Please Tell Me This Happens To Everyone.....

Business By seven Updated 21 Nov 2006 , 5:09pm by sundaybegonia

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 11:50pm
post #31 of 47

This is why when we were picking out a name for DD that we chose a name that had ONE spelling!!! (and some people still can't figure out how to spell Amanda!)

It happens to everyone at some point or another...

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 11:56pm
post #32 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by vww104

A good friend of mine ordered a cake from a bakery (this was about 10 years ago and no one was into cake decorating back then) anyway the cake was for her godson "Eric". She ordered the cake with Eric's older brother's name on it! So Eric's birthday cake said, "happy birthday Raymond!". Luckily Raymond and Eric's mother has a great sense of humor and Eric was too young to know or care, and we still laugh about it today.

When dh and I were running through our wedding rehearsal, his grandfather (a retired minister) was doing great with the ceremony we had come up with, until he got the the vows. Instead of our names, he said the names of my dh's older brother and his wife.

At least it happened at the rehearsal, not the real thing!

RP

ErinOBrien Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ErinOBrien Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 12:03am
post #33 of 47

I recently had to order a cake when my boss was transfered on short notice. I called and ordered the cake with "Congratulations Matt" on it, the lady said Matt, M-A-T-T. I said yupp, M-A-T-T. Well the more I though about I though that Good luck would be better, so I called again. Said I think that "Good Luck Matt" would be better. She said ok, Good luck MAtt, M-A-T -T. Yup! (Matt isn't that hard!) Well my husband picked up the cake and brought it to work, "Good luck Mike!"

At least he got a good laugh! Told him we forgot his name already. icon_lol.gif

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 12:06am
post #34 of 47

I've been lucky enough not to do it on a cake for an order. I don't do too many orders. But, when I was taking the wilton classes I kept screwing up birthday. My name is Kirsten so I'm so intrenched in writing "irs" that in stead of birthday I would start writing Birst - LOL. Seriously I did it like three times in a row even though I was trying not to.

I did have a customer that wasn't sure how to spell the birthday boys name! She said it's either Seena or Sina, but I'm pretty sure it's Sina. I said, please call the mom and call me back! She acted like it wasn't important if I got the name right.

I tried to pick easy names for my kids because they will always have to spell their last name. I used to be Kirsten Johnson, so at least I only had to spell my first name, now I have to spell both!

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 3:25pm
post #35 of 47

My grandson's christening cake (from a bakery) came out God Bless Bylan (instead of Dylan). Of course, dh picked it up and didn't check. I wasn't decorating then but it was an easy fix - for dh!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 3:30pm
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

Thats okay, once i had a bithday, instead of birthday.

I know I'm not the best speller but for some reason I have a mental block when it comes to spelling BIRTHDAY too!!

I have to PIPE It out on the table or piece of parchment paper to make sure I write it right ...lol

Darn it!! icon_redface.gif

and I once wrote : CONGRATULATIOS on an engagement cake...lol no one noticed, except for me when I got the pictures that I took back!!!

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 3:39pm
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfin

You are not an idiot, (at least it wasn't on national television like that poor lady who put the head on backwards on the birthday cake competition and she was a pro.)

LOL!!! I saw that and it was FUNNY!!!

Lazy_Susan

nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 3:56pm
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Susan

Quote:

You are not an idiot, (at least it wasn't on national television like that poor lady who put the head on backwards on the birthday cake competition and she was a pro.)

LOL!!! I saw that and it was FUNNY!!!

Lazy_Susan

Man I felt so bad for that lady... but looking at it even if the head was on right it was a pretty odd cake. Kudos to her for even having the guts to go do that though....

SweetTraditions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTraditions Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 9:27am
post #39 of 47

I ALWAYS do it with Hannah. For some reason my brain doesn't accept the 'h' on the end and I always spell it Hanna.....easy enough to fix though!

