Baking Question!

Decorating By beccakelly Updated 16 Aug 2007 , 8:46am by KoryAK

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 10

okay, so heres the story. im renting a bread bakery to run my cake business. the bread bakes on the oven floor, but obviously my cakes can't, i need air circulation. so i've been bringing my personal oven racks from home to set in the bread oven to elevate my cakes. i've been stacking both racks to create more space between the floor of the oven and the cake pans. i can only do 4 cakes at a time like this though, so here's my question:

how much space for air circulation is required under the cakes for proper baking? with both racks doubled i get just under an inch. with just one rack i only get 1/2 inch. is a half inch enough? i want to be able to bake lots of cakes at once, and so to use both racks individually instead of doubled would help. i would like some opinions on if this would work before lugging my stuff out there and testing it only to find out it doesn't work.

any thoughts?

9 replies
monkee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkee73 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 10

Would love to hear some info on this.....

Here's a bump....

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 10

Is the bread oven a convection oven ?

cheferyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheferyn Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 10

I learned in pastry school that you really want about 3 to 4 inches between the cake and the heating element/bottom. I don't have a solution to your problem though. sorry. I hope this helps.

beccakelly Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMAY

Is the bread oven a convection oven ?

its not convection.

i guess i'll keep doubling my racks. im gonna go to sears and order some more oven racks so that i can do more cakes and keep them elevated. i'll try to get it closer to 2-3 inches if i can.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 10

In cakes class in school we had a pizza/bread oven only to use. Most of the time the bottom was just lined with upside down sheet pans. Gives an air cushion. Try that.

beccakelly Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

In cakes class in school we had a pizza/bread oven only to use. Most of the time the bottom was just lined with upside down sheet pans. Gives an air cushion. Try that.

that works just as well? definitely worth a try! i'll do that before i go buy more oven racks.

beccakelly Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 10

just thought of a stupid question for you koryak:

were the sheet pans flipped upside down? or were they right side up, and the cake you were baking had to be a larger diameter to sit on it? just wondering which direction would create better air flow....

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 10

i'm not positive if these are oven-safe, and if so to what temperature, but they would give you 3" or space per rack.
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=4CD572DB-802D-F658-00FB75AA1C7D8437&fid=4CD572FA-802D-F658-08CB259074C710C6

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 8:46am
post #10 of 10

upside down pans

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%