Is There A "secret" To Making Good Sugar Cookies

Baking By paxpuella Updated 16 Oct 2006 , 6:30pm by southaustingirl

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 3:44am
post #1 of 10

I really love those sugar cookies that are big, soft and thick. I have recipes from people that have made them and mine still don't turn out as good. Do any of you cookie professionals have any advice for me?

If you are familiar with the Lofthouse cookies that grocery stores sell in the plastic containers for about $3, those are the kind I would like to make. I have this recipe that tastes ok, but I can't get it soft like those. Here is the recipe I got from someone else:

(Like) Lofthouse Cookies:
1 cup butter
2 cups granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups sour cream
5-6 cups flour (until desired consistency for rolling)

Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and sour cream. Mix in dry ingredients. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Roll out dough to a 3/8 to 1 inch thickness using a generous amount of flour. Cut out shapes and bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 6 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Frost and decorate as desired.

Frosting:
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup shortening
5 tablespoons milk
food coloring (optional)

In a large bowl, cream together the confectioners' sugar and shortening until smooth. Gradually mix in the milk and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth and stiff, about 5 minutes. Color with food coloring if desired.
can also change the flavoring using other flavors

I tried making them a little thicker and also cooking a little less, but they still didn't turn out "just" right.

9 replies
kris2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kris2005 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 3:50am
post #2 of 10

I would love some good tips on doing soft moist sugar cookies....

Suzie757 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzie757 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 10

Hi ya'll !! It took me awhile to find the perfect recipe but I did when I made these.
SOFT SUGAR COOKIES

3/4 CUP BUTTER, SOFTENED
1 CUP SUGAR
1 EGG
1 tsp. VANILLA
1/4 tsp. LEMON EXTRACT
1/2 CUP HEAVY CREAM
2 3/4 CUPS FLOUR
1/2 tsp. BAKING SODA
1/4 tsp. SALT
CREAM BUTTER AND SUGAR. ADD EGG, VANILLA,LEMON, AND CREAM. STIR IN FLOUR,SODA, AND SALT. CHILL FOR AT LEAST 1 HOUR. ROLL TO DESIRED THICKNESS ( I USUALLY GO 1/2 INCH THICK). CUT AND BAKE AT 350 DEGREES FOR 10-12 MINUTES JUST UNTIL A SLIGHT BROWN AROUND EDGES.

I ALSO USE POWDERED SUGAR TO DUST ON MY PARCHMENT PAPER WHEN ROLLING THEM OUT INSTEAD OF FLOUR.
HOPE THIS HELPS YA' OUT icon_smile.gif [/u][/code]

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 1:08am
post #4 of 10

So would this recipe work only for a round shape, not a cutter with details??? Thanks!

Suzie757 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzie757 Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 11:25am
post #5 of 10

Sugarspice,
I would say give it a try. When I have used it my cutters have been simple shapes and things. I haven't used ones with many details. It worked great with my Halloween ones.(pumpkin,ghost,cat,haunted house)

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you so much for the recipe. I will definitely give it a try !!! I guess it just takes a lot of baking and a lot of patience to finally get it right. icon_smile.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 10

Suzie757, that looks like a great recipe. I usually make mine thin and crisp, but it wouldn't hurt for me to try something new.

Michele

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 10

I am certainly gonig to give this one a try. I have been using the no fail recipe but just find it way too crumbly. I see you have heavy cream in yrs so this will probably make the difference and make them easier to roll out. Tks a bunch. Ive alrady copied and pasted it into my recipe file lol

Botanesis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Botanesis Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 10

I have the perfect recipe. These are the cookies my mom used to make us. They are soft, just like lofthouse. The secret is NOT to overbake them..and to roll them thick enough. We use this recipe every holiday season to cut out all different shapes and decorate them. You can decorate them with fondant, royal icing, piped buttercream, colorflow....you'll love them!

Sugar Cookies
3/4 cup butter or margarine (butter gives you a crisper cookie)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cup flour (plus more to roll out)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Mix the first four ingrediants, then blend in the remaining ingrediants. Roll 1/2" thick and cut into desired shapes. Bake at 400 degrees for 6 - 8 minutes.

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 10

The recipe I use has butter and shortening. I cream the butter and shortening (use real sweet butter or butter flavored Crisco) until really smooth, then add the sugar . I also double the amount of vanilla and add almond extract.

People seem to like them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%