Jenn1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn1978 Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 9:42am
post #40 of 47

OMG I goofed on a Marine Corps cake I was doing. they wanted 2 sheet cakes that were to be identical. (The one I didn't goof on is in my pics) There were a few different quotes on the cake, one of them being "advance course" well somehow I spelled it "Advane Course" I looked this cake over and over again making sure I had everything right. The next day I was loading the pics on the computer and then it jumped out at me! I was so upset I wanted to cry. not like I could fix it, it was already gone. A few days later the girl that asked me to do them mentioned it and I told her how sorry I was and she said that they got a kick out of it and thought it was done on purpose becasue they had just gotten done with something that had to do with finding errors! So they thought it was just another test for them! icon_wink.gif yeh that's what it was, it was a test! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 10:13am
post #41 of 47

Ok I don't feel so bad. My weeks from H**l I made my nieces B-Day cake. I had a moment when rushed and second guessed how to spell abby. I put a e in it. In my photos it has the boo boo. I was going to call and double check and didn't. At least I could change it when she picked it up. And I was proud of myself on graduation cake. My niece that graduated. Said you spelled congratulations wrong. I said NO I DID NOT. look it up icon_redface.gif She said icon_redface.gif maybe I shouldn't have graduated icon_cry.gif

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 11:18am
post #42 of 47

Oh these stories are sooo funny!!!!

I've done this twice myself. Luckily both were done with cutout letters. One was for the daughter of one my my parent's friend's. She ordered the clown cake in my gallery for her son's 1st Birthday. She didnt tell me she wanted anything spefic on it, and i decided to put the boy's name on gumpaste balloons. The girls father said to me one day i saw him at my parent's house, his name is the same as "avion" (aeroplane in spanish) but with an A. Oh ok, (stupid me should have rang the boy's mother instead of trusting his granfather).

So the balloons read, "AVIAN", when the girl came to pick it up, i didnt have it assembled, and i said to her, the balloons go like this, and i said "The name is right, right?" [STUPID TIME TO ASK!!!!], "Oh it doesnt matter" she says "But his name is ABYAN"
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH icon_redface.gificon_confused.gificon_redface.gificon_eek.gificon_redface.gificon_surprised.gif
So there i go to find my FMM cutters to cut out new letters and find some gold paint to paint the new letters in gold. Luckily i had the right number of balloons, if not, i would have been really tapedshut.gif

The second time i put something wrong on a cake, was on a Barney cake, again a balloon with the age, I put a 1 on it, and the father came to pick up the cake and says to me, "Oh it's really beautiful, but my daughter is actually turning 3" ARGH!!! tapedshut.gif I was sooo embarrassed, i ripped off the stuck on letter and drew on a 3 with an edible marker....

i can really laugh about it now icon_biggrin.gif
I think i should stay away from those gumpaste balloons icon_smile.gif
Nati

olana11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olana11 Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 11:46am
post #43 of 47

I painted a large mural for a bar once and after I was all finished the manager pointed out I spelt the bar's name wrong.... icon_surprised.gificon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 12:10pm
post #44 of 47

I don't have stories like these, but I was named after my grandmother, and the poor woman never spelled MY name right!!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 12:26pm
post #45 of 47
Quote:

I felt terrible for her. Now, she will be known as "the lady that put the head on backwards"

I've done it. The mispelling thing not the putting the head on backwards thing.

bithday, birtday, bihday, heck, I've even written happy birthday jeanne on a cake and it wasn't even for me!

Come to think of it, I've even had a company mispell their own name...aaaaaaaaaand, they used a computer program to write out the order to make sure there were no mistakes. HAHA! I laughed when they came to get the cake and complained that it was mispelled and I retrieved the order to prove it was written just as ordered HAHA!

Yjudania Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yjudania Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 12:33pm
post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

I don't have stories like these, but I was named after my grandmother, and the poor woman never spelled MY name right!!!

That's funny! Sounds like my mom. She refuses to say and spell two of my boys names right. Micah is Michael and Elisha is Elijah, she says we should have picked more common names! She is a real trip! LOL

sundaybegonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sundaybegonia Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 5:09pm
post #47 of 47

[quote="dolfin"]You are not an idiot, (at least it wasn't on national television like that poor lady who put the head on backwards on the birthday cake competition and she was a pro.)

I saw that episode to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%