Is There A Secret...

Decorating By midgit1205 Updated 15 Oct 2006 , 5:44pm by midgit1205

midgit1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midgit1205 Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 11

to frosting the petal shaped pans??? Everytime I try and might as well have baked a round one icon_cry.gif I completely lose the petal shape. Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated. Just tried to do it again and that #%@!! cake looks terrible!!! tapedshut.gif

10 replies
agagnier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agagnier Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 11

I just wanted to say I'd like to know too. The samething happens to me too. I thought It was just because my fist time using the pan I used whipped frosting.

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 11

bumpity bump!

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 11

I was just watching bake decorate and celebrate and they melted buttercream icing and poured it on. Didn't know you could do that wouldn't hurt to try it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesondemand

I was just watching bake decorate and celebrate and they melted buttercream icing and poured it on. Didn't know you could do that wouldn't hurt to try it.

Sounds interesting.

Can you explain how they melted the buttercream, and how much was used. Did the frosting look like fondant, then?

I might just try that to see how melted/cooled buttercream tastes... icon_twisted.gif

I wonder what type of b/c they used?

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 11

The icer tip helps a lot! Then you only have to smooth it but the points where the petals meet are neat and that's most of the battle.

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 11

They used the wilton bc all that was done is to put some in a glass measuring cup and melted it to a pouring consistancy put a cooling rack over a cookie sheet pan covered with parchment and poured the icing on the cake let it dry then pour again for a final coating. Should work with any BC recipe.

morg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morg Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 5:01am
post #8 of 11

I just delivered a 15" torted petal cake this morning. I make my BC without thinning it to do petals, and then I Viva it *without* using the plastic. (Your hand under the Viva..vs...a piece of pop bottle...whats the difference? I never have gotten that) Anyhoo, I get a great shape this way.

Ermmm, just thinking: you have nice, stiff petals, right? The only time I ever had a problem with the petal pan was being a goof and using the sour cream yellow cake recipe I found on CC. Too tender a cake makes cruddy petals.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 5:26am
post #9 of 11

When I did the petal pan, I had to use my hand to smooth the icing, that way I could feel the indentions. It was hard. Not something I look forward to doing again.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 5:33am
post #10 of 11

Thanks cakesondemand,

The next time I make b/c I'll try melting and pouring it!

midgit1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midgit1205 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 5:44pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by morg

Ermmm, just thinking: you have nice, stiff petals, right? The only time I ever had a problem with the petal pan was being a goof and using the sour cream yellow cake recipe I found on CC. Too tender a cake makes cruddy petals.

Yep, I have nice firm petals, no crumbles, but I'll be darned if I can keep that petal shape. Thanks for the input. I'm going to have to try these suggestions!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%