 3 and my instructor said it must be perfectly flat. Please advise, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
aliekitn99

11 replies
Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 12

Iron it between 2 pieces of cloth (low heat).

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 12

I graduated course III 6 months ago and still haven't gotten my wheel flat. When using it for fondant what really matters is no creases, which makes you wonder why the heck did they fold it and stuff it in a box. I finally used my heating gun from my stamping stuff to get it good and hot after ironing didn't seem to work. Don't know if this helps but I thought knowing you aren't the only one out there might be comforting, icon_biggrin.gif

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 12

I sat mine in a sink of hot water. Then I roll it up and keep it in a paper towel holder. I am going totry to make this part make sense, when you roll it up, you have the bottom side up, then roll it up. That way when you you need the matt the edges aren't curiling up on you.

Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 12

Spray water on the table where you will be working and the mat will form a suction to the table and this will help flatten out the mat...

aliekitn99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliekitn99 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks everyone.

Rambo, that was my thought too...why did they fold and crease it knowing full well that they need to be crease free. Why don't they roll them up instead of folding?

I did purchase some clear plastic to use at home but for class, I don't feel comfortable bringing in alternative items. (don't want to upset my instructor as she is WONDERFUL)

I will try my heat gun.

aliekitn99

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliekitn99

getting the cake dividing wheel perfectly flat? I have tried soaking in hot water and a blow dryer blowing hot air on it but can not get it flat. icon_cry.gif I am in the course 3 and my instructor said it must be perfectly flat. Please advise, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
aliekitn99

Many years ago I laid a pillow case over my mat and ironed it out on both sides and then rolled it around a wrapping paper tube...mind you I tried everything to flatten mine out as well...this was the only thing I found that worked for me...it took a while to get all the crease out but with patience I finally achieved it..be careful not to get the iron too hot and to keep it moving, check underneath and move the pillow case around often.

HTH, Mary birthday.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 12

I never did get the creases out of mine, either. I ironed it, soaked it in hot water, used the hair dryer - those dratted creases still come through on fondant or gumpaste. I finally bought the larger square one with the grid marks and store it rolled up in the original long box. I do have the round one rolled and stored in a gift wrap tube, but those creases are still very much there icon_cry.gif . I also bought 2 yards of clear plastic at Wal-Mart, cut it into two 36x36" squares and keep it wrapped around a large fabric tube.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 12

Not exactly the topic...but went to Hobby Lobby to get me a mat...to show exactly where to put swags on evenly...the only one I could find was in a Wilton Course three kit!!! Had to buy the whole darn thing for a 2.00 mat!!! Anyways I couldn't believe how wrinkled it was. Husband cut two pieces of thick see through plastic and sandwiched it in (flexible almost like silicone). It's see through and works perfectly! I just stick it in my hoosier cabinet!

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 7:35pm
post #10 of 12

I soak in HOT water and roll the other way or lay flat with books on it. Let is get cool. The main thing to do is get the plastic hot so it can conform to the new shape. Once it cools it should stay in that position better.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 7:40pm
post #11 of 12

I held mine over a pot of boiling water and the steam took the creases out. Just keep turning it and don't burn your fingers. It's a real pain in the b**.

Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 7:45pm
post #12 of 12

you can also set it out in the sun

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%