Gum Paste...

Decorating By shoup_family Updated 14 Aug 2007 , 10:24pm by sunflowerfreak

shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 6

I'm thinking about using this to make the cage part in the front of a football helmet. From searching through posts I saw that fondant didn't dry hard enough and was susceptible to moisture. Can you please tell me...

How hard does gum paste dry??

Is it pricy??

Thank you!

5 replies
bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 6

Gumpaste dries rock hard. It is not expensive, you can get a can of gum paste powder for about $5 at Michael's or Hobby Lobby-type stores. Or, the ready made kind is about $8. There are also recipes for homemade, if you have the ingredients on hand.

I think the face mask will do better out of gp, I've done it with MMF over wires & that wasn't too great. Good luck!

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 6

It dries very hard and should hold up fine. You might extrude it from a clay extruder to make the grid. (You can buy one at Michael's for $1.25 if you don't already have one.) Allow at least a day for it to dry. Pastiage will also work. It's even stronger. No it's not expensive if you make it yourself. I use the Nick Lodge recipe, which is on his website. Good luck.

katerpillrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerpillrgrl Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 6

I'm a recent converter to pastillage and I swear by it now, but then again I'm in Texas. Summertime heat in South Texas and Gumpaste just don't go together as well as drier places. I see you are in Washington and may not require the strength of pastillage. Some say it's harder to work with but I found it quite enjoyable. I use Ewald Notter's recipe.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 6

Shoup-Family,
If you have the time, could you photo document the making of the grill? I'm thinking of doing a carved cake helmet for DH's birthday next year, and celebrating with a Super Bowl party. I'm nervous about making the grill part, though.
Thank you!

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 6

The grill of the helmet is the hardest part of making that cake. I've done 2 and have had trouble with both but I did use fondant on both. Haven't tried the gumpaste yet. It's so hard getting it the right size so that it fits the cake. Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%