Tips To Spruce Up A Box Lemon Cake?

Baking By Crystalm Updated 24 Oct 2006 , 1:36am by rreed6263

Crystalm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystalm Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 1:48am
post #1 of 13

Hey girls! I am sitting at home bored to tears here tonight! I looked in the pantry and saw a box of lemon cake mix hiding back there and now I feel like making it! Any of you ladies have a creative idea on how I can make this more fun? Maybe a great icing idea, or add some pudding in or something? What do you think? Thanks for humoring me and keeping me occupied icon_razz.gif

12 replies
phrodod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phrodod Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 3:49am
post #2 of 13

My wife (RedPanda) suggests dried cranberries or dried blueberries (finely chopped -- they stay suspended well that way), lemon pudding mix and an extra egg in the mix. Then fill it with lemon curd, and frost it with lemon buttercream or cream cheese frosting.

She'd type this herself, except that she's busy baking a 1/2 sheet cake (1/2 vanilla, 1/2 chocolate) for a party tomorrow.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 3:55am
post #3 of 13

What about a lemon meringue theme? meringue in the middle (baked might be a fun light crunch as a filling?).

mxpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxpark Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 3:56am
post #4 of 13

a lemon pudding mix added with an extra egg and you could replace the water with lemonade. that sounds yummy. and you can garnish it with crushed lemon drops.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 3:59am
post #5 of 13

*mouth watering*

hockeygirl658 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeygirl658 Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 4:05am
post #6 of 13

I made this for the first time two summers ago for a picnic and I have been asked to make it several times since. So yummy and SOOOOO easy!

Lemonade Party Cake
http://www.bettycrocker.com/Recipes/Recipe.aspx?recipeId=36276

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 4:06am
post #7 of 13

Some grated lemon peel, and about 3 tablespoons of lemon juice will do the trick thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 4:34am
post #8 of 13

I generally do the doctored mixes with the pudding and extra egg. As was suggested you can use a little lemon juice replacing some of the water and some lemon rind in it.

You could also throw in a tablespoon or two of poppy seeds and have a lemon poppy seed cake.

I love raspberry presevers or blueberry preserves for filling with lemon cake. Mmm!

You can also use a little lemon juice or extract in your buttercream to kick up the lemon taste. icon_smile.gif

Ishi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishi Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 13

Oh man! I was just wondering the same thing! I think I'll try it with the poppyseeds, lemon buttercream and rasberry filling! I'll let you know how it turns out!

*alicia*

Ishi Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 6:33am
post #10 of 13

This was too-die-for yummy. You'd never, ever know that it came from a mix. I used a lemon cake mix and substituted about 3 T. of the water for lemon juice and added about 1/4 c. poppyseeds. Other than that, I followed the directions on the box. Then, I added lemon extract to Pastry Pride (decided the buttercream would be too heavy) and filled the cake with the Pastry Pride and raspberry jam. I set aside some of the Pastry Pride for some simple decorations and then colored the rest yellow to ice the rest of the cake with. I gave the cake to a neighbor but I did get my hands on some cake scraps and a little extra jam and icing. It was brilliant! Thanks for the idea. Any clue on how to get Pastry Pride really smooth. I can never get it smooth enough!

rreed6263 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rreed6263 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 6:41am
post #11 of 13

O.K. maybe other people know, but I don't....
What is Pastry Pride???

Ishi Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 13

Pastry Pride is a Non-Dairy Ready to Whip Topping that comes frozen in quart sized cartons. I buy mine at a specialty cake store close by but I think you can buy it a Baskin Robbins, too. All you do is whip it and then frost. My family just loves the texture! It's light and airy, the polar opposite to BC.

rreed6263 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rreed6263 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:36am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishi

Pastry Pride is a Non-Dairy Ready to Whip Topping that comes frozen in quart sized cartons. I buy mine at a specialty cake store close by but I think you can buy it a Baskin Robbins, too. All you do is whip it and then frost. My family just loves the texture! It's light and airy, the polar opposite to BC.

Thanks Ishi!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%