Coffee Cups

Decorating By doleta Updated 16 Oct 2006 , 12:25pm by Dustbunny

doleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doleta Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 12:00pm
post #1 of 12

I saw a cute cake on the internet last night.
It was a cake baked right in a real coffee cup. I want to give these out in the office for Christmas.
It said to use oven proof coffee cups.
How do you know if a coffee cup is oven proof?
Also.....
At my daughter's last night I noticed the inside of her glass coffee mugs were shaped exactly like those cute, domed cupcakes made in the Dorian pans.
I want to try them for cup cakes. The pans apparently don't exist in the US. icon_sad.gif
Whaddya think? icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks, Doleta

11 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 12:08pm
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by doleta

I saw a cute cake on the internet last night.
It was a cake baked right in a real coffee cup. I want to give these out in the office for Christmas.
It said to use oven proof coffee cups.
How do you know if a coffee cup is oven proof?
Also.....
At my daughter's last night I noticed the inside of her glass coffee mugs were shaped exactly like those cute, domed cupcakes made in the Dorian pans.
I want to try them for cup cakes. The pans apparently don't exist in the US. icon_sad.gif
Whaddya think? icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks, Doleta

Doleta
Last year for mother's day I did a cake in the shape of a teacup. The cakes the instructor baked was done in the wilton mini wonder mold. She provided them to the students that pre booked well in advance. Because i was late in booking, it was recommended that i bake my own in a normal tea cup. We got some Maxell Williams cups, and they were a perfect match for what the teacher used. Im not sure what size the ones you're doing are. But the mini wonder molds are great and you can make 4 at a time.
Here is the cake i did in the workshop.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-14003.html
hope that helps
Nati

doleta Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 12

That is really adorable and looks so real. icon_smile.gif
But, the coffee cup cake I saw was a real coffee cup that had the cake baked and left in the coffee cup.
So you give it with a spoon and they eat the cake out of the mug and then they have a mug to keep.
The recipe said use an oven proof coffee cup.
How do you know if it is oven proof?
Or maybe all coffee cups are because they hold hot drinks?

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by doleta

That is really adorable and looks so real. icon_smile.gif
But, the coffee cup cake I saw was a real coffee cup that had the cake baked and left in the coffee cup.
So you give it with a spoon and they eat the cake out of the mug and then they have a mug to keep.
The recipe said use an oven proof coffee cup.
How do you know if it is oven proof?
Or maybe all coffee cups are because they hold hot drinks?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, i get it now, sorry in la la land here : )
Hm, im not too sure how you know if they're oven safe. I had assumed that all cups are, except the really fine china ones with gold paintings and stuff.
Maybe they can tell you at the store?? You could always just buy one and try it, if it survives the baking, then it's oven safe, hahahahahaha
sorry, not much help here ; )
i would just try it myself icon_smile.gif
Nati

doleta Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 12

I think I will. I'll make sure to have a pan underneath.
I hope it will work. I just love those cupcakes made in the Darolie pans. Hope it works!

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 12

I love that idea about the coffee cups....where did you see it and how did they look (ie how were the tops decorated)..........I would think that probably most coffee cups are oven safe??

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 12

What a great idea.

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 12

I guess she's right, teh best way is to trial and error lol, just not with the fine china icon_biggrin.gif
I did a surf on that because I had seen a gift idea where you can personalize mugs and you personalize the message with a special pen and then bake for half an hour - here's the link... it might lead to the manufacturer- http://www.collectiblestoday.com/ct/product/prdid-1601803001.jsp sorry I didnt follow or look around the site for more info myself, they probably could tell you which kinds are bakeable. Good luck!
(And I'm also curious how you're going to decorate them on top and wrap them )

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 12

The Fiesta dinnerware by Homer Laughlin is ovenproof, microwave safe, and freezer safe. It is readily available in most department stores in a bunch of solid colors, and in variious sizes and shapes. They have regular and large cups and saucers and mug style, too. It is very casual but would certainly endure the baking process. Sounds like a cute idea. Nati's teacup is stunning, though. I wanna be Nati when I grow up....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 9:17pm
post #10 of 12

I found some "heavy duty" coffee mugs at FLower Factory (Ohio/Indiana area). I put enough batter in the cup so that when the cake is baked, it comes up to about 2/3 of the cup. The cups are about 4-5 inches deep. Then I plop a big 'ole bunch of Smucker's hot fudge sauce on the cake, then top that with merigue. Bake until the merigue is browned. I always make this as a dessert when we have guests for dinner and I warn them, "You wont' be able to eat the whole thing!" It's really rich and really good .... and really easy!

For gifts, we wrap them in the cellophane bags and include 2 spoons and a piroette (sp?) cookie. Don't put the cookie in the cake though ,,,, it will get soggy and ruin the effect. 2 spoons tho ..... they are big enough to be shared!

Choc cake with choc fudge ..... white cake with choc fudge ...... goodness, I'm gaining weight just thinking about 'em! icon_lol.gif

doleta Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 12:15pm
post #11 of 12

Oh, I was so excited to see these posts when I got back.
I do this at work.
icon_rolleyes.gif (whispering) It's OK. I'm allowed to. icon_razz.gif
Lucky ME!
I don't know the site I saw the coffee cup idea on.
But the top was decorated with white and chocolate mini chips.
I think I'll add a dollop of white BC with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
The Fiesta ware is so pretty!
Probably would get cheap cups for the office though....Ooops...did I say that out loud? tapedshut.gif (shhhhhh!)

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 12:25pm
post #12 of 12

What a cute gift idea, I need to try tis too icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%