Extracts

Decorating By AnythingSugar Updated 16 Aug 2007 , 2:20pm by AnythingSugar

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:49am
post #1 of 4

I went to a natural foods store in search of extracts. I was told that the Nielsen-Massey orange and lemon extracts were natural and the label says "pure orange extract." I know this brand is supposed to be good.

Okay I didn't have my glasses with me ........but when I got home, I read the label and these extracts are 90% alcohol. I don't have any problems with alcohol (I use Everclear for luster dust) but I just thought I was getting "natural and pure" extracts. I don't use many citrus extracts but are they all this high in alcohol?

3 replies
FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 8:00am
post #2 of 4

All extracts contain high amounts of alcohol. I wouldn't worry, sometimes pure and naturally is subjective. The alcohol is natural ,and there is no water, perservatives, or extra things you don't want in there then i would consider it pure and natural. I've found alot of cheaper extracts have preservatives or cheap artificial flavorings added. icon_smile.gif

Here's a baking 911 page that explains each different type of flavoring and what it is.

http://www.baking911.com/pantry/flavorings.htm

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 4

I'm not sure if this would work for you but check out Capella's flavor drops. Several people here have used them and so far we have all been happy with the results. If you do a search on the forums for Capella you'll get much more detail about using them and what people liked. Good luck, Gail

http://www.capellacoffee.com/flavordrops/what_are_flavor_drops.html

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for the replies and the links. I am going to look at both. I guess I am just a vanilla, chocolate and creme bouquet baker.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%