Several Question Before Doing My Fondant!

Decorating By patticakesnc Updated 15 Oct 2006 , 9:10am by denise4

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 7:33am
post #1 of 5

Ok I am working on my first sculptured cake. It is a lightbulb. I saw a few really good ideas on here and am working on it now.

So far I have made my cakes and carved them out. Never done a carves cake so this was all new to me and a BIG MESS!

This cake is chocolate with chocolate frosting. It is setting up now.

My questions are:

Any tips on putting fondant on without getting this chocolate all over it?

How do you get the end silver? I have heard of the colored dusts but never used them.

Should I roll the fondant? I have heard of people pouring fondant but I don't know how you do this and if you can do it over icing.

Any and all help is so apprecaited. This cake is for Boss's day (week). My mother is giving it to my Uncle who is her boss and owns a lighting company so getting it right is so important to me.

4 replies
mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 7:47am
post #2 of 5

Try setting the cake in the freezer or refridgerator first for the frosting to stiffen up nice. Then roll the fondant over it. I just did that with a cake the other night, and it worked really well. Didn't get my fondant dirty or mess up my icing that was underneath icon_smile.gif

I have used grey fondant painted with superpearl dust in place of silver dust. I think it turned out well (my Tiffany ring box cake).

I've never worked with poured fondant. I'm sure someone else will post about that icon_wink.gif

Good luck and post a pic icon_smile.gif

Mirjana

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 7:53am
post #3 of 5

I am not to experienced at fondant. Only course 3 classes. But I can help alittle I think. I would think that choc frosting would bleed through the fondant . Maybe it would make the light bulb off white color. And when you are drapping it you might get the choc. all over. I am guessing here. as for rolling the fondant up our teacher told us we shouldn't do that. Just lift it over and position it. I don't know about putting it on sculptered cakes. Only our class cakes. I have never poured fondant but believe it is totally different type of fondant. Not the kind you buy. Like I said I am also new to fondant pretty much. I think there are recipes on the site for the pour fondant. The dusts I haven't worked with much. So I hope I helped alittle at least icon_smile.gif

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 9:07am
post #4 of 5

I've made many chocolate cakes with chocolate frosting on then covered with fondant, but always put my frosted cake in fridge to crust over for about 30mins the cover with fondant, I've never had a problem with frosting bleeding through but I make sure I dont roll fondant too thin.... hope this helps

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 9:10am
post #5 of 5

that should read "put frosted cake in fridge 30 mins THEN put fondant on" sorry forgot to put the N in then on first reply LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